Foosball.com Forums

A new comer's question;what kind of the table & ball most popular

We had a new table to play foos in our club.
But the table is far from perfect.
We plan to import a new one.
Anyone can give us advice?
Every table looks same to me,the only difference is the weight and goalie.
What is the most popular table in the world,and what is the ball you are using in the tournament(how much is the weight)?
Many thanks!

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
Re: A new comer's question;what kind of the table & ball most popular
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 06:08:55 PM »
What is the most popular table in the world,and what is the ball you are using in the tournament(how much is the weight)?
Many thanks!

The following are just my opinions:

There are 3 major kinds of tables for tournament play:
Tornado is used on the biggest tournaments in the US, most of Canada, Malaysia, Japan, most of southeast Asia, United Arab Emirates, parts of the United Kingdom, etc
Garlando is used in Italy, Austria, parts of the UK, parts of Canada, etc
Bonzini is used in France, parts of Canada, parts of the southeast US, etc

Which one you want to use depends on your style of play.  Personally I would recommend going with Tornado, Bonzini, or Eurosoccer (depending on how you play), I like Tornado myself.  Though if the tournaments in your area are played on a certain table, consider getting that--then you can practice and go play local tournaments.

The differences are numerous.
1. Some tables (Bonzini, Garlando) have 1 man on the goalie rod and banked corners.  Others (Tornado) have 3 men on the goalie rod and flat corners.
2. Garlando tends to be pretty fast--glass table top, hard plastic ball, etc.  The rules are often a no-passage set of rules, where you can't stop the ball or pass it between men on the same rod (but there are also passing-legal rules).  The newer Garlando tables have a brushed/blasted glass top that allows for more control than the old one.
3. Tornado has a red urethane ball that is grippier than the garlando ball but still slides smoothly without pinching or catching.  Slide shots (like the pull and push) are emphasized, and the rollover is very popular.  Passing a stopped or pinned ball is illegal.  Pin shots are harder to execute but can be done.  Tic tacs are easy.  Bank shots are very difficult except for a few short banks.
4.  Bonzini has a cork ball that is extremely grippy.  Pin shots are emphasized, and pinned passing is legal.  Slide shots are harder to execute but can be done.  The feet of the players are much narrower than on other tables.  Doing a fast tic-tac is harder than on the other tables.   Bank shots are easier to execute.

There are some clones of these tables; Rene Pierre is very similar to Bonzini.  FABI is like Garlando (not as similar as RP/Bonzini), Torpedo is practically identical to Tornado.  Personally I would avoid buying the clones.

There are some other local tables: Jupiter (Belgium--_very_ grippy, more than Bonzini) and the new Eurosoccer (Belgium and increasingly popular across Europe, this table tries to blend the grippy Jupiter qualities with the hardball/slide shots of the Tornado to make all styles of play possible), and Lemacher (Germany) are probably the next most popular tournament tables.

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2005, 09:58:33 AM »
Many thanks!

The following are just my opinions:

There are 3 major kinds of tables for tournament play:
Tornado is used on the biggest tournaments in the US, most of Canada, Malaysia, Japan, most of southeast Asia, United Arab Emirates, parts of the United Kingdom, etc
Garlando is used in Italy, Austria, parts of the UK, parts of Canada, etc
Bonzini is used in France, parts of Canada, parts of the southeast US, etc

Which one you want to use depends on your style of play.  Personally I would recommend going with Tornado, Bonzini, or Eurosoccer (depending on how you play), I like Tornado myself.  Though if the tournaments in your area are played on a certain table, consider getting that--then you can practice and go play local tournaments.

The differences are numerous.
1. Some tables (Bonzini, Garlando) have 1 man on the goalie rod and banked corners.  Others (Tornado) have 3 men on the goalie rod and flat corners.
2. Garlando tends to be pretty fast--glass table top, hard plastic ball, etc.  The rules are often a no-passage set of rules, where you can't stop the ball or pass it between men on the same rod (but there are also passing-legal rules).  The newer Garlando tables have a brushed/blasted glass top that allows for more control than the old one.
3. Tornado has a red urethane ball that is grippier than the garlando ball but still slides smoothly without pinching or catching.  Slide shots (like the pull and push) are emphasized, and the rollover is very popular.  Passing a stopped or pinned ball is illegal.  Pin shots are harder to execute but can be done.  Tic tacs are easy.  Bank shots are very difficult except for a few short banks.
4.  Bonzini has a cork ball that is extremely grippy.  Pin shots are emphasized, and pinned passing is legal.  Slide shots are harder to execute but can be done.  The feet of the players are much narrower than on other tables.  Doing a fast tic-tac is harder than on the other tables.   Bank shots are easier to execute.

There are some clones of these tables; Rene Pierre is very similar to Bonzini.  FABI is like Garlando (not as similar as RP/Bonzini), Torpedo is practically identical to Tornado.  Personally I would avoid buying the clones.

There are some other local tables: Jupiter (Belgium--_very_ grippy, more than Bonzini) and the new Eurosoccer (Belgium and increasingly popular across Europe, this table tries to blend the grippy Jupiter qualities with the hardball/slide shots of the Tornado to make all styles of play possible), and Lemacher (Germany) are probably the next most popular tournament tables.

Thanks a lot,It's very helpful .
You do teach me a lesson.

I am confused bcuz we do pull-push shots  and a lot of back pins but we don't get use to 3-man goalie.
It seems we should choose a hybrid table ,am I right?

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2005, 11:04:41 AM »
I am confused bcuz we do pull-push shots  and a lot of back pins but we don't get use to 3-man goalie.

I would not recommend a non-standard table.  Getting used to a 3-man goalie or a 1-man goalie is really a minor adjustment.  To me it's more important to get a quality table that will last a long time and will let you keep improving your game.  I'm also a fan of getting whatever table is widely used in tournaments in your area, so that you can go out and play tougher competition if you want to test yourself.

So I would really go with something major, Tornado, Bonzini, Garlando, Eurosoccer, Lemacher etc.  Personally I'd stay with Tornado, Bonzini, or Eurosoccer unless something else is the dominant tournament table in your area.

One good thing to do might be to find a local tournament (where do you live?) and go watch them play to see what it's like and what kind of table is used.  Then play a couple games on that table and see how you like it.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 11:42:14 AM »

I would not recommend a non-standard table.  Getting used to a 3-man goalie or a 1-man goalie is really a minor adjustment.  To me it's more important to get a quality table that will last a long time and will let you keep improving your game.  I'm also a fan of getting whatever table is widely used in tournaments in your area, so that you can go out and play tougher competition if you want to test yourself.

So I would really go with something major, Tornado, Bonzini, Garlando, Eurosoccer, Lemacher etc.  Personally I'd stay with Tornado, Bonzini, or Eurosoccer unless something else is the dominant tournament table in your area.

One good thing to do might be to find a local tournament (where do you live?) and go watch them play to see what it's like and what kind of table is used.  Then play a couple games on that table and see how you like it.
Foos fan are lonely in this island.
Very few tables here and no tournament,that is why I can't answer you .
But I am looking for every table I can find here. I found a Garlando in the bowling alley,and someone told me a pub runner is importing a Bonzini .
I am waiting to it to see if we like it or not,I cant't find Tornado table .
Maybe I will import Garlando to promote foos sport here. Afterall our club is the only hope to the foos fans.

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 02:43:28 PM »
I love playing on a tornado and periviously owned one but then sold it as everyone in my area plays on Fabi tables. I Get my new fabi table tommorow so we'll see how good I can get one that. Don't make my mistake get the tables that are at your bars, and in ur tourneys.
Aiden