Foosball.com Forums

Custom Table Build

Custom Table Build
« on: February 02, 2014, 01:49:39 PM »
Hi,

I am building a custom table based on a plan from
http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/better-homes-gardens/diy/articles/a/-/5832497/pattern-sheet-foosball-table/

I got the general structure figured out and plan to add proper opposite ball returns. I also ordered a full set of Tornado like men and bearings for 5/8" rod.
Main question is about the rods. I want a telescopic rod, but buying these rods makes building the table very expensive. I though about buying a 5/8" stainless steel tube and inserting a 1/2" tube or full rod as the anchor. Assuming a tight fit it should slide smoothly with some silicon spray. The problem is the men I have are made for a through nut-screw attachment. How can I attach it to the rod without a screw (at least not a through one). Any idea is welcomed.

Thanks

Re: Custom Table Build
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 01:57:06 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Tornado rods are 9/16ths and the men are attatched with a roll pin. Not trying to rain on your parade, and somebody please chime in if I'm wrong, just dont want you to waste time and money to find issues at the end stage. Regardless, good luck and keep everyone updated, sounds fun.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 03:07:35 PM »
Well... Tornado LIKE men  ;) .

Its 5/8" I checked. Everything is in place for the build. Just the rods are my dillema. I though about non telescopic rods, but I want a comapct table, without the ends hurting someone. I'll post a sketchup model showing the design with both options.
I also thought of carving the men from solid wood with a clamp screw (like the bonzini aluminium men)
or mayby slicing the plastic men I have from the head until the rod hole, and clamping the two pieces onto the rod and also throw in some epoxy to tighten it all up.
When I started thinking about this project I also considered casting the men directly on the rod.... but I am waiting for a more simple idea.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »
My bad man. I completely missed the 'like.' Whoops. Thats just the kind of stupid mistake that I wouldn't notice until everything was past the point of no return. Was trying to help. lol. I'm excited for you though and will definitely be watching your progress. One option that would be a lot simpler than telescoping rods would be rod guards. Not quite as compact, but has the safety factor. I've never used either, just a thought though. Definitely a lot less of a pain in the arse. Good luck with whatever route you take. I look forward to seeing its evolution. Pictures are a must.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 03:08:46 PM »
5/8"??....interesting...

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 03:50:00 PM »
I cannot think of anyway to have through-rod pins and telescoping rods (or at least anyway that isn't a crazy design...). The tables that use telescopic rods that I know of (Bonzini, Rene Piere, and Garlando) either have clamp-on men or the men are bonded/welded to the rods somehow. If you are set on using the men and rods you have already purchased, and they are "tornado-like" I guess I'd just try some kind of epoxy. But then what do you do when the middle man on the 5-rod breaks or comes loose (which of course it will, eventually)? You'd have to remove at least two of the men and then reglue three new ones. Sounds like a pain...

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 06:13:42 AM »
I built my own table last year. I looked at the plans you posted and have one important suggestion. Don't use a hand drill to cut the bearing holes in the side of the table. Use a drill press (or a drill guide at least, and try to get the hole spacing as accurate as possible. If the holes are out of whack even a little bit, the rods will bind up.

I know you already ordered the foosmen, but if you still have to get the rods, bumpers, and bearings it could get expensive. It might be worth trying to find a Tornado with a bad cabinet and cannabilize the parts.

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 03:49:05 PM »
OK. got the rods today. Stainless steel 5/8" tubes with 0.06" wall wall thickness and 1/2" tube that fits smoothly inside. They already run smooth, but with a silicon coat it would be perfect I think. I added pictures of the rods and man. The best idea I have so far is just making two parts of the player and clamping them together on the rod. I also started playing with some plaster molds. Maybe I'll try casting a plastic player or somethign more durable like cement...
Gathering some plywood and pine for the cabinet and I am ready to go.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2hd8z06.jpg
http://i57.tinypic.com/2u7n0ip.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/2vje5oh.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/6hiclt.jpg

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 05:15:07 PM »
Wow, very cool! If I did my math right, and assuming the 5/8" and 1/2" are outside diameters, you have five-thousandths of an inch clearance between the inner and outer rods, total, which translates to 0.0025" around the circumference of the inner rod. So, a couple of thoughts:

1. With such tight clearances, if the rod gets ANY bend in it at all, it will start to bind up.
2. Try a lubricant with Teflon. One of the nice properties of Teflon is that its coefficient of friction decreases as the pressure on the sliding surfaces increases. (I think I have that right).

Keep the photos coming!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:18:29 PM by kgstewar »

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 02:52:39 AM »
Hi,

Thinking about it I think the rods maybe too tight but I hope it will work out OK. I'll be sure to use the teflon spray. I just experimented with a piece of 3x3x10 cm hardwood: made a 5/8" hole and sliced it down the middle from the top to approximately 1/2" down the hole. I clamped it onto the rod with a through nut and screw and it was very tight. I had to put a lot of weight to turn or move it and it'll be better once I roughen the rod surface. the inside rod kept sliding smoothly. I think this is the way to go. maybe I'll  make a set of hardwood players and keep the players for another table...