Foosball.com Forums

Help - looking for a coin op in Houston

Help - looking for a coin op in Houston
« on: July 08, 2016, 12:37:14 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I really appreciate all of the good information on this site.  I've been looking for a Tornado coin op anywhere near Houston, TX for about three months now and haven't had much luck.  I'm even willing to drive 4-6 hours away and there just aren't many available lately.  I've been all over Craigslist and other local selling apps and have even tried speaking with about a half dozen local amusement vendors without any success.  I'm don't plan on tournament play but wanted something good quality to enjoy with the wife and kids.

The only ones I find seem to be over-priced, asking $800-1200, without the latest upgrades.  Are there any locals on here that could share any leads or advice for me?  I would have thought that the Houston area would provide some good opportunities but it doesn't appear to be the case.  Do I just need to be even more patient?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Re: Help - looking for a coin op in Houston
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 12:07:30 PM »
I've continued my search by harassing a few more "mom and pop" amusement vending companies around town and came across this one.  I believe that this is a Mahogany (2001-2003), correct? They are asking $475.

After much research I thought that I wanted an older Brown Marble or a later Grey Marble to try my luck at finding one with Merkel rods, targeting the $300-500 price range.  But I guess anything made before 2008 will have the older bearings and man (cross hatch 1/2 way up).  I guess what I'm asking is am I missing out on anything by considering this Mahogany instead of waiting on an older marble?  I understand this table is fast and that doesn't bother me but may not be best for the kids (now 5 and 3 years old).

http://s38.photobucket.com/user/Ryan4t4/media/Brenham%20Foosball%20table_zpsx5l7hhpj.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Thanks.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 05:25:17 PM »
For $475... i'd consider grabbing this table (if it's the one in your pic on photobucket)..
Especially if the rods are not bent/rusted... and the surface/sidewall aren't water/beer damaged.   The pic looks great!   You could always resell this table for $500 should you find a nice shape Brown Marble you'd rather have!

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 11:03:36 PM »
Roger that. A coin op is a coin op, correct?

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 01:43:47 PM »
I would still go with this one if it passes a visual inspection.  The only downside I can see from the picture is the lack of leg levelers.  They may still have them.  They just screw in if the hole isn't stripped.  Otherwise, it looks great.  The brown marbles have the reputation of being the best built.  In a home setting, this shouldn't matter.  It will still outlive you and your grandkids if maintained.

If you are in Brenham, you're half way between Houston and Austin.  There's a decent foosball crowd in both places.  If you miss out on this table, make contact with the other players.  They may be able to help you locate another one.  And in 4-6 hours, you're in reach of Dallas.  You'll be able to get a table if you're serious.

If you need help finding the locals, let me know and I'll give you some leads.  Check the DFW craiglist.