Foosball.com Forums

goal deflector/rattle board installation

goal deflector/rattle board installation
« on: August 24, 2014, 05:15:12 PM »
I am making a custom table as a project for my wood shop class, I want it to be as professional as possible. I am modeling it after a tornado table, but I don't expect it to be near as good as a real production table. Any way I have done a lot of research on tornado tables and I am confused about the goal box deflector and the rattle board.

How are they installed?

Where does the rattle board go in accordance to the goal box deflector?

Any and all advice is appreciated, pictures would be extremely helpful but not necessary.

Thanks again!

Re: goal deflector/rattle board installation
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:56:21 AM »
I think the rattle board is the same thing as a goal deflector. You need a piece of relatively thin sheet metal, angled about 45 degres down. Try to position it so a hard shot will contact it at the back of the goal box, and then deflect down. To install it you can either cut slots in either side of the goal box, or use two pieces of wood screwed close together to create the slot. I think it will be louder if left a little loose.

Here is a picture of the one I made. The metal is pretty thick so it rings like a bell. I think sound wise thinner is better.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:58:33 AM by foosnewbie »

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 07:25:40 AM »
Goal box deflector makes the sound. No such thing as a rattleboard.

http://www.valley-dynamoparts.com/docs/Tornado_BD_2010_Online.pdf

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 08:21:52 AM »
I can't see where it would go either but what is this? http://tornadofoosb.powweb.com/store/page19.html 1/2 way down next to ready ramp.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 10:22:51 AM »
Goal box deflector makes the sound. No such thing as a rattleboard.

http://www.valley-dynamoparts.com/docs/Tornado_BD_2010_Online.pdf
I stand corrected! Nowhere on the seemingly complete parts list from Tornado is listed the "rattleboard", unless it's called something else and I'm not seeing it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 10:29:14 AM by kgstewar »

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 10:27:10 AM »
It fits loosely in the grooves of the goal box.  I think they are made of plywood rather than mdf.  Jack Cole can give you more of the particulars.  He probably had a hand on all tables built in the 80's.  Maybe the 90's too.

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 11:50:27 AM »
Could this be a solution? Rattle board goes where the angled slot is. And goal deflector goes where the holes on the curved part are? I'm just going, purely, off of looks from the parts list.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:52:11 AM by benzter68 »

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 12:00:30 PM »
Sorry can't quite figure out how to post the picture. I'm certainly a rookie. haha
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:02:50 PM by benzter68 »

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 10:19:33 PM »
The rattleboards on my brown marble seem to be made of the same material as the ramps inside, only flat black on the finished side instead of gloss white.  They have a little flex to them and they don't chip when hit because of the "give" due to the slotted design of the goal frame.  If they are sized properly, they will flex just enough to be pushed into proper position by placing one end in it's slot and then pushing gently but firmly in the center until the other end pops into it's slot.  This must be done from underneath with the  goal box deflector removed.