Foosball.com Forums

Brown marble home edition help!

Brown marble home edition help!
« on: December 25, 2015, 06:29:37 PM »
Hello All, Just found a brown marble home edition but am wondering if there is a difference in quality between these and the coin op ones? So far what I noticed is no split cabinet, rusted rods, white bumpers. I also would have to factor in driving 4+ hours to get it. $475

Another question, Has the prices changed on the T3000 used from Charles mac? I got a quote higher than some that I've seen on the forums? $1700

Any help would be nice since I"m looking to buy sometime this week.

Thanks!

Re: Brown marble home edition help!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 10:17:51 AM »
Let me be the first to say...not a very good deal. I think that would be high if the table was very good condition but with rusted rods which would cost ~$300   to replace I would pass on this one. 

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 11:25:43 AM »
Sounds a bit high but a decent table if in good condition.... ask lots of questions about the cabinet because the cabinet is difficult to repair. Due to its age the sidewall laminate may be damaged or separating.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 01:22:22 AM »
The brown marble home model not split top was probably the best non split top model they made but they are all at least 25 years old and many, like the one you describe here, have not been treated well. It can be a hard long process to find a good used coin op but that is part of saving money. During the time, save save save and plan on a new tournament used, $1650 plus shipping or better yet go to a tourney, pick out your table, have a weekend of fun, then drive home with your best present EVER.
You will never regret spending more for a new table. Have fun, if I can help, let me know. I have been off line for quite a while but I am going to stay around now to help whoever I can.  Good luck

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 01:38:19 AM »
I haven't talked to Charles Mac in a while but I will do some checking but I noticed Mary's tables are up to $1650 and I am sure Charles would match any price but let me find out what's going on. I have been tracking table costs, and other foos parts and such, since 2002 and learned some history along the way and there has been some increases last couple years but frankly, it's so small compared to inflation of other things...I bought a TS Brown top in 1980 and it cost $850...I bought a Honda accord hatchback brand new in 1981 for $11,000 and change. At that same rate of Oakton today, a foosball table should cost around $2500. Heck, the balls had there first increase in more than 10 years.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 02:09:20 AM »
Our hobby is pretty pricey to get started compared to say bowling but if you spend $1700 your table will last a minimum of 20 years and the only ongoing expenses are a couple men and bumpers each year and an oz or two of lube. You get 9 balls with the table and if you reverb them a couple times a year, you can play with near new balls all the time. Those first nine balls will still be good 8-10 years later...maybe more.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 02:20:38 AM »
Weekly draw your partner tourneys are still only $5 almost everywhere in the US...That what it cost in the late 70s...It's amazing.   What a hobby, what a game, you can play competitively well into your 60s...At least.  We don't know just how far yet since we are still learning because the first generation players are still alive and still playing.  Assuming Todd L. doesn't die young, God forbid, he is still among the best in the world at 56 and I don't see his 60s allowing him down much. He may be playing his best singles of his career now and he is definitely a better goalie now than he ever was. It's a great game!!!