Please help identify this Tornado
« on: August 10, 2015, 07:32:37 PM »
http://southcoast.craigslist.org/tag/5148697647.html

Also what do you think it is worth?

Thank you

Re: Please help identify this Tornado
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:07:02 PM »
Tornado Foosball Table - $650 (Westport) Rhode island

Seems quite pricey for an early home model similar to cyclone II with split bearings and end ball returns.  It probably has thin wall chromed rods, old sidestrips, old men, without the leg levelers.  However, as it is an early model and supposedly in very good condition it may fit your circumstances well justifying the price.  If your intention is recreational home use and the circumstances fit, this deal might work but it better be perfect.  It could be upgraded with newer coin op tournament parts but not really worth it.

The older tables were built well but laminate separation, mdf swelling, and bad control rods may be present.  Any playability and repair requirements on this one would make it a bad deal.  These home models make for awkward expensive repairs, some have inferior parts, and they do not have the resale value/market the coinops have to make most repairs or upgrades worth it.

Most every seasoned player prefers a split cabinet timeplay, coinop, or a cycloneII/elite which could likely be purchased starting at around $450 in your area.  Split cabinets have better parts and good parts availability/replacements.   

Often purchase price is only part of the equation when considering a foosball table purchase.  Selection in your area, purchase and delivery logistics, table condition/upgrades, and your aspirations all play a very sigificant role as well. 

I know you want to start playing asap, just insist on looking at each table closely.  MDF and laminate is easily damaged by fluids and humidity over time.   Also value your time if you find a good coinop and you want it; $200 is not much if you have to shop around, organize helpful friends, trucks, money, seller schedule, etc...   Keep in mind newer coinops can sell for $1000 or more so paying $800 for a really nice table is ok; you will get it back on resale if you inspect wisely.

To answer your question I think this one is over valued by at least a hunded dollars or more.  I would not buy it for that price.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 04:45:39 PM »
WOW Thanks for all that info.
I did go see the table and it is actually in brand new condition. It is a older gentleman that owns it, but never had anyone to play with. so it has sat for about 17 years. I didn't see any rust spots or separation of laminate. It looks absolutely flawless.
Do you think 400 would be more in the ball park for a fair price?

thanks

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 06:49:06 PM »
$400 would be an ok price for this table but if anything, on the high side. $300 would be better and Hackjob gave a good assessment. The lack of leg levelers is going to get annoying very quickly so adding those will be $50, new side strips will be $20, and old men will crack pretty quickly once you start playing a lot. Replacing those is $6 a pop.