Foosball.com Forums

Deep cleaning the grime

Deep cleaning the grime
« on: January 26, 2021, 04:11:52 PM »
Hi everyone! I've been a member for a few weeks now and I'm pleased to announce that today (with the help from this site) I became the proud owner of a Tornado Cyclone II table that was in really good shape. I say good shape because lets be honest, it's 2021 and the Cyclone II hasn't been produced in over a decade. lol. 

With that said, the table, while not appearing that it was abused, was definitely neglected when it came to normal cleaning and maintenance. The good news is that the playfield is flat with no signs of warping or delamination, the rods are all straight with no signs of pitting or rusting, and the table shell is in excellent condition. The bad news though is that pretty much every other aspect of the table, while in great shape, is really dirty and needs a really good deep cleaning.

I just ordered the pin punch tool and the hex wrench and I'm planning on taking every rod off the table to deep clean the rods, players, bearings and table itself. I saw a few threads on general maintenance on this site, but was curious if someone can give me some advice on a deeper clean.

For instance:

1) Outer Shell: How do you guys clean the outer laminate table shell?  There's something sticky that dripped down the side on mine. I was thinking of using Simple Green or Formula 409, but I didn't know if those would stain or harm the outside laminate shell so figured I'd ask first. Also, I guess as a follow-on question, after it's been restored, do you guys use Pledge or anything else on the outside shell laminate to keep it looking good?

2) Men: Is there any trick to doing a deep cleaning of the men?  To say they're dirty is an understatement. I was thinking of letting them soak in hot soapy water for a while and then using a hard bristle scrub brush to try and get all the black stuff off them. With that said though, besides soapy water, are there any other cleaning supplies that I can use on the men themselves? Ie: could I let them soak in a mixture of water and Simple Green? Or would the Simple green discolor the men or dry out the rubber/plastic they're made of? If you can use something like this, what dilution would you suggest?  50% simple green to 50% water?

3) Table Surface:  I read a post where someone used rubbing alcohol to clean the inside table surface and the inside sides. Another post said they used Windex.  Is one better than the other?  Is there something better than these? And I assume you don't spray the liquid onto the table surface, but more or less spray a cloth and then use the cloth to clean the surface right?

4) Rods: It sounds like the easiest way to clean the rods is just a wet towel and then dry them off right away. Can you use any cleaners on the rods or is that a no-no? There is definitely build up on the rods that needs to be cleaned and just wasn't sure if I should stick to plain water and elbow grease or if there is another option.

5) Bumpers: I think I read to just take them off and let them soak in soapy water for a bit so I think I'm good there.

6) Bearings: I found a good tutorial on youtube on how to clean and refurbish the bearings so I think I'm good there as well.  I also ordered some silicone liquid that has a cloth applicator tip as well so I'll apply that to the rods and bearings once everything is back together.

7) Balls: The table came with one really beat up white ball. I decided to scrap it and I ordered 6 of the Tornado Tournament Red Balls instead. From what I read, I just need to watch these with soapy water every once in a while as well.

Thanks everyone in advance and sorry for the lengthy post!

Offline crazy8

Re: Deep cleaning the grime
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 04:16:50 PM »
I like to wash the playing surface with 94% rubbing alcohol. Hard to find lately so been using grain.  So soap on the surface!
Balls and men - scrub brush with Simple Green, rinse, then rinse with alcohol.
Bumpers - like the balls.
Table outside - just clean it.
Rods - alcohol only. Then thin coat of foos lube, not some Pep Boy spray.

Re: Deep cleaning the grime
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 10:58:23 PM »
For the table surface, peel off the white side strips first, then shop vac the edges. You can use doubled tape to put it back on or even better order some clear ones after the surface has been cleaned.  Use a toothbrush for the mens feet too, when you dry them,  tap the players heads on a cloth or rust will form inside.  The rubber bumpers,  I would use a tooth pick to get the most of gunk out in the "sleeves" or it will come out during play which make a mess on the table and foosballs.  If the rubber bumper is hard and dry. Replace them.  Be better for the men and rod bearing sides I think.  Just be careful with black score beads when you wipe them clean. I had to touch mine up with some black paint as well as in the ball drops and the ball return opening.  It will look new.  The goalie opening, I would try to wipe them clean. Make sure its dry, use some crazy glue to harden the sides to avoid future blow outs and saves your white laminate edge. For the handles, use wraps, it's so much better!  Congrats on your new Tornado!