Foosball.com Forums

torn between two tables

torn between two tables
« on: December 04, 2009, 01:14:23 PM »
Used Brown Marble Tornado Coin-Op (haven't seen it yet, heard it's in good condition with no deal breakers) - $750

Brand new Tornado Storm II - $550

Table will be in my game room at home.  Just the family playing on it really.

According to the posts I've read on here the Brown Marble is better in terms of build quality but it seems over priced.  The Storm seems like a better deal maybe?

Thoughts?

Aaron ::)

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
Re: torn between two tables
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 02:36:21 PM »
Aaron look around I bought a Brown Marble Coin-Op from a local vendor here in Mssouri for $250.00. It needed a few parts, Rods, Pins, but still good condition..Ask your local pubs or sports bars who their gaming vendor is and ask if he has any tornado tables, you would be surprised the results you can get. Happy Hunting..

Snake

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 03:42:30 PM »
Coin op all the way. See of you can talk them down but even so it is worth it. Hell you could put it in bar and recoup your $$ if you had to. Cant say that about a home model.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 05:12:40 PM »
the storm is a piece of junk so it isn't a decision EXCEPT $750 is at least $300 more than it should be and I mean that literally...i track ebay table sale "attempts" and have for 4 years straight...i know what table should sell for and this is way too much

you have the right idea, you just need to wait and look and have your money ready...anyone starting at that high doesn't likely know what the table is worth and isn't probably going to come down $300

I am telling you, $450 is top dollar for a Brwn Mrble....

here is my high level on that from the thread below

What Table Should I buy?
http://www.foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=2704.msg12905#msg12905

Brown Marble - Brown Marble 1983 - 1997 - stopped using the metal feet about 1988 but continued to sell them as parts until 1996  $350-$450
oldest versions have the large metal feet and are considered the most (some debate now with the newest complete change T3000) solid consistent of all the tables
Most common have the current smaller plastic foot - I am not aware of any other substantial difference between this and the large foot except the feet...this was my favorite table but the new T3000 is very close in playability but considering the age and time "in the field" the Brwn Mrbl is still the best table Tornado has made but if the T3000 stands the test of time, it will be a toss up on which is best and the decision will be which play style you prefer
so, if you are looking for an inexpensive used table, this is your best bet...wide swing in quality because of how long they have been out there so this requires patients and careful shopping

this means all Brwn Mrbls are 12 to 26 years old...can still be made to be a great table without deal breakers but the table new wasn't more than $1000 ... you may be able to talk with the person about this and work something out but Snake Eyes has a good idea about calling vending companies to see if they have one they want to dump...because of the age and that most of their lives have been in bars, it is imperative to see the table first

search Craig's list, its the best way, and make the search as many miles away as you will drive

keep at it but stay patient and it will pay dividens...that talbe Snake Eyes bought can last the rest of his life with minimal care and maintenece and if you are interested, you can update the table with the latest upgrades

keep us informed and contact me anytime if you want to talk through it and want help buying...I don't charge anything but I do insist you let me know all the final details and really want to see pictures

charles 816-665-7798 CST

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 10:20:03 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys.  BBTuna your thread on the coin-op tables was super helpful. 

Sounds like I should pass on the Storm and be patient on the coin-op.  Regarding the Storm, I didn't realize Tornado made any crummy tables.  I thought as long as it was Tornado it was going to be good.  Good to know!  Thanks again.

Aaron

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 12:26:24 PM »
Slight hi-jack of a thread...

What I don't understand is how those "cheaper" brands/models (Harvard, Sportcraft, Halex, etc.) even sell, and why Tornado has so many different levels of tables (Sport/Elite/Classic/T3000/T3000 coin-op) for sale?

When you think about it...for just a little more (sometimes not even more) than those cheaper brands mentioned above you can buy a used Tornado that will outlast any of those (even the lower end Tornado's)...and using that same premise, if you have the money for a lower end Tornado, you might as well buy a used Tornado coin-op...not only for it's re-sale, but for it's durability and playability...  I get confused with Storm I or II, Whirlwind I or II, Twister I or II, Cyclone I or II, F5, T2000, etc...

Tuna, you know what would be pretty neat (you definitely made a good start with your buyers guide)...obviously this would take quite some time/resources...if someone made a Tornado Foosball Blue Book.  Listing out every Tornado that was ever made, then approximate values based on condition/age (or with coin-ops how many "plays" on the counter, sort of like an odometer reading I guess).  I was always curious what the resale would be on one of those custom Tornado sophistication series tables were like...

http://www.foosballstore.com/products/description/1282.cfm

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 04:54:55 PM »
why do people buy the lower end tables from Sportcraft, etc, and Tornado?  because they don't know anything about foosball and they just want a table and they don't want to pay much

Tornado makes all their money on the lower end "home" models just like all the other table people do

it is surprising to me how many tables are actually purchased at all ... people see something and think it will be fun and it motivates them enough to spend a few hundred dollars

think about all the time I, and others, have spent explaining all the same questions over and over and often having to really work with people to get them to see the truth of what you are saying about the coin ops

its all a preception and marketing thing...its like people who buy Boze audio stuff thinking they are getting great audio but people who really know high end audio know Boze is a joke and all about marketing

the model differences in the tables are just to provide price points to meet the buyers budgets...the difference in one table to another are quality of materials, "features", and build quality of course

someone on the board, foozkilla I think, recommened the Blue Book idea a long time ago but I am not interested in doing the work needed...i am not interested in comparing the crappy home models...the only table that matters in my world is the coin op or split top home model (which is a coin op minus the coin mechanism)

i have never seen one of the sopistication tables for sale in a secondary market....