Foosball.com Forums

Why don't the pros use bankshots much anymore?

« on: October 26, 2007, 07:50:10 PM »

Re: Why don't the pros use bankshots much anymore?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 11:49:33 AM »
they are not very consistant on the tornado table! (low percentage)

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 12:30:17 PM »
The Tornado is not made for banks. The 3/4" playfield is very stiff and does  not flex as much as  the TS table with a 3/8" playfield. The Tornado will bank, but it is more difficult and therefore lower percentages of success in execution. The ball tends to fly up like a jump shot in pool because of the rigid playfield on Tornado. But they are still possible.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 08:12:05 PM »
I think it is a crime where this game has gone. Tornado went to this odd shape on the feet and limited the game. I used to do a far bank up front, close man or far man bank. This game had so many possibilities but now they limit it to so few shots. If you want to really play this game go back to the table that the Germans gave us, the Deutcher Meitser. Pin hard, place exactly on light rods, no fuss or mess just skill. I'm sorry, you don't know what you missed or are missing.

Offline marty

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 04:18:50 AM »
old meister have you tryed the new legand table yet there trying to bring some old school back  theres a big tournment tne first week i think in seattle

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 04:32:33 PM »
the front edge of the man's foot is curved which doesn't allow for hitting a consistent, predictable, angle and the white tape that runs down the side of the table is at an angle or height just enough to make most balls jump up....also, the texture of the balls makes a difference in how much the ball jumps - more texture (newer ball) more jump, smoother surface (older ball) less jump)...Todd Loffredo had a good explanation of this on a thread on another board...I will see if i can find it

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 04:51:01 PM »
Found it...Todd Loffredo (forum name is Old_School)
Feb 17, 2007 Foosball Board under "hilarious post by Todd copied from other thread..."

"Slick balls slide when there is friction so the harder you hit them the faster they travel. When they hit the side wall they slide at the moment of impact especially if you hit it hard enough to make it skip so that it hits the wall while still slightly airborne, then the ball avoids the side wall ramp from making it jump and accelerates as it hits the wall..Impossible to race.

A sticky ball does not slide with friction. It rolls. When struck hard it will jump from to much friction. The sticky ball also slows as it hits the side and back walls, and climbs the walls like a 4 wheel drive. Hits rods often or jumps out of the table. Very raceable
If you have ever done a pull kick that has hit the back wall and came back at you faster than you hit it.. Then you know you have a slick ball."

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 11:20:04 AM »
The NW Open Nov 9-11 will be played on 14 of what is known as the Legend Table. It has been renamed to Spectrum due to the fact that Costco came out with a Legend Table name first.  And it’s not even close to what Medalist/Spectrum has created.

It’s amazing to see what shots are being used on this table. Rich Fosner the local Seattle pro-master who learned and began his play on the TS table has drastically changed his shooting series back from what he used on Tornado to what he used on the TS tables. He now shots a middle man back pin series hitting any hole in that series as well as banks to either side. Just when you think you can stop the extreme open corners that the back pin series produces, depending on where your goalie man is, he will hit a bank shot to the opposite side.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 12:21:57 PM »
I shot the backpin on TS when it wasn't popular and I shoot the backpin now...I am very familiar with the history and design behind the Legend/Spectrum and Johnnies current attempt (whereever that may be)

it isn't humble to say but I think I have the best back pin in the world maybe ever and it is better now than it was on TS even after a 25 year lay off and my being 50 years old and this is on Tornado

I can only imagine the joy of being able to hit everything without the effort it takes on Tornado - with Tornado you can do everything with the backpin that used to be done on TS excpet banks (or anything depending on a consistent angle) however, it is all harder with the curved foot and I would just love playing on Specturm (or any table like it)

A table like this would totally transform offensive goalie play...there are very few current Tornado players (who didn't pass through the TS days or Tornado/Dynamo when those tables could bank) who have any idea of the beauty, crowd appeal, fun for the shooter, and nightmare for the defenders that banks mixed in with your series can produce

I have learned to appreciate and even like some aspects of offensive goalie play today but to be honest, it is really boring compared to what it could be (and is on some other tables)...I would like to see Tommy A, Billy Pappas, and the other great two bars add banks into their shot selections....

seriously, it would transform the game and for all the bank haters out there (and I know you are there) it would be mere minutes before you got on board after you saw Tommy rip a far wall bank off a long pull or pull kick or an inside bank off a long push from Billy...ahhhh, that would be sweeeeeet

I haven't played on it, but I understand the design and know a lot of detail behind the Specturm and anyone who gets a chance to play on the Spectrum (or that kind of designed table) will not be disappointed

BANKS ROCK , BANKS ROCK , BANKS ROCK , BANKS ROCK , BANKS ROCK , BANKS ROCK , BANKS ROCK
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:05:50 PM by Arthur »