Foosball.com Forums

Just picked up a Tornado T3000, Restoration questions

Re: Just picked up a Tornado T3000, Restoration questions
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 11:41:46 AM »
Now all you need is to switch out that terrible white play field trim for the clear, thin stuff.  Get an edge up with a razor blade and they peel back really well and mostly residue free.  Play field trim is like $7 a piece and goes down easy.

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 12:01:56 PM »
Now all you need is to switch out that terrible white play field trim for the clear, thin stuff.  Get an edge up with a razor blade and they peel back really well and mostly residue free.  Play field trim is like $7 a piece and goes down easy.
Googled it, it does look better but not sure it's worth $20 (best price delivered I can find). Maybe if I go ahead and order a tournament score set. Anyone know where I can get the pictured score sets? I can cover my existing holes by shifting them like the 2nd pic.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 12:52:37 PM by john in nc »

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 07:15:49 PM »
The clear side strips are more than just an aesthetic improvement: They have a lower profile and enable you to shoot more-consistent bank shots. The white side strips are wedge-shaped and tend to launch a hard-hit ball up into the men.

You can buy wooden 8-disc game and 3-disc match scorers from Charles Mcintosh (and perhaps here as well). The big plastic scorers in the picture are now obsolete and may be harder to find.

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 05:49:48 PM »
I'm killing my deal with all these nickel and dime additions. Got the tournament disk sets coming and clear playfield trim. I may even paint the bearing nuts and the playfield securing bolts silver to complete the theme.

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 09:41:35 PM »
So I'll have 2 score rod sets on either side. 11 yellow/natural disks and 11 black, how do I arrange the colors? 8 and 3 I know but what colors on each for yellow side scoring on the left and black scoring on the black side left?

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 10:43:43 AM »
So I'll have 2 score rod sets on either side. 11 yellow/natural disks and 11 black, how do I arrange the colors? 8 and 3 I know but what colors on each for yellow side scoring on the left and black scoring on the black side left?
bump on the Q above.

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2014, 03:54:50 AM »
Didn't realize this was a stumper, Does not really matter, easily swapped around.

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 08:44:57 PM »
John,

I think that there is no "drop dead"set way to arrange your discs.  However, many of the tournament videos on youtube feature Tornado tables with the score discs for the yellow side arranged with the blonde discs being the first five "game" points and the 3 "match" points.  The last three "game" points are black.  Simply reverse the colors for the black side. 
  I recently rehabbed a brown marble and added the match score discs.  I did this by buying a single rod, 4 posts and 6 discs of each color.  I then just cut the rod in half.  Everything looks and works great. 

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 08:55:35 PM »
So on the Yellow side, score kept to the left side, match rod upper left, game score middle left.

Game score      Match
                     YYYYYBBB        YYY

Reverse for the Black side, got it.

Again, being a total noob. One more Q, How are these used?
Games are to 5 right? 3 games wins the match? Tracked on the match rod? What are the extra 3 on the game score rod used for? Is it like a tennis match where you have to win by 2 to win a game or what?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:28:29 PM by john in nc »

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 09:11:35 PM »
Reverse colors for the match scorers and you have it.

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 09:16:53 PM »
Games are to 5 right? 3 games wins the match? Tracked on the match rod? What are the extra 3 on the game score rod used for? Is it like a tennis match where you have to win by 2 to win a game or what?

From the ITSF rule book:

Unless otherwise stated by the tournament director, a match shall consist of 3 out of 5 games. Each game shall
consist of 5 points. The final game of the match shall be to 5 points but you must win by 2 up to a maximum of 8
points.

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 09:17:23 PM »
I should have referenced youtube to begin with:

Ahh, I see now. Thanks!!! The extra 3 are "overtime" for the final game.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:19:44 PM by john in nc »

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 09:18:01 PM »
In many tournaments, the third game in a best of three, or the fifth game in the best of five must be won by two goals to a maximum of eight.  I have a house rule that all games are played to five by two or eight straight.

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2014, 09:17:21 PM »
OK, NOW I'm done. Tournament scoring added & clear trim. About $430 invested. Still a great deal for a table that should last my lifetime. Even perfectly leveled the 1/6"sag in the center of the playfield by putting neoprene bumpers mounted to the top of the free play ramp that applies slight pressure and support to the center of the playfield. Now I can set a pool ball anywhere on the playfield and it stays put. Way overkill I imagine but I had the materials on hand so why not?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:36:20 PM by john in nc »

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2014, 10:11:18 PM »
Bravo John!  I believe that the clear side strips are well worth the price.  They both look and play better!