Foosball.com Forums

Noob - need help developing recoil on pull shot

Noob - need help developing recoil on pull shot
« on: June 17, 2008, 07:31:58 PM »
Hi,

I'm a noob who has become really addicted to foosball and is trying to learn the pull shot.  On long pulls I consistently spray the ball to the right of the goal, I think because I don't have recoil action on my shot.

I've watched videos of pull shots with recoil on Youtube, but I can't seem to get my body to do the motion.  It feels awkward and I can't make sense of pulling and snapping the wrist while simultaneously pushing with the elbow (if that's even the right way to describe the way to get recoil?)  For context, I stand with the 5-man at approx. the middle of my body, face slightly diagonally right, hold the handle favoring palm-up, and can wrist flick.

Would really appreciate any advice on how I can train myself to develop recoil.  Thanks a bunch.

RF

Offline Steve

• Showdown
Re: Noob - need help developing recoil on pull shot
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 08:39:44 PM »
I think if you did a swooping pull and not  a snap you would get more, it comes from pushing in to the ball if your spraying the ball you need to learn to square it off try to hit between the two dots closest to you I think its the 1&2 dots do this 10,000 times lol.no really do it

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 07:21:42 PM »
Something I found that helps is to do the shot a number of times without the ball and watch the "shape" of the shot. It will tell you a lot. Then when you get the shape of the shot looking like it should be a good shot go back to the ball. By alternating between no ball and the ball you should close in on how to do it. So much of this game is feel and you learn  how a good shot feels so as to reproduce it without thought.  I like to do a number of no ball shots before a game just to reacquaint myself with the good feel. It helps,,

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 01:40:02 AM »
You've given some valuable information here that says alot about your pull shot, which says something for your understanding of the shot so I'll give you advice on what you seem to be focusing on.

1 - Stance should as athletic as possible, I've seen it done numerous ways but this helps me hit the most options without giving tells to the opponent.

2 - Grip the rod like you would a tennis racket with the 'V' created by your thumb and forefinger at roughly 11 or 12 oclock on the rod (while the men are pointed down)

3 - Setup the ball slightly behind the rod so that when you strike the ball you are pinching it rather than brushing across the ball.  This is tougher on the wrist so it might be an idea to work your way into it.  Remember that when you pitch the ball across it will be drawn back even more based on how you pull the ball and how you lift the man.  The setup is key to the pull shot, it may be worth it to practice getting the ball setup in a tight pull position depending on where you are in learning the shot.

Another thing is that you don't have to focus on the flush/deadman long on the pull to start out with, start with hitting really pure middles and let the stroke evolve to where you can hit the deep pull shot.  A good drill is to setup the ball in front of the hole that you want to hit then with the rod in the starting position to the pull shot explode off the wall to where the ball is and strike it in the direction you want it to go (spray, cutback or straight).  This should help you with the concept of a two stage shot, toss and strike.

These are the basics of the pull as I have been shown/learned.  I'm not a pro-master but have had reasonable success on the tour with what I do.  There is no absolutely correct way to execute the pull shot, make sure that however you do it that it is comfortable to you so that you don't wind up hurting yourself.

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 08:03:37 AM »
Try thia on for size, just might help you.

http://www.foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=1579.0

ICEMAN.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 01:36:50 AM »
Thanks, everybody!  ICEMAN - the thread you passed on encapsulated a huge amount of insight on the direct topic: really helpful.  I practiced some of the drills/suggestions today, interpreting what was written as best I could.

For sure, I was too close to the table - creating more distance immediately helped.  I still have a tough time with the "7/push stroke" finish.  Sometimes my middle man man naturally ends up recoiling back to the center dot, but it's uninitentional and other times I still pull through into a spray.  I don't know how to brush pass, so the drill of brushing the shot of the goal for now isn't usable. 

I still feel like the long pull is slow - guess I'll find out tomorrow when I play w/my work group - but I'm taking the advice given of focusing on technique initially rather than speed.  I feel like I have a mental block that makes it hard to accelerate the middle man behind the ball to square it up - most of the time I feel like I'm trailing the ball or moving too quickly ahead of it and shanking it back to the left (i.e., reverse spray to the left of the goal).

Anyway, I've taken a step forward - thanks to you all - but still have a long way to go.   Any further advice is much appreciated!  RF

Offline Will17

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 12:39:06 PM »
Are you playing on a tornado and do you own it or at least have easy access to it? assuming the answers are yes then it sounds like your on your way, another question is can you square off your shot if you only pull about 2 inches before shooting, if you can then you just need to do the same motion when shooting a long.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 11:08:46 AM »
Hi,
China Spam Boy - once was too much

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 01:21:52 AM »
Hi,
China Spam Boy - once was too much

I agree... sounds like this Chinese guy's just spamming his factory's license, hoping to get a Johnny Lott or even a Brendan Flaherty-type to ask him about building foosball tables.

He might be hoping that perhaps somebody will send him plans & specs for Tornados, Bonzinis, and Warriors, which are pretty much all over the net, and build some 1000 or so clones?   He could sell his first 100 Warrior clones really quickly if that factory could build them cheaply enough..  The factory may be doing so already, under those names he bandied about.  Although he probably only has Chinese "traveling-10-million" laborers, who although relatively inexpensive, can't approach how cheaply the Nike Michael Air Jordan women laborers in Thailand can be forced to work, get beaten, AND furnish sex to their supervisors.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 07:12:39 AM »
John from china is gone... he posted the same thing about 14 times.. major spammer. banned

anytime you see spam, click on "report to moderator" so we can take action. thanks. :)

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 09:23:32 AM »
Hi,

I'm a noob who has become really addicted to foosball and is trying to learn the pull shot.  On long pulls I consistently spray the ball to the right of the goal, I think because I don't have recoil action on my shot.

I've watched videos of pull shots with recoil on Youtube, but I can't seem to get my body to do the motion.  It feels awkward and I can't make sense of pulling and snapping the wrist while simultaneously pushing with the elbow (if that's even the right way to describe the way to get recoil?)  For context, I stand with the 5-man at approx. the middle of my body, face slightly diagonally right, hold the handle favoring palm-up, and can wrist flick.

Would really appreciate any advice on how I can train myself to develop recoil.  Thanks a bunch.

RF

PM Chase, he has a one of the most fluid, deadly and effortless looking dead-bar pull shots...plus he is one of the nicest guys you would ever want to speak to.