Foosball.com Forums

Bought my first table, old Tornado coin-op, needs some work. New rods?

Hello everyone, first post here.

Started foosing in college on lunch breaks.  Moved into bachelor pad with a cheap Harvard table.  Searched around for a Tornado coin-op.
I finally pulled the trigger.  I took a risk on an old brown marble coin-op a guy had in storage.  Paid a little high, $500, but the playing surface is nice.  The counter inside shows 22,000 games.

Took a risk as the table wasn't playable (on a dolly cart). Could use some cleaning for sure.  I got 18 balls, 9 brand new.  4 extra men.  2 extra legs (2 of the legs have the laminate falling off).

What I ordered:
    2 oz Silicone
    Blanks for Coin-op
    Pin Driver
    New scoring pegs for both sides (old ones lost color) and one rod
    Bearing Wrench
    Bearing nut x2
    Bearing half x2
    Roll pins x50
All this put me back about $60.
Added in 8 rubber bumpers as one was broke and a few seemed on their last leg.  $20
I found a listing for a guy selling 16 new men for $20, so I figured I would pick this up just in case.
This will put me at about $600.

Looking at the rods, I don't think any of them are perfect.  Hard to tell without cleaning everything.  I know I for sure need 1 rod, and would be a good idea to upgrade a few more.  I just can't see myself spending another $300 on this table.  Do I have any options here?  Used rods from within the community?  Upgrade 3-man offense first, slowly upgrade others?  Straighten rods the best I can?  Or is this a must-buy upgrade?  This will put me at $900 total if I overhaul.

Like I said, only 1 is a serious issue (2 man defense).  It's playable but the bend is obvious.
EDIT: Just spoke with the gentleman I purchased the table from.   He has parts in the storage he told me I could pull any rods I found that fit, so I'll probably do that this weekend in hopes I can find a few.

I don't see too many any cheaper in my area.  It is very old, metallic feet. 

Thanks for taking the time to read this.  I've got solid push/pull shots, finally excited about getting a snake shot down. 

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:21:45 AM by teslacles »

You might try a rig like this to straighten your rods. I built this one to straighten Bonzini rods, but should also work for Tornado.

http://foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=5058.msg23614#msg23614
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 12:39:56 PM by kgstewar »

Where are you located at?

Chaggy - I'm in Houston.

Ok, so I've got everything I've ordered and I met up with the gentleman who sold me the table and another from Craigslist.

Some notes:

The original seller tossed in 4 rods (look like great shape, qty 2 3-man defenders, qty 2 3-man offense).  He also gave me qty 2 rubber stops and the key to the inside coin box lock.
The scoring rod I ordered was supposed to be the 6+" rod but I accidentally purchased the 3".
I purchased the 16 extra men for $20 bucks.

I'm now pretty happy with my purchase.  Sometimes I get paranoid that my table surface isn't perfect but whatever.  At my skill level this will be exactly what I need.

I will be completely disassembling the table and meticulously cleaning/repairing everything t his weekend.  I should take photos. 

Any cleaning tips/tricks/advice?

formula 409...
Don't worry about the two man bars... consider it a cost of doing business and buy new ones.