Foosball.com Forums

Question: How to make rods more SMOOTH?

Question: How to make rods more SMOOTH?
« on: April 30, 2019, 04:21:56 PM »
Hey guys,

So I have a Cherry T-2000 and have purchased the upgrade kit and replaced all rods, men, bumpers, playfield strips, etc.

The problem I have is the "smoothness" of the rods aren't what I'm accustomed to on a T3000.

I noticed the drill holes where the grooves of the bearings go into are not drilled properly. The holes aren't aligned so when I try to fit in the bearing, one side goes in and the other side doesn't so it doesn't fit flush.

What I did was remove/cut off one side of the grooves so that it can fit flushed to the wall. I did it for all the bearings so it fit properly into the hole (One fits in, the other doesn't since it seems like a manufacture defect).

Is there anything else I can do besides lubing the crap out of the bearings/rods to make it more smooth?

I feel like the bearings tighten to the point where it slightly deforms the plastic bearings a bit.

Maybe someone with a similar issue can enlighten as assist this noob?

Thanks!!!

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
Re: Question: How to make rods more SMOOTH?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 12:26:12 PM »
Make sure the table is relatively level. I have seen a situation where the cabinet is actually twisted because of the un-level floor and the rods dragged as a result. I have owned at least 50 tornado tables and have yet to see one with the issue you are describing. I guess it could also be an issue w/ warping. Can you see evidence of water or humidity damage anywhere else on the table?

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 03:05:40 PM »
Thanks for the response!

My table is as leveled as it can be. I was able to make one of my 3 rod much more smooth by loosening the bearings and tightening it just enough so it doesn't move/turn.

I read on this forum where there were some tables where they drilled the holes incorrectly for the bearings. I'm not sure if sanding my brand new bearings will help. Maybe it will help, however I don't want it to be "loose" on the inside.

Also,

if I pulled the 2 rod to the near wall and push it as hard as it can, how many times should it bounce to the far and back to the near? When I do it on mine, I go as hard as I can and it goes to the far wall, then near, and barely touches the far again. Is that smooth enough? From what I recall, I don't even have to push it that hard for it to do that.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 04:12:24 PM »
I have a Grey Marble and when I tried your 2 bar test, my 2 bar hit far wall, near wall, far wall and stopped about 4 inches from bumper edge to bearing or far wall. I feel like my rods are smooth but not a silky smooth as a T3000. I think the rod material/finish is the difference (maybe weight too). My bars are Merkles and are glossy while T3000s seem like more or a satin/matte finish, maybe they hold more lube if not glossy.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 12:51:18 PM »
I have a Grey Marble and when I tried your 2 bar test, my 2 bar hit far wall, near wall, far wall and stopped about 4 inches from bumper edge to bearing or far wall. I feel like my rods are smooth but not a silky smooth as a T3000. I think the rod material/finish is the difference (maybe weight too). My bars are Merkles and are glossy while T3000s seem like more or a satin/matte finish, maybe they hold more lube if not glossy.
Thanks for the response.

On my test my results are similar to yours.

Also, I have upgraded my rods, bearings, bumpers, handles, and men to the T3000 model. Im trying to think of what can make it feel different. Perhaps, the T3000 is drilled more precisely and everything just fits better.

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 03:46:46 AM »
Shaolinmilk, did you ever resolve the bar smoothness issue?  I bought a cherry t2000 too and am in the process of upgrading to t3000 parts.  I have not yet bought the bars yet, only the bearings, players, and handles and new balls. Just ordered them but can cancel and don’t want to waste my money for the upgrade if it doesn’t help.  Thoughts?  I noticed the feel of my rods are not as smooth as I’d like and thought switching out the bearings would help.  Am willing to buy new rods too but only if it solves the problem.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks!

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 01:09:07 PM »
Another idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRpQzCT5GKs&feature=youtu.be

Great post. Im going to try this. I dont really want to pull a rod out so Ill just use the end of the 2 bar instead. This guy makes good videos for drills you can work on too. Way better than the Chase guy and the unreal foos guy imo.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 07:35:20 PM »
Shaolinmilk, did you ever resolve the bar smoothness issue?  I bought a cherry t2000 too and am in the process of upgrading to t3000 parts.  I have not yet bought the bars yet, only the bearings, players, and handles and new balls. Just ordered them but can cancel and don’t want to waste my money for the upgrade if it doesn’t help.  Thoughts?  I noticed the feel of my rods are not as smooth as I’d like and thought switching out the bearings would help.  Am willing to buy new rods too but only if it solves the problem.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks!
Hey sorry for the late response. I refitted all the bearings and it improved. I am going to try the trick in the video above.