Foosball.com Forums

How to paint players?

How to paint players?
« on: August 11, 2019, 07:04:36 PM »
Hi all,
I've recently purchased a foosball table for my family and the kids have requested that I paint the players.  Just wondering if anyone has experience with this and is willing to provide some recommendations?  I imagine paint could easily chip off during game play if not done correctly.  The players are Garlando plastic fused onto the rods.  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
Re: How to paint players?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 11:15:21 AM »
I know on certain tables, automotive paint works well. I don't know much about Garlando tables but if the men are plastic, why would you need to paint them? Plastic is usually the same color all the way through, isn't it?

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 09:35:35 PM »
Thanks for the tip on automative paint - the kids want me to paint the faces, hair, jerseys etc to make the players more lifelike!  I used to paint models/figurines as a kid, so could do it, just thought someone might have advice on primers and varnish or lacquer to help protect the paint.  I've seen plenty of pics of vintage tables with hand-painted players...

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 11:54:21 AM »
My only experience is painting aluminum Bonzini figurines. I used some automotive paint, which worked very well, and I used plain old Testors enamel, which worked fine but is not quite as glossy as the auto paint. They are both very durable and do not need a clear coat on top of them. The auto paint may have some solvents that could damage the plastic so if you go that route, do a test on a small area first.

To draw on eyes, mouth, etc. I used extra fine Deco color enamel paint pens (red and black).