Foosball.com Forums

Warrior dead spots?

Warrior dead spots?
« on: September 09, 2015, 06:35:03 PM »
Posted this under an earlier thread but hoping someone can give me advice I got my Warrior Table today!  A buddy helped me put it together. Was pretty easy overall. We both are beginners as beginners can be. Now, MANY times, the ball would just stop rolling and stuck between rods where none of the men could reach it. A real pain. The table seems very level. Now we both are terrible so I'm hoping this is due to the ball moving so slowly and pretty tacky. I'm going to order the balls Hackjob recommended and hope that helps but do tables have dead spots?  What to do if it does?  Thx.

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
Re: Warrior dead spots?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 11:01:46 PM »
Since you say you are beginners, it may not be the table.  I suspect you are just losing control of the ball and are unable to keep it in play.

Practice your ball control.  Start by seeing how many times you can bounce the ball between all the men on the three bar.  You may only be able to bounce it a couple of times before losing it, but you'll soon get to 5 or 6 times, then 7 or 8, then eventually many more.  Once you get your consistency on that bar, move to the five bar with your left hand.  The trick, especially starting out, is to let the ball bounce off the men without adding much extra power.  This will improve your smoothness and enable you to more easily set up the ball for your shots.  It also teaches hand/eye coordination which will help in all phases of the game.

Even the best players occasionally lose the ball to an untouchable area, just not very often.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 06:02:34 PM »
Ya, the times I played that table I found the center bottom of the corner ramps to have a bit of a dead spot, however the table seemed fine overall.   My opponent was a newer player, so it was likely him allowing the ball to roll slow into that part of the ramp area... As for me,  I haven't really played 1M goalie in 20 years, so it was a novel detail for my mind to recognize and avoid.  The american style 3M goalie does eliminate that ramp spot but introduces dead corners. There are times in my life I liked 3M and other times 1M.

Dead spots are an unfortunate part of the mechanics of a foosball table otherwise the figures would take a great deal of stress from dual contact situations. The best you can do is get different balls to improve the slow rolling characteristics. I would and did get a variety of balls to see what works best for certain recreational tables;  That factory yellow ball is more of a finesse type ball to help you learn technique;  Nobody I know really likes it.   Warrior designers likely picked it to temper the table a bit so brand new players have some element of control.   The tornado ball is pretty good ball, shelti very similar, and the fireball faster and slightly more wild.  I think warrior offers a faster red ball as well.

It's funny, now that I think about it, as players progress in skill and experience their subconcious just works to maintain positive control and avoid losing the ball to dead zones; when it does spit out, players give it a quick slice whack to get it away from both the dead spot and the opponent.    If I stall a ball, I look at it as a ball handling failure.  It is a good opportunity to cuss softly and rid myself of any unwarranted ego I may have developed.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 10:56:08 AM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm pretty sure it's all us and not the table. I think the table is fine, in fact I LOVE it. The corners haven't been the problem, it's more around the middle. But we are just beginners and not very good players. The dead balls don't happen nearly as much as we've improved, at least my kids have. They beat my $&$.

I don't have anything to compare it to but the Warrior table is rock solid. I've had no problem with the ball return as I've read others have had. It came with several pink balls that are very tacky and one orange ball that seems smoother. This is the ball we use although the tornado hr5 ones should be here today.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 12:27:39 PM »
I received the new tornado red 5hr balls I ordered off this site. They sure seem like the pink ones on the left in the picture on this site. I think I got the wrong ones. Is there much of a difference?  These new ones seem very similar to the Warrior pink ones I didn't like as well as the Warrior orange one.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 10:20:17 PM »
Well I think that pink rough textured ball is pretty much the standard tornado ball right now... the warrior pink I played was similar.  I heard a rumour there is new ball but I haven't seen it yet.

Warrior as far as I know has had a yellow, pink, and orange ball on their current table.  I suspect the orange ball has been well thought out for tournament use.  If you like it that is likely the one to be using for a number of reasons!

Offline FOOZUL

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 01:42:07 PM »
The new "faster" Warrior ball is avaialbe for purchase. (feels like nobody listens to me here)

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 09:31:26 PM »
Did someone say something? ( FoozulRazz  :o )