Foosball.com Forums

Foosball tips: how to block a pull shot

Foosball tips: how to block a pull shot
« on: December 03, 2017, 05:18:15 PM »
Hello foosers, here's my third guid, this time it's about blocking a pull shot, hope you'll find it somewhat useful (long read, but with some videos and graphics). Thanks in advance!
best foosball tables and tips
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:25:41 PM by freemanfl »

Offline crazy8

Re: Foosball tips: how to block a pull shot
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 08:12:22 AM »
A beginners guide to playing beginners.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 08:39:13 AM »
What can I say, thanks for presumably reading it till the end

Offline crazy8

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 10:09:07 AM »
Pull shooters have many more options than you list. I shoot six basic holes/shots with some options off those.  It is at least as difficult to defend as a rollover. Many/most will say more difficult.
In order to defend it is necessary to understand the offense. Also a good pull shooter won’t always shoot the bigger hole. Actually with a race defense I’ll shoot the hole the defender is exiting.
1). Straight or short.
2) short-split cutback.  Second dot.
3) brush to the long hole from second dot.
4) long brush from one dot after the big dot
5) the Seven. Cutback from one dot past the big dot. To split the race defense.
6). Long and square

These are the basic pullshooter holes. I didn’t even mention the straight middle dot shot you list. A good pullshooter will pick you apart until you look like a leftover turkey carcass if you don’t know what they’re doing. Shot #2 can look like you’re outrunn8ng the shot when in fact you’re getting split. Same for when the Seven is shot against you. Looks like you were there but you’re not.

These shots can all be performed from a standstill or on the roll.

Offline crazy8

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 10:18:57 AM »
Try to race be and I’ll shoot #3 and #4. Maybe shoot behind you with#1.
Race with your men spread out a little and I’ll shoot #2 or #5.

Defend with a crossover defense and I’ll shoot #4 or split you with #3. Or #1.
Et cetera.

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 01:21:21 PM »
Wow. easier, cowboy, no one is gonna race you long after you show these little "fakes", the point was to teach rookies to play the odds and not get lost in every possible shot.
Even these six shots you've listed are not all there is to be aware of when playing defense. I can see at least six more, but again, most of them are blocked by default in a standard defense I've explained previously (since every rookie needs some sort of fundamental way to play and then develop their skills further. The problem is that I've only mentioned that in previous guides and not this one, it's fair to say this is my mistake. The concept was 'how to play the defense as an underdog'). Also, yes, this guide is written in simple language, for beginners, intentionally.
This is why I advice to race long, so they have an idea of what can happen.
I really appreciate you trying to give some constructive criticism (even tho it took you two attempts to do so), but I actually covered the shots you mentioned and the downsides of racing long. Obviously, your opponent can just do the little pull and then shoot all the holes you've left open behind by racing long pull shot. There's a whole paragraph I wrote about this. Short version:
"Technically this is the wrong approach and can be punished in different ways. For example what my friends call the Soft Palm style during our games in bars. In a nutshell they mean going counterintuitively slowly with your pull. You can see, why that would work versus someone who just blindly races your shots."
The reason I didn't go further in-depth about this concept is very simple - I've never seen this used in a pro match. Okay, maybe once in 100 games, by players like Don Swan. Actually, I rarely see this at any semi-pro tournaments I attend. These types of fakes girls use in bar games. A pro player is just confident no one can race his long pull, or he shoots early.
And of course I can't agree that pull shot is as dangerous ass snake/pin. If that was true, you would see pro scene dominated by pull shooters.
If you're a pro player, it would be stupid of me to keep arguing, and the fact that there aren't any factual mistakes in the guide will be enough. Again, I really appreciate the criticism, especially since you were the first one to give any at all. Just wanted to defend the piece (maybe I'm being overly defensive), since imo I didn't completely dismiss the important shot's you've mentioned, I just stated that a rookie should focus on other things.

Offline crazy8

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 01:26:22 PM »
So we agree: A beginners guide to playing beginners. My bad. I tried to encourage those with aspirations of moving to a higher level. “Rookies” are actually at that higher level and need to understand that you don’t , actually can’t, block the entire goal. (Touring ‘beginners’ would know this as well.)You must, however learn to block individual holes. Once you can do that you can identify their go-to shot and those with which they struggle.  Then, of course, you try to force them to shoot their secondary shots.
This is the logic behind playing better players in order to get better - you and your opponents constantly adjust to improving competition.

Personally, understand that I care little of how your ego is impacted by my sharing of experiences and insight.  Though I don’t mind commenting on it.  If I feel that someone’s statements need comment or rebuttal I feel no compulsion to limit the number of posts I make in order to please you. Nor am I inclined to promote a knock-off version of reality because of the perceived limits you’ve placed on your targeted audience. 

Frankly, your implication that shooting holes other than long are ‘fakes’ call into question your experience. Are you just Passing along ideas as they come to you?
Cowboy

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 05:05:39 PM »
Crazy8,

Just a thought..if you did not start with a smart-ass remark the conversation could have been much more constructive. To top it off getting all irritated because your post(a "stay in your lane" perhapse?) generated a negative response...?  An ambassador for the game you are not.

If only you put as much effort in your first post explaining your views on learning "D" as you did on your last post explaining how you won't stand for being "disrespected"...

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 12:15:56 AM »
Crazy8,
 What I said

'Well, in general, he can go for a straight, middle or long, long being the easiest option for the offense.' We're talking the 'unraceable' shot here...

You go

'a-ah! If he races my unraceable long, I can shoot these 6 holes the defender is exiting!'.

Really, that's your point of criticism? You won't even go for the easiest hole even if I leave it open and risk racing? :) In a competetive match this means you simply can't abuse it (Congrats, you've  just established yourself as a proud white belt of pull shot. Split my defense now.) and  for that I'll pick you apart until you look like a leftover turkey carcass. Come at me with your 'I’ll shoot the hole the defender is exiting' bs or don't bring it up at all.

Not having this obvious edge/option means you lose. I'm sorry for promoting a knock-off version of reality, but that's how it works. At a high level.

'“Rookies” are actually at that higher level and need to understand that you don’t , actually can’t, block the entire goal.'

Literally said that it's an uphill batle and that the offense player has several holes at all times. But hey, we'll let you protect this divine knowledge and the audience from my perceived limits and practical advice.

Btw continuosly calling me a beginner and dodging a question about your own level of expertise went totally unnoticed, we can agree on that! Thank you for taking time to read all of this!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 12:17:05 AM by freemanfl »