Foosball.com Forums

question about Tornado rods and bearings

question about Tornado rods and bearings
« on: February 26, 2020, 09:43:49 AM »
Hi, I just bought a used Tornado elite, and performed a cleaning and tune up. As part of the tune up, I decided to replace all the split bearing halves. I contacted tornado to see how tight to make the nut, and they said to tighten until you feel it grab and then back off a bit. The problem is that I am not feeling it 'grab'. Is this a very subtle grab, or am I doing something wrong?
Also, one of my two man rods has a very slight wobble. I would love to hear from others about how much of a bend is acceptable before replacement is considered. Thanks!

Re: question about Tornado rods and bearings
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 08:13:07 AM »
Hi, I just bought a used Tornado elite, and performed a cleaning and tune up. As part of the tune up, I decided to replace all the split bearing halves. I contacted tornado to see how tight to make the nut, and they said to tighten until you feel it grab and then back off a bit. The problem is that I am not feeling it 'grab'. Is this a very subtle grab, or am I doing something wrong?
Also, one of my two man rods has a very slight wobble. I would love to hear from others about how much of a bend is acceptable before replacement is considered. Thanks!

Bearings: No need to crank down on them, just make them "snug". If they aren't loose, and don't come loose during play, they're fine. Like you, I've never felt a "grab". Don't overthink it.

Rod wobble: How much wobble is too much is up to you and your budget. A "very slight wobble" won't affect play. Most wobble is only noticeable when you spin the rod, which you never do (or shouldn't do) during play. Use it until you decide it's bugging you too much then replace. From your description, I would keep it for now.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 08:17:27 AM by kgstewar »

Re: question about Tornado rods and bearings
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 09:05:59 AM »
I did what Ryan Knapton did in this video and it helped a lot to smooth rough feeling / slow rods. I did it to new bearings too, not worn bearings. Its worth the time and effort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRpQzCT5GKs

How To Lou also did this and made a video illustrating the effectiveness:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ga-9-umFOs