Foosball.com Forums

Back side of goal mushrooming

Back side of goal mushrooming
« on: February 04, 2021, 05:23:29 PM »
I was doing a search and found this old article:

https://www.foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=3008.msg28753;topicseen#msg28753

I originally responded to it, but then realized that the article was part of the archives and not general chat so figured I'd ask here instead to see if it could get more exposure.   

I'm curious, for those of you that used Hard as Nails and Super Glue to fix the goals, how has it been holding up and performing over the years?  My used table front side goal laminate looks pretty good, but I do have some mushrooming on the backside like the picture in the linked post, but they are a little worse than that.  I was thinking of using a c-clamp to pull the back mushroom in towards the front and then thinking of applying either the super glue or tough as nails to it while it's clamped so it can soak in and hold it together.

Just curious if anyone can give an update on the longevity of either of these methods.

Thanks!

Re: Back side of goal mushrooming
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 06:08:04 PM »
I used super glue. Seemed to slow (if not stop) the issue. Prevents the ball from tearing the fibers in the MDF. It darkened the MDF... but who cares. It was more of a preventative treatment, I had very minimal tear out but it has not progressed since applying the super glue.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 06:10:43 PM by ShopTeacher »

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 06:32:12 PM »
Thanks ShopTeacher!

Curious, if you used clamps, how long did you wait for it to dry before removing the clamps?

And how long after you applied the superglue before you played on it?

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 08:48:28 PM »
No clamps, I did not attempt to squeeze anything back together. Super glue dries very fast, usually within a minute or so. If you waited an hour, youd be fine. I soaked in pretty well because its so thin and did not seem to swell the mdf. I did tape up the wall and play surface around the goal, in case I got sloppy.

Side note: Alaskan Thunder (seems like a long time fooser and seen/dealt many tables) does not seem to think goal blow out is an issue any more on the Tornados.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:51:12 PM by ShopTeacher »

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 01:42:48 AM »
I did what Shop Teacher suggested. I used crazy glue, let it dried over night.  I also had it capped with a plastic corner guard afterwards. Used contact cement and clamps to hold it in place over night.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 01:52:13 PM »
Tookoolfoos, any chance you can post some pictures of the plastic guards you put in?  How long ago did you do it and how is it holding up?  Thanks!

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 05:47:40 PM »
ST, I won't say it's not an issue at all, I just have not seen a single newer table with blown out goals. I have had some laminate issues in that area with 2 icebox t3000's but I think that was really a separate problem as a result of excess humidity where they were being kept. I will say that even my personal 1 year old t3000 coin op is starting to show a bit of wear on the back of the MDF inside the goal but it's so minor that I'm not remotely worried about it. Superglue will not hurt anything at all so def no harm in using it to harden an area no one will ever really see.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 05:48:57 PM by alaskan thunder »

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 06:23:29 PM »
It was done about 5 months ago. No issues so far, no cracks on the plastic, and hasn't it fallen off as of yet.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/192132700@N02/shares/24M868