Foosball.com Forums

Should I buy this table

Should I buy this table
« on: August 09, 2021, 10:15:20 AM »
I’m fairly new to foos but looking to get more serious. I’ve had a hard time finding a coin op but found this one. $500. Looks to be in good shape. There is a small crack in sidewall but appears to be just cosmetic. What’s up with the score assembly? That can’t be original? Also looks like the grips are taped up or something. Anyway is this a good buy? Any concerns? Pictures below. Thanks!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mrH8NMuJ7nePrSxK7

Offline crazy8

Re: Should I buy this table
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 12:04:19 PM »
I’m fairly new to foos but looking to get more serious. I’ve had a hard time finding a coin op but found this one. $500. Looks to be in good shape. There is a small crack in sidewall but appears to be just cosmetic. What’s up with the score assembly? That can’t be original? Also looks like the grips are taped up or something. Anyway is this a good buy? Any concerns? Pictures below. Thanks!

The tape is probably a hand-grip - take it off and see whether the wood is split.  Probably not, just a grip instead.
I don't see the crack, but if the ball can touch it during play and it appears cosmetic - it probably is.
Should you buy it?  Well, you need some table and this is available.  I have this table's twin (upgraded).  When I can, I'll get a new coin-op but until then I have enough to practice and play.  I imagine that there are thousands of others, having the same table, who would agree.
Is it a good buy?  It's, either spot on or a little high.  Not a great buy, but fair.
If you are a serious player, you'll probably want to update the sidestrips and the corresponding bearings with the newer style that allow better bank shots.
Where are you located?

Offline crazy8

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 12:05:28 PM »
The scoring discs are not original.  Can buy these and most any other part online.

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 04:27:11 PM »
That table looks fine from pics. Don't see any warping or blown out goals and the rods look OK. 500 is probably reasonable depending on your area.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 11:37:01 AM »

The tape is probably a hand-grip - take it off and see whether the wood is split.  Probably not, just a grip instead.
I don't see the crack, but if the ball can touch it during play and it appears cosmetic - it probably is.
Should you buy it?  Well, you need some table and this is available.  I have this table's twin (upgraded).  When I can, I'll get a new coin-op but until then I have enough to practice and play.  I imagine that there are thousands of others, having the same table, who would agree.
Is it a good buy?  It's, either spot on or a little high.  Not a great buy, but fair.
If you are a serious player, you'll probably want to update the sidestrips and the corresponding bearings with the newer style that allow better bank shots.
Where are you located?

The going price around here seems to be 600 looking at Craigs, and that's for a whirlwind.  I was wondering why you are specifically looking for a coin op ???

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2021, 02:39:36 PM »

Where are you located?

The going price around here seems to be 600 looking at Craigs, and that's for a whirlwind.  I was wondering why you are specifically looking for a coin op ???

Coin ops are heavier and therefore sturdier (meant for commercial use - bars - billiards halls, opposed to home use). Also, they have a split bearing design which is preferred over the snap in bearing design of the Whirlwind.