Foosball.com Forums

Tornado Coin-Ops

Tornado Coin-Ops
« on: November 02, 2015, 10:38:58 AM »
Hey all, noob to the forum here.

I'll preface this post with a brief history in hopes the 'Pros' out here are kind and offer some great advice.  About a year ago, started playing some office Foos with several co-workers on an older Carrom table that has pretty much seen it's day.  The level of play has gone from casual fun to multiple daily sessions, and on to weekly tournaments.  None of us are pro-level players, but I'll say our play is no longer novice and is reaching more impressive levels as we all keep learning more shots and devlop our styles.

That being said, I've taken it upon myself to find us a replacement table that will last the next 3-5 yrs min.  I've read much online info, including some older posts here on this forum.  It's become obvious that Tornado is the premier table, with the Warrior table a parallel competitor.  Therefore, I'm torn between the options.

The options I have in front of me are:  Used Tornado Whirlwind (excellent) $300; Tornado Coin-Op (excellent) $675, Tornado Storm II (excellent) $600, and of course, a new Warrior for $600.  Does anyone know what fair market value prices are for these?  I wish there was a Used table Value Guide somewhere, such as a Blue Book source; does anyone know of one?  If not, I'm surprised one hasn't been created.  Anyway, I digress.

Just looking for some good input.  Not sure the protocol here, but please no torching of my post.

Appreciate what anyone has to offer.

Thanks,
Frankenstein

Re: Tornado Coin-Ops
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 12:16:44 PM »
Good info here. Even though it was written in 2009, prices are pretty current.

http://foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=2704.0

Personally, I'd go for the Tornado coin-op.

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 12:19:03 PM »
Since it sounds like some of your players may be wanting to get more serious, I would eliminate the Whirlwind even though it's much better than Carrom.  For only $75 more, I'd take the coin op over the Storm depending on the coin op model.  $675 is top dollar for a brown marble which is ironic because it's probably the best built of all the tables.  The issue with them is updates.  A lot of little changes have been made and you don't want to spend a lot on updates.  A later model coin op with updates would probably be a better deal and will still outlive you and your other players if maintenance is kept up.  Resale value on Tornado is also the best of any tables.  The new Warrior is by far their best playing table and easier to play for beginners.  Their issue is longevity.  The new models haven't been out long enough to establish a track record.

Tornado can vary in price greatly depending on location.  They seem to be far more expensive in some areas of the west coast and more reasonable in the mid-west and east.  I've seen them go for as little as $125 on up to $2500.

And don't worry about your post being torched.  ...as long as you torch the Carrom.  Actually, donate it to a boys/girl club or a high school to get them introduced to the game.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 12:22:35 PM by papafoos »

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 05:35:34 PM »
Good info here. Even though it was written in 2009, prices are pretty current.

http://foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=2704.0

Personally, I'd go for the Tornado coin-op.

Thanks kgstewar.  Lots of great info in the link provided. 

The Coin-Op IS the preferred table, but seems the $675 is overpriced, even though the Brown Marble is considered the best table made.  We'd like to keep our expenditure in the $4-500 range max.

Since it sounds like some of your players may be wanting to get more serious...

Yes we are, papafoos, yes we are.

The issue with them is updates.  A lot of little changes have been made and you don't want to spend a lot on updates.  A later model coin op with updates would probably be a better deal and will still outlive you and your other players if maintenance is kept up.  Resale value on Tornado is also the best of any tables.  The new Warrior is by far their best playing table and easier to play for beginners.  Their issue is longevity.  The new models haven't been out long enough to establish a track record.

Yes, I've read about the updates and that's an extremely good and valid point.  I will need to research a bit more to determine how to recognize whether those updates have been made or not.

I spoke with Warrior and while all sounds great with supporting reviews, as well as a great price point, I still find myself leaning toward Tornado.  It also begs the question of 1- or 3-man goalie.  We have become accustom to 3-man, so not sure how 1-man would change play, if any.

Tornado can vary in price greatly depending on location.  They seem to be far more expensive in some areas of the west coast and more reasonable in the mid-west and east.  I've seen them go for as little as $125 on up to $2500.

No kidding. I'm in FL and have seen a wide range of pricing.  Sadly, I missed the deal of the century two weeks ago.  A gal in desperate need of funds had listed a Coin-Op for $125 and by the time I saw it, it was gone.  Talk about a missed opportunity.  Someone scored huge on that one.

And don't worry about your post being torched.  ...as long as you torch the Carrom.  Actually, donate it to a boys/girl club or a high school to get them introduced to the game.

Yes, the Carrom will indeed be donated.

I appreciate the input gentlemen.  I will need to go inspect the local Coin-Op and, if updated, start the negotiation.  Thanks again.