Foosball.com Forums

refinishing play surface

refinishing play surface
« on: January 13, 2023, 11:21:14 AM »
At my kids' school is an old Premier Championship Soccer table.   Honestly it's in pretty good shape, but the playing surface has some divots in it.  My thought is to refinish the playing surface with an epoxy pour.  The only part I can't figure out is if I change the height of the playing surface by 1-2 mm, is that going to effect the playability of the table?

Here is everything I have floating around in my head.  If possible remove the playing surface.  Take a belt sander to it and sand off the paint.  I have paint, artwork, vinyl, etc for making a custom field.  If I was able to remove the surface, put it all back together.  Finish it with as thin a layer as possible of epoxy.  Once the epoxy has hardened, sand it out to 1000 grit  to put a slight texture back on it.

Re: refinishing play surface
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 07:06:35 PM »
The 1-2mm addition should not make too much difference especially in the school setting. The table there is to get kids to learn the game and develop basic skills. Kids will not be turning into tournament players on a table at school. That table may however get them interested enough to get a tournament quality table at home to develop into that player. The epoxy fix might be alright to try - it's a cheap table to try it on at least. I think youll want a lower grit sandpaper to texture. Id guess 150 grit.

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 11:06:20 AM »
Thank you.  Now to to get the table home.  I'll try to post a picture when we get it done.

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 01:12:47 PM »
That seems like a ton of effort for a table that is worth ~$20. Why not just buy a new (used) table that doesn't have those issues? FB marketplace is full of them and you can easily get one for free or pretty close to it.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 12:10:26 PM »
Overall the refurbishment turned out very well.  We ended up replacing 3 players, all the player screws (about $10), and buying two rattle cans of paint.  I had everything else.  The surface is very flat, and 220 grit sand paper provides a nice texture to the surface.

I have don't a photo sharing setup, so here are a couple of links to my google drive for pictures.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V3EcGPqmwBA2gs8ZHIEgvAyL7YNZgqKW/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V0GRwI_eVgh4PrL0HDCKxGkjWFdLY6ln/view?usp=sharing

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 12:47:04 PM »
The table looks great!  The kids should have a blast.     well done

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2023, 06:11:01 PM »
Glad it worked out for you. I like the graphics. The kids will certainly enjoy that table.

I teach at a high school and we started with a table a kid built for his senior project. He took the table with him when he graduated then we got a tournament soccer million dollar table for next to nothing on craigslist.  We built a table the year after that just for fun. Now we have three Tornado tables and about 25+ kids at our weekly tournaments. Hope your program grows too! Good luck.

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2023, 04:03:16 PM »
Hey guys I can’t figure out how to create my own topic for the life of me, I have a table I need help identifying so if anyone can give me a hand I’d appreciate it, I’m using an iPhone btw