Foosball.com Forums

The Inner game of tennis (foos)...

The Inner game of tennis (foos)...
« on: October 04, 2006, 05:54:21 PM »
Don M told me about this book, and it was a big help. So I give him credit for letting me know about it.

So what is it? It's a book called the inner game of tennis.. by W Timothy Gallwey.

It will help you improve your foosball game, or tennis... or any sport..

Table of contents:

1. Reflections on the mental side of tennis (foosball, etc.)
2. The discovery of the two selves.
3. Getting it together: Part one, Quieting the mind.
4. Getting it together: Part two, Letting it happen.
5. Master Tips.
6. Changing habits: Practical applications of inner game learning.
7. Concentration.
8. Games people play on the court..
9. The meaning of competition.
10. The inner game off the court...

introduction, from the book..

Every game is composed of two parts, an outer game and inner game. The outer game is played against an external opponent to overcome external obstacles, to reach an external goal. Mastering this game is the subject of many books offering instruction on how to swing a racket, club, or bat, and how to position arms, legs, or torso to achieve the best results. But for some reason most of us find these instructions easier to remember than to execute.

It is the thesis of this book that neither mastery nor satisfaction can be found in the playing of any game without giving some attention to the relatively neglected skills of the inner game. This is the game that is played in the players mind, and it is played against such obstacles as lapses in concentration, nervousness, self-doubt, and self-condemnation. In short, it is played to overcome all habits of mind which inhibit excellence in performance.

We often wonder why we play so well one day, and so poorly the next, or why we clutch during competition, or blow easy shots. And why does it take so long to break a bad habit and learn a new one?

The player of the inner game comes to value the art of relaxed concentration above all other skills; he/she discovers a true basis for self-confidence. And he learns that the secret to winning any game lies in not trying too hard. He aims at the kind of spontaneous performance which occurs only when the mind is clam and seems at one with the body, which finds its own surprising ways to surpass its own limits again and again. Moreover, while overcoming the common hang-ups of competition, the player of the inner game uncovers a will to win which unlocks all his energy and which is never discouraged by losing.

want more info? get the book on www.half.com

« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 08:30:14 AM by Art E »

Re: The Inner game of tennis (foos)...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 07:45:20 PM »
excellent book made me a pro

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 01:30:05 PM »
read it before I saw this post...cou8ldn't agree more

Offline Steve

• Showdown
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 07:23:36 PM »