Foosball.com Forums

Fixing a Blown Out Goal

Fixing a Blown Out Goal
« on: February 10, 2010, 12:57:12 AM »
Hello,
I'm new to the forum, and just acquired a Tornado Cyclone II table. I was able to get what I think was a cheap price on the table ($100), but the catch was one of the goals is blown out. Picture attached below.

I've read through the forums and seen several topics that discuss how to reduce the risk of a blown goal, but I'm way past that point. Is there a fix for a blown goal? I'm willing to put some money into this, but at this point just want to know if it's beyond hope.

Thanks!

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
Re: Fixing a Blown Out Goal
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 02:57:55 PM »
oh thats brutal, worst i have seen...cant fix that really without replacing the back wall...mark murrell can help you with this and he is the only one i know of

if you have read the other threads you have read about the epoxy route...both sides of the goal, i would smooth out the area, use the liquid hard nails next and get it to soak into the wood, let dry completely, get recommended epoxy, mold, fill, shape, dry, and then sand to spec and smooth it out, paint if wanted...

i am of the opinion, although I have not really shared this or tried it yet, that after doing all this, you take a high density laminant, perfer white, and cut a piece about 1 1/2 inches wide and as long as the straight side of the goal (before the curve)...the side facing the goal edge should be sanded to a 45 degree bevel to help prevent further damage...the top and outside long edge should be softened/rounded to create least impact if ball hits the edge...leave bottom flat

make sure bottom is flush with table surface (or within 1/8 to 1/16 from table surface) make four of these, two for outside, two inside

get very good fast drying glue and make sure the strips are smoothly and completely covered and applied - no air bubbles

not perfect but better than replacing the back wall...my other thought was the same as that but use metal - however, if u use white lam, you could put a real cool customized message on the stip like, Fire Enters Here :P

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 04:13:13 PM »
Thanks for the ideas.

I'm in the process of searching out a good epoxy for this fix based on the info in the other posts. One other thing I was considering, but not sure if it would work, is to drill a small wood screw diagonally into the blown out area. The purpose of this would be to give the epoxy something else to grab onto (similiar to reinforcing steel in concrete). I'm not sure If I can find a screw small enough, but maybe it could help.

Thanks again, If the fix works out I'll try and remember to post some after pics.

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 04:18:11 PM »
One last question. Does Mark Murrell post on this forum, or does he have an email address so I can ask him about this fix?

Thanks.

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 04:25:30 PM »
Take all the bearings and rods out, remove the score keeper and remove the legs. Take it to a local cabinetmaker and ask them to how much to repair.  Ask them to underlay a piece of hardwood like Oak or Maple.  In a professional shop it can repaired in 4hrs.

They will have to take the top out to do this so it would be a good time to replace the side strips with the clear plastic ones.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 06:19:57 PM »

Man I was wonder'in where that table I learnt my snake shot went...lol!

Edgeer, 4 hours of work...sounds like a lot of moola for a $100 table.

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 07:32:31 PM »
If fixed properly you will have something that will last years.  It really isn't that hard to fix if you have the time and a little money to spend. Does the table have the three piece bearings?  If so then you can remove all the rods by removing the Bearings and Handles first. Then the Rods with all the men will come out as a unit.  If I had the plastic ready and a helper, I could do it in 2 hours.

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 10:52:12 AM »
its worth saving

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 06:11:26 PM »
I found a custom cabinet repair place that is able to create a new laminate back wall for me. They say they can do their best to match the laminate color and type. In order to have this done, they will not accept responsibility for the entire table, but want me to remove the back wall piece and take it to them to copy.

Is there anything tips or advice that you have before I go under my table with a screw driver and hammer?

I looked under the table and it appears that it is possible to remove the back wall from underneath, however I'm nervous that all the parts are glued and that I will do worse damage to the whole table if I attempt this disassembly.

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 06:17:41 PM »
I would not do that.  Take them the whole table.  Have them rabbet out the bad area, and inlay a piece of Oak or maple.  It will be a major rebuild to remove the entire backwall.  Email me your phone number and I will explain in more detail.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 11:31:26 PM by EDGEER »

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 10:41:59 PM »
Ed,

when you are done, if you could take some time and explain this step by step in detail so I can add it to my resources...this should be common knowledge and available to everyone because it is such a common problem

Offline EDGEER

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 11:45:49 PM »
This is not very well written but here it is:

If you attempt to remove the back wall your looking at a total rebuild which is fine if you want to replace the exterior laminate.  If you dismantle the cabinet it will never regain it's original strength.  I think this is a bad idea and unnecessary.

I recommend you remove all the rods, score-keepers and legs.  Take it to the cabinet shop and have them do the repair.  Once they take the top out they can stand the cabinet on it's end and use this tool to cut a square groove where the goal is blown out.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/graphics/rabbtkit.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bit_rabbet.html&usg=__GIsZPP4FYurcQkvxtmVclMMb7yA=&h=220&w=209&sz=13&hl=en&start=559&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=QRQzNQMz6t-azM:&tbnh=107&tbnw=102&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drabbet%2Bjoint%26ndsp%3D21%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN%26start%3D546%26um%3D1

Have the cabinetmaker glue a piece of Oak or Maple in the rabbet similar to this pic.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/rabbet%20joint/Sandal_Woods/Boxes/Jewelry/DSC_0126.jpg

After the glue is dry they can then trim and sand the hardwood flush and glue a new piece of laminate over the hardwood insert.  Once you do this you will never have another blown goal.   Also, when they reinstall the playing surface make sure they clean any dried sealant that will prevent the top from laying flat once it is reinstalled.  If you want email the cabinet makers number to me and I will call and explain to him what your looking for him to do.  He will give you a better price if he is told exactly what to do.