Foosball.com Forums

Is it possible to modernize a TS Table?

Is it possible to modernize a TS Table?
« on: March 19, 2015, 09:38:26 PM »
Well it got me thinking, My budget is around 400 but so far no dice on any tornado coin tops around me but. There is a brown top TS Table near me for sale for a decent price. It is missing a few guys which got me thinking, would it be worth it to buy a set of counter balanced men and a good textured ball for the table?

I mean as long as the playing field is flat and in good shape, This could work i assume since they fit on 5/8 rod sizes. And the color scheme of the men might not match but as long as it will play good i will be fine with it.

What do you guys think?

Total including the balls, the men, and the table I'm hoping will be around 120.

Re: Is it possible to modernize a TS Table?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 09:58:09 PM »
I think it will work out... but in the end you'll have a odd ball table with some strange characteristics. 

Most here would say don't waste your time, but I'd suggest it depends what your going for... carefree beer foos with the local hacks or a standard practice table?  Don't go there if you're thinking it will prepare you for tournaments or any kind of competition.  It will be too different in feel and capabilities.

If you do attempt a frankentable, you will likely have to sample some different balls and select  different bumper widths to match the figures you choose.  This can tame it's playfield characteristics and mate any mismatched parts....  Jim offers a good ball selection on this site and some of the warrior stuff is likely appropriately priced for what your doing.. 

I'd buy samples first to see what is going to work out.  Some of the 5/8 warrior stuff is pretty cheap on ebay, and bumpers / pins via their website.  I have measured the figures and the warrior 5/8 has the same height to bar length as TS so should physically fit... the figure attachment may present issues due to the pin vs nut bolt system.  (The rods are too expensive to change out so you'll have to figure something out).  I would stay away from the cheaper figures because most are crap.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 10:04:25 AM »
I upgraded a similar table. Split box Championship Soccer Table. Blue top, butcher block. Put fireball rods and warrior players on it. Fixed box problems and replaced the field. Plays nice but its not like my tornado or the warrior table we have in the office. Good table though, its the one my buddies like playing on.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 04:20:52 PM »
Alright so here is what i did. I picked up the table for 60 bucks. Then i bought 4 dynamo balls, and the warrior guys set + lube +  2 score posts. The warrior set came with pins and a pin punch so it shouldn't be a problem to put them together. It says they fit on a 5/8 rod so it should work.

It's getting shipped to be so hopefully it works out, in the meantime i cleaned the table and the rods and everything. I do plan on selling this table come summer time and probably will get a tornado. I spent about 600 bucks recently on track day and computer parts recently so my entertainment budget was low.

I just planned on playing for fun for a little bit, wanted a nice level table for awhile. I spent about $120 total.

I have all the parts so come summer time i will part with the table and probably go with a coin op tornado.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 08:49:52 PM »
Good Luck.  I'm pretty interested in how the w-figures fasten to those TS rods, some times the pins will work out with those fastening type rods sometimes its a bit sloppy.  Never tried a TS table so your experience is very interesting to me.  Let us know how it goes!

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 11:09:59 AM »
Alright here we go, i did it. It was a complete pain in the ass though. The rods had some rust on the ends and i tried my best to remove it. But anyways as i was putting the guys on they stuck on this rust and wouldn't move like at all.

With another person it took as around 2-3 hours i want to say just to put the dudes on. While we where putting the men on, we noticed due to the quality control of the rods, some of the rods would be slightly bigger towards one end some of the men had some of their innards shaved off.

Lining up was a nightmare as well, it was hard to aim for the man hole and rod hole.

It plays pretty good now though, the ball is pretty grippy so we lose control it sometimes ends up in dead spots. Also there is slight indentation in the table and if the ball hits those it kinda wanders off sometimes.

I would say it was worth it though for the 120 i spent. Better then the more expensive wal mart tables imo.

Here some pictures of the final product:

The Table

So close from hitting the goalie.

And with the Dynamo ball

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 02:56:28 AM »
That red warrior man is smiling!!!  ;D

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 09:32:42 PM »
Great table except those large grips I was never able to adjust too. Loved the smaller ones. If i found a TS table w large grips could I change them to smaller or would be stuck w them? I am looking for that same or near same vintage table..

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 10:45:28 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can change the grips. My rods where so old and rusted that my grips are pretty much stuck there unless i came up with some weird way to take them off. I was honestly debating getting new rods and handles but i didn't want to invent to much into this table.

I'm going to be selling this table around summer time and I'm going to get a Tornado coin op or a warrior table if those aren't available. Going to be moving to Hawaii and i want to make sure i pick up a good table before i move. Otherwise I'm stuck paying huge shipping fee and there isn't a lot of coin ops on Hawaii I'm sure.