Foosball.com Forums

grips

grips
« on: November 25, 2005, 03:13:47 AM »
i know this might sound a bit silly but why do i see the everyone when they put there grips on the handle they dont make the lenght of the grip shorter doesnt it make you not feel the handle?

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
Re: grips
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 04:04:09 PM »
i know this might sound a bit silly but why do i see the everyone when they put there grips on the handle they dont make the lenght of the grip shorter doesnt it make you not feel the handle?

The major reason to use a grip is that it's a little bit "stickier" than just the handle.  This is most useful for rollover/snake shooters who really need that friction, but also helpful for all shots so that you have a firm grip on the rod.

A second reason to use the grip is to give it a consistent surface.  Sometimes the bare handles have sharp edges, or are older and more slippery, etc.  Using a grip makes it so that all the handles have the same surface so that you have less adjusting to do (and it stops sharp edges from scuffing up your hands and arms).

A third reason to use grips is to change the shape of the handle--watch Frederico and you'll see him use a small wrap to fill in the indented part of the handle, so the handle becomes more like a plain cylinder.  Then he puts another full grip over the whole thing (for stickiness) and wears a sticky glove to give him complete control.

Some people do like to play with bare rods or very thin grips that have more "handle feel", but most players do use grips for firmer grip and the other benefits.

Even the top players sometimes can't make up their minds; for instance, Terry Moore used to be firmly in the "thick, sticky grips" camp but lately he's been playing without any grip at all.