Foosball.com Forums

Practice Table

Re: Practice Table
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 06:25:32 PM »
Thanks for the input. I just need to find a way to pick it up now. The guy selling it offered to help me load it up... The biggest problem is, that I don't own a truck!!! I'm pretty new here in this town as well, so I don't have many friends, and they don't drive trucks either!! I looked into a one day truck rental and it would cost me nearly $300 just to pick up the table. I'm really at a loss of what to do unfortunately. I guess I'll ask my friend whose boyfriend drives a truck..... it would be quite a stretch though.

Yeah, I'm probably a couple days away from making up my mind, I don't like to rush into spending that kind of money, but it's an investment that would last me years to come. Does anyone know the width of the table with rods extended? Can you fit it in the back of a jeep or explorer or would it scrape or bend in any way?

Well, at least I know that the tables are out there to find, and I'll keep my eyes peeled for similar tables if this one falls through. Thanks for all the input BBTuna and Will, it's been a great help... now I just need to practice practice practice, and then try to make a showing whenever I decide to hit up a tournament. (probably won't be until Missouri State)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 06:27:55 PM by Syronis »

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 10:08:24 PM »
how far away is the table...you could go to a car rental place and rent a big SUV with unlimited mileage and depending on how far it might work financially

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 01:17:42 AM »
Thanks, that might be a good call. I have a friend who lives in Des Moines, so if I take a one day car rental it would be like $90. Take into account the visiting a friend, and some possible bar foos.... it might be worth it regardless.

The more I think about it, the more I want to do it. I'll probably make up my mind tomorrow when I don't have so many beers in me. It would still be a good conditions tournament coin-op for $700 plus gas. For me it's probably worth the extra few bucks to see a friend, and get a table.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 01:26:41 AM by Syronis »

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 01:50:53 AM »
So y'all are saying it's not worth it to get a brand new coin-op T-2000 or one of those "used once at a tournament" dealies?

Offline Will17

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 02:10:57 AM »
if you can get a brand new coin op go for it, cant go wrong. used once at tournament now your gonna be getting warrior, cause Mary moore switched her whole tour to warrior, that might be better anyway, although i would wait to see if and when the coin op becomes available. either way i'm sure you can end up with a great table. warrior and tornado are VERY similar, despite some reviews saying otherwise, if you compare the tables to anything else on the market they are pretty much the same. if i had no cost holding me back i would go with a new coin op tornado for sure right now. that might change if warrior gets better/develops something that isn't a home model table.

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 10:01:25 AM »
Sy where are you at? I see you have mentioned Missouri State.. I live in Missouri and i am seeing alot of used coin-ops on the craigs list. St.Louis and Kansas City have several listed. I am contemplating not going to Missouri State due to new exposure of the Warrior Table..I am not good with change and everything i have learned over the last 6 years has been on Tornado..
When i hear you can't hit dead bar pull shots on Warrior tables that turned me off to the tournament.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 10:06:48 AM »
if you can afford getting a newer Grey Marble or better yet a F5 metal wraped coin-op then it is a great move...usually people have real limited budgets and they aren't committed tourny players and so we give advice on next best choice - in this case Syronis is sort of falling into a good in between deal

but, if you can get a new/tournament used Grey Marble or F5 then that is the most preferred thing until a Warrior tournament/coin-op (with bugs worked out) table comes out and I am thinking that will be a year

and it was shown at the last tournament that the transition from Tor to War is almost non-existent

I think the transition will be even less when War balls are available for purchase so you can practice on them on your Tor...I bought some dynamo yellow balls which I think play almost the same...I hope to be able to compare tonight to see if there is any difference since I have a friend with a War ball who I hope to see tonight and we will have that on a Grey Marble coin-op

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 11:05:54 AM »
Sy where are you at? I see you have mentioned Missouri State.. I live in Missouri and i am seeing alot of used coin-ops on the craigs list. St.Louis and Kansas City have several listed. I am contemplating not going to Missouri State due to new exposure of the Warrior Table..I am not good with change and everything i have learned over the last 6 years has been on Tornado..
When i hear you can't hit dead bar pull shots on Warrior tables that turned me off to the tournament.

I'm a former Missourian, I now live in Macomb, IL. It's a small college town. What I did was did some searching on Craigslist for Chicago, Des Moines, and St. Louis. They are all comparable distances from where I currently live (about 3-3 1/2 hour drive). I'll look at Craigslist again, but most of what I saw in STL area was two coin ops, one without pictures and one that the seller said had some obvious damage.

I wouldn't be discouraged that you can't hit a dead bar, you'll just have to shorten up the pull shot a bit and try to figure out what works I guess. One of the funniest complaints I read about the warrior table was that the goalie overshoots the goal. Well, duh.... every single goalie table I've ever played on the goalie will overshoot the goal, playing the goalie rod becomes more about muscle memory and knowing where the goal is than just throwing the rod.

