Foosball.com Forums

Constant Slight Downward Pressure On Rods?

Constant Slight Downward Pressure On Rods?
« on: May 02, 2020, 04:14:27 PM »
I am working on my game. I have been watching tutorials, reading forums etc. I own a T3000 and have been practicing. I would say I am Rookie level.

I am trying to achieve a consistent way to play. Working on fundamentals. Does this train of though sound good (below)? Which items are wrong? Thoughts?

With both my left and right hands I am always resting the weight of my arm on the rods. I am not actively pushing down on the rods but the weight of my arms during play naturally slightly forces the rods down.

I do this because at all times I want to be able to snap off a shot with a downward force / torque.

I discovered a month ago that my tendency was ALWAYS to slightly be "pulling up" on the rods. I feel it was a mistake.

When I wanted to shoot (or pass) I would then switch to a downward force on the rods. I feel this was inefficient and I have now changed it.

Now I ACTIVELY make sure I ALWAYS have slight downward pressure on the rods. Never "neutral" pressure. Never "upward" pressure.

I ACTIVELY make sure I have downward pressure on rods for defense and offence. Not much. I just like to feel the weight of my arms resting over the rods. When I shoot or pass I want to compress the rods. So I feel this set up is efficient.

I have never seen this subtle setup talked about or addressed.

Thoughts?

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:16:22 PM by superstar3000 »

Offline crazy8

Re: Constant Slight Downward Pressure On Rods?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 07:13:36 PM »
IMO - any pressure at all increases friction and friction makes the rod go slower.  Also, I find that the ball is more likely to bounce off a man when I apply downward pressure to the handle.  I guess it's a matter of preference.  As a pull shooter, I like the rod to float.