Foosball.com Forums

Putting table over foosball table

Putting table over foosball table
« on: January 08, 2015, 05:26:05 PM »
Anybody ever place a solid table over heir foosball table.  Our table is setup in the living room and takes up more space than I had expected. 

For the other 90% of the time when we are not playing, I thought it might be helpful for the kids to have a worktable for their toys, crafts, etc.  As a side bonus, it would also protect the table from wear and tear.  What I was hoping to do is place some cheap lightweight table top from Ikea over top of the foosball table.  I would need to modify it so that it would stay in place and also clear the scoring markers.

I tried to search for this on the forums, but apparently nothing showed up or I did not have the search terms correct.

Suggestions?

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
Re: Putting table over foosball table
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 05:34:18 PM »
Years ago, Steve Murray had a nice table top for his.  There are several excellent wood workers on this forum who I think could come up with something.  As for woodworking, I know how to run a chain saw.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 07:53:28 PM »
Years ago, Steve Murray had a nice table top for his.  There are several excellent wood workers on this forum who I think could come up with something.  As for woodworking, I know how to run a chain saw.

I searched for Steve Murray and nothing shows up.  Can someone post photos of his table top or any other for that matter.  The search here does not return any topics on the subject.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 11:32:06 AM »
How about a piece of plywood with some wood blocks under it to lift it over the score markers? Notch the blocks so that they hook onto the sides. $20 of material, 1 hour of time. Depending on how pretty you want to make it, you can use hardwood veneer plywood and put nice edge banding on it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:33:33 AM by kgstewar »

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 09:03:35 PM »
Since its in our living room a sheet of plywood, however decorative will probably not cut it. 

Trying to make a useful table that looks good while providing protection while not in use.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 09:40:27 AM »
Trying to make a useful table that looks good while providing protection while not in use.

A table top built using hardwood veneer plywood can certainly meet that requirement, but perhaps you have a specific look in mind. Here is a picture of such a table top with incomplete edge banding http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FFK/VYHG/H58NIOH0/FFKVYHGH58NIOH0.LARGE.jpg . Infinite variety of hardwoods that one can use.

Only other way I know of to make a table top wide enough is to edge-glue hardwood boards together. Looks great but requires some woodworking tools (table saw, jointer, big clamps, etc.).

Certainly if you can/want to put some time and money into this project, you can create a beautiful table top. That said, it will be sitting on top of what is obviously a foosball table, so I think no matter what, the finished project will never be fine furniture :-)

And the super easy way out: Plunk one of these tables over the top of it!

http://www.wayfair.com/TMS-Belfast-Counter-Height-Pub-Table-20351OAK-TXR1175.html

Good luck!

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 10:32:17 AM »
Veneer is more hassle than it's worth.  If you can find a nice hardwood that you like, and one that matches the other wood in your living room you could make one.  There's only one problem, I don't know what your access to tools is like.  If you have access to a table saw and some bar clamps along with a few other small things (glue,drills, sand paper). then you could probably construct one within a weekend. Not counting staining and finishing your work.  Let me know if you're able to get a hold of these things and I can go into more detail on constructing your piece.

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 11:02:48 AM »
Veneer is more hassle than it's worth.

Hardwood veneer plywood is no more hassle than any other wood: You go to the store, you buy it. I think what you are talking about is applying the veneer yourself, which IS more work, but why do that when you can buy plywood that has the veneer already applied? Gluing up hardwood boards is a great solution but does require more tools and more effort than using hardwood plywood, but the OP may want to go that route.

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 08:32:25 PM »
I agree with you. I must've misunderstood. I thought you were talking about applying veneer yourself with contact cement onto plywood. Which, in my experience has never gone so well. haha But I hope you can find a nice sheet of ply wood with a quality veneer that matches the wood to your already existing table/ living room, that doesn't run your wallet dry. Best of luck!

P.S. Please keep us posted on your progress and tell us how it works out.  :)

P.P.S. I also apologize to kgstewar. I did not read your earlier post and basically just regurgitated everything you said about gluing up hardwoods. Sorry, that was my mistake.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 08:36:15 PM by benzter68 »

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 01:24:51 PM »
fyi... I use an ikea table top on my fireball with furnature sliders on each corner to protect the anodized finish; rubber and/or fasteners and/or right angle braces would be a better choice to keep the table top in position.   I had considered using two table tops joined together, but the table and cover were both awkward in height and size, more like a bar height table with rods by the knees.  I also noticed that I was starting to use the space as storage...  After reevaluation, I realized that I have a foostable for a reason... so I now keep it easy access and inviting play on.  I use the table top occasionally for other projects but it usually stays ready for action.

If I were to do this on my tornado I would remove or reposition the scoring beads and apply 4 grippy rubber pieces on the corners.  Being Canadian, I also considered using hockey pucks as a stand off and the new t3000 score counters. 

http://shop.foosball.com/tablefootpads.html