Foosball.com Forums

New member with a few questions

New member with a few questions
« on: November 10, 2010, 04:13:25 PM »
First off I would like to say Hi!  I used to play foosball 20 years ago, but quit playing for whatever reason, now I want to pick it up again, so I have been looking at tables on Craigslist.  I found a 5 to 7 year old Tornado Whirlwind for $400.00 and I found what I think is a Tornado Gray Marble that is supposed to be 2 years old for $375.00.  I hope these descriptions are accurate because I have given myself a crash course starting this morning and Iam ready to by something in the next couple of days!  Do either of these deals sound fair?  Does one sound better than the other?  The guy that has the Gray Marble was honest and said one of the bars has a minor bend, but he feels that it does not hamper play.  How do I know for sure that it is a Gray Marble?  If I look at the picture Gray Marble sounds like the picture looks.

Thanks-
Scooby

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
Re: New member with a few questions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 04:22:39 PM »
Scooby,

DO NOT...i  repeat....DO NOT...pay $400 for a whirlwind.  As far as the gray marble table, it depends on the model of the table.  if you want to post a link to the ad, I would (as would others, I am sure) be happy to take a look at the picture and give you some sound advice.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 04:30:30 PM »
http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/tag/2029607971.html

This is the one that has responded, we agreed on $375.00 on the phone if it passes inspection.

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/tag/2023495935.html

This is another one that looks the same, but they have not called back yet.

Thanks again!
Scooby

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 04:31:09 PM »
Scoob-

Only buy the Gray Marble if it's a coin-op PERIOD!! There is a home model called a Storm II that looks alot like a Gray Marble coin-op but trust me it's not. If it is a Gray Marble coin-op BUY IT IMMEDIATELY!! For $375 it's a steal. The Whirlwind is even less quality than the Storm II so don't even bother with that either. Replacement bars for coin-ops are not cheap but at that price it's worth it. The dead give away if it is a T2000 Gray is a split top cabinet, should be able to see in photos and of course the coin-mech. That table minimum should go for $650-$700 so get it while it's hot.

Good Luck

Snake

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 04:31:50 PM »
Links posted..............thanks!

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 04:35:33 PM »
Scoob-

Just looked at the craigs list post.

They are both Storm II tables.. Hold out for a coin-op. I know it's not what you wanted to hear but trust me I won't be the only one to tell you that.

Snake

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 04:38:47 PM »

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 04:43:33 PM »
Scoob-

The top one of the two craigs list omaha yes. The bottom one no it's an old single back man Tornado from back in the day. Brown Marble coin-ops are possibly the best ever made and can be bought at unbeliveable deals. I got mine for $250 and had to put a few parts on it but still a great investment. Make sure listing says coin-op Tornado.

Snake

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 04:43:37 PM »
Well, I don't TOTALLY agree with Snake eyes, I think any spit cabinet Tornado is good, not just coint ops.  

But either way, that is as Snake says, Storm II.  Now, is it WORTH $375, probably.  Can you find a better table in the same price range? Probably.
With that said, I don't know how many pop up for sale in South Dakota.  

Don't we have a regular poster to this forum from South Dakota?  Maybe he can help locate one.

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 04:48:07 PM »
Now Pat how many non-coin op split cabinet Tornado tables have you seen or craigs list? LOL.

Just my 2 cents.

Snake

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 04:53:29 PM »
Man this is tougher than I thought it would be!  So what is a fair price on the coin op?  They are asking $650.00.  If I can't afford the coin op then what are my best choices of tables for $300.00 to $400.00?  I want to have a good table, but Iam not going pro either.  Is there a new table that I can get from a store that is quality that fits in my price range?  I absolutley cannot tell you how grateful Iