Foosball.com Forums

Old school v. New School

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
Re: Old school v. New School
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 02:00:56 AM »
>>>Foosballer2013...You can do all those reasonably well on the previous Warrior.  I assume you can on the new Warrior as well.  I used to do the squeeze bank back in the day also.  If you had cork balls or the balls are really dirty, you can also add a masse option.  One of my partners did a great back pin bank with options of going split or either side of the goal. He was a Todd Loffredo look-alike.  They could pass as brothers.

>>>Jim Gilbert...Houston in the 70's? (or maybe south Texas)

>>> I think if more of the old guys would just get out and play, they would adjust to the snake.  If you've never seen one, they're a mystery to block.  Sometimes they still are.  One of my old partners was a pull shooter with a snake as a secondary.  When we would come up against some of the old schoolers, I would tell him to go to the snake to see if they had any idea how to block it.

>>> This thread should be renamed "Tournament play vs Bar room play".

The reason you see a limited variety of shots in tournaments has already been explained.  The variety pack shooters will pull the occasional upset or might have a good run, but the guys that are winning the tournaments go to their main shot and just execute.  The funsy shots are for when you're getting pounded, pounding someone, or just playing around.

I once told a friend of mine that foosball was more fun before I started playing tournaments.  Tournaments were more work, but the adrenalin rush I got from tournaments was more exciting than funsy play.  I play lousy pickup games.

Re: Old school v. New School
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 12:39:23 AM »
PapaFoos
Great post... I agree with a lot of what you said. Especially changing the title of this thread. Playing a drunk with a couple wins under his belt allows for a bit more funsy style play. Hit 'em from every angle i say. Tournament play is a whole different beast. Playing guys who are ready for and recognize most shots by the set up have to be exploited for the only weakness they may have. A well shot snake is lethal, no doubt about it. Wish i could add it to my arsenal. With a Franklin on the table you tend stick with what scores. Never really played much on the warrior but i hear it plays a lot like a TS.

Thanks for the post PF