Foosball.com Forums

Wall count question

Wall count question
« on: October 11, 2023, 05:37:22 PM »
Scenario: I block a 5-3 pass with my 5-rod by deflecting the ball, which stays under my rod but bounces off the wall before I gain control over it.

According to my reading of the ITSF rules, this pre-control contact with the wall is counted as one of my two contacts, since "active possession" began when the ball went under my rod the first time momentarily before I deflected it, which would mean that I only have one more legal wall contact left. Is that the correct interpretation?

Would this change if my block caused the ball to bounce out of reach of my 5-rod towards my opponents 5-rod but spin back into reach and off the wall before I could control it?

Re: Wall count question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 03:30:50 PM »
I would think not as that would also include every time a wall pass is trapped.....

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 12:43:54 AM »
I would think not as that would also include every time a wall pass is trapped.....

The rules specifically address this situation: "A ball that is trapped on the 5-rod directly following a transition doesn't increase the wall contact count." But I wasn't asking about a trapped ball.

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 08:40:59 AM »
If a stopped ball is passed from 5 rod to 3 rod - it is still illegal even if deflect off opposing 5 rod.  There is no  active possession.  It is not a stretch to apply same logic that deflects off man and hits wall.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 08:59:09 AM by bolt115 »

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 04:30:46 PM »
If a stopped ball is passed from 5 rod to 3 rod - it is still illegal even if deflect off opposing 5 rod.  There is no  active possession.  It is not a stretch to apply same logic that deflects off man and hits wall.

The rules also deal with this situation -- it's called an "indirect-pass" (not sure why the rules use the hyphen here). Stretch or not, what I'm really looking for here is a definitive *ruling*. Are there any active referees reading this? How do you rule in this case? Do you start the wall count at 1 or 0? On what basis do you make this determination?

If this forum is not the proper place to get a definitive interpretation of the rules, where does one go for that?