Author Topic: How to clean (restore?) Gerflex?  (Read 770 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Zack Pease

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 1
How to clean (restore?) Gerflex?
« on: July 05, 2018, 10:32:07 AM »
Recently purchased a 1972(ish) RP bluetop and the gerflex is in good condition, it just needs a good thorough cleaning.  Do I clean it with something like pinesol and elbow grease, or should I buff it/wax it or something?    Thanks!

Offline Vann5

  • Member
  • *
  • Posts: 8
Re: How to clean (restore?) Gerflex?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 03:27:15 PM »
Hi Zack, I too purchased a RP bluetop circa 1971 last December.  Was really lucky to find one in Baltimore in generally good shape with all the handles--everything but the legs of all things.  But I can build /match those with some simple woodworking. 

Just my opinion--I'm not an expert for sure--but I wouldn't use something as harsh as pinesol.  I used Armor All Car cleaning wipes--they have a light detergent in them and are just damp and have that microfiber structure that act like a buffer with some elbow grease.

I couldn't believe how much grime came off...the dingy blue turned to a brighter blue and I had 10-15 pretty dingy/dirty wipes at the end.  Could probably use baby wipes too for that matter.  If I could post a picture I would--the results were very nice.

My top had was a little stiff when cold and needed to be re glued as it had some waves/bubbles in it.  Just took it outside into the hot sun today and rebonded it with 3M 80 adhesive spray.  The heat made it more pliable and separate from the wood surface more easily.

So is the original vinyl or linoleum?  I've heard linoleum, though hard to tell.  After a lot or research on linoleum, I decided to apply a light coat of boiled linseed oil (Home Depot in paint section)to the top after rebonding  it, since linseed oil is a component of linoleum.  To try to rejuvenate it a bit since it is 45+ years old.  Anyway, it seemed to help the pliability.  If it is vinyl, it probably cant hurt anything--just wont soak in or help much.  Anyway, after the cleaning and wipe down it looks really good.

Good luck.