Foosball.com Forums

How straight are new rods supposed to be?

Offline RJS

How straight are new rods supposed to be?
« on: November 29, 2019, 04:26:38 PM »
Hi all,

New to this forum and the sport. I used to love playing the game at highschool, but after that there were little opportunities to play anymore. This is the reason I ordered the Garlando foldy evolution. I only have a 2 room apartment so it's great they make them foldable. But I do wonder if it is normal on a new table that hardly any rods are completely straight? The worst one on my table spins like this: https://youtu.be/L31-BG4_L2A Would you consider this a normal deviation? Thanks for reading. :)

(For your reference in the video it is the rod with 2 players (longest one) and pulled out all the way. Also the rods are hollow and not telescopic.)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 04:45:30 PM by RJS »

Re: How straight are new rods supposed to be?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 09:16:17 AM »
seems like a lot of wobble for new rods.... usually its easier to tell by seeing the other end wobble it eliminate rod bend vs a handle that isnt quite square/concentric. Where did you play in HS? I dont need an exact school district (a region is fine) but I have a couple foos tables in my classroom and it fairly rare for schools to have them.

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 08:19:42 PM »
... But I do wonder if it is normal on a new table that hardly any rods are completely straight?...

Rods should be perfectly straight on a new table.  :-(   Sorry to see so many lower quality tables on the market these days.
It's not uncommon to see average or below average tables "new straight rods" start to bend (especially the longest 2man rods) after some aggressive matches.   Higher end tables - will survive tough play and the rods will stay straight/true!!    Here's a sample video of high end table/rod in action.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cx7SrBLOJo

Offline RJS

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 03:25:08 AM »
@ShopTeacher : It definitely is not just the handle, I can see the sideways motion in most of the bar. I'm from the Netherlands, so I don't think it will mean anything to you where I went to highschool. ;) Foosball tables in highschool are not uncommon here.

@JimWaterman : That is what I was thinking; it shouldn't be too difficult to manufacture straight rods in the factory. Are you talking from experience by calling this model/brand low quality? In Europe, Garlando is quite a well respected Italian brand. I paid over € 900,- for my table and it has a lot of nice features (sandblasted glass playfield, leg levellers, players molded on the bars, ball bearings, chrome plated hollow steel 16 mm rods, a sturdy foldable construction with wheels and at 78 kg it is quite a solid table). So I'm thinking maybe it is a previously returned product or showroom model. I'm glad you guys agree with me that it is not normal, so I will contact the store to resolve this.

I also was wondering could I just upgrade the rods and players in the future from another brand? (weighted men would be nice). It looks like 16 mm is pretty much a universal diameter, but I do think table sizes differ a bit between brands, which might result in different lengths of rods?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 04:43:08 AM by RJS »