Yeah, I'm going to try to start going to tournaments, probably starting with Missouri State. Other than that I'll probably try to play Iowa and Illinois as well when they have the larger tournaments.  It will be interesting to see where I fall in the beginner brackets, I haven't played a competitive foosball game since I was 18, and haven't even touched a foosball table in like 10 months. Which is yet another reason why I'm dying to get a table in my house.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 11:52:43 AM »
the deadbar thing is totally overrated -

First - it can be hit, just not as easily/often
it is literally only 3/16 inch different which is literally this much | |
if your shot is accurate enough that this is a big deal, then you should be good enough to change your stroke in less than 50 shots (probably less than 20)

Second - the actual "need" to shoot deadbar is so small it shouldn't even factor into a game...when do you absolutely "need" to shoot deadbar...you can have the very best pull in the world and never be able to shoot deadman...now you probably will for show or fun but actually trying to shoot deadman in a tournament is a silly notion even if someone is posting you up

if they post you up, they have to be dead on the post when you shoot to stop you..if they come off the wall, even the smallest amount, lets say |  | this much (which only requires the smallest movement or bounce off the wall) then you can still smoke a squared off or cutback pull

and, if the defense is so paranoid of your long they are trying to post a guy deadman, the goalie is left to cover the entire rest of the goal which for a good pull shooter should be like shooting ducks in a pond

I was taught early to never practice deadman...we practice starting with putting 3 fingers between the bumper and wall so you are 3 fingers away from a deadman post...when you can do that 19 out of 20 times in a row, no problem, move down to 2 fingers...when you can do 18 or 19 out of 20 time in and time out move to 1.5 fingers then when you can do 18/20 every time move to one finger and when you can do that 18/20 times in a row every time by then you will have a smoking good pull shot people are afraid of

at 1 1/2 fingers start stacking the goalie right behind the 2 man so you can see that you are sqauring the shot off or cutting it back

practice each stage rolling and setting the ball up and learn to shoot each position from a stand still first but also from a roll and from various ball positions (so the ball doesn't have to line up under your bar exactly right each time to still be effective)

when you get to two fingers, start practicing straights, slices, and various splits

by the time you get to one finger you will have a super good pull...in the end, when you want to push it the final bit, move the man to 1/2 finger and when you can do this 18 or 19 out of 20 every time you will have one of the best pulls in the nation without ever having practiced deadman

I was taught early and still believe, if you can do the 1 finger or 1/2 finger every time when you get into intense games your adreneline will carry your stroke that little bit more...so, we never tried to shoot deadman but if it happens it happens

and last, we were taught it is better to shoot a bad shot on goal than to smoke something into the wall...the first goal is on goal with every shot every time and then you build it to be more accurate and versitle as you go...practicing for deadman makes you hit the wall a lot more often....if you work inside to the out while developing your stroke, you will develop a habit of on goal every time

similiar with rollover or any shot though with the roller you might start at 2 fingers and work your way out from their
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 05:38:40 PM by bbtuna »

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 02:09:31 PM »
I actually will take that into consideration when I start to fine tune my game. I think tha't's some really good advice, because you're teaching people through progression. You don't just throw the deadman up and say, "ok hit it". If you do that you'll spend hours discouraged and annoyed at your shot.

I started playing foosball as almost a purely defensive player, I picked up on it really quick, but since I've played mostly by myself for the last couple years my skills have completely deteriorated. That being said, I'm going to use your advice and practice my offense in the manner in which you've explained. Sounds sound.

I'm making arrangements to pick up the table sometime next week. Thanks for all your input! If anybody on this board lives in the Des Moines area, you should come stomp me in some foos.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:31:25 PM by Syronis »

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2008, 02:48:55 PM »
Ok Tuna I see your point on the deadbar issue. Now go and tell Kent Rhodes that!! I do not specifically shoot dead bar pull shots exclusively BUT it is in my arsenal!! I would much prefer a short square pull. Tuna i know where your located and who you play with on a regular basis..how are Traynor and the boys up north? I really want to get up there and hit a thursday nite with you fellas..Thursday is not a good nite for me to get away from the lake during the week. Is Chris Dubes still running the sunday no-pro tourney at Pete's Inn?

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »
Where do you guys usually play at? I know you said you're from Missouri Snake Eyes, what area?

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2008, 03:09:10 PM »
Lake of the Ozarks. Osage Beach is where most of the tables are. We try and hold a every Friday DYP depending on how many players show. Sometimes we get 8-10 and on occasion 14-16. Woody's Sports bar is the location. If you are ever in the area give me a shout my number is (573) 317-7447.

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2008, 03:52:01 PM »
Little bit far, but if I'm ever down in the ozarks I'll make sure to post it here. I used to live up in Kirksville, it's NE Missouri. There was only one table there, coincidentally enough also at a bar called Woody's. Now I live about 2 hours east of there in Illinois. Closest place where I can probably find some foos is the quad cities. There's got to be some foosin up there somewhere, it's about an hour from me.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 05:45:30 PM »
there is definately foos in the Quad cities...I have seen posts about it but I can't remember if it was here or on the other board...do some searching and you will find something one place or the other

i just thought you also might find some stuff on Netfoos...tons and tons of DYPs are using it now, it is a good place to find out what is going on locally

http://www.netfoos.com/accounts/stats.html

i will write more later, gotta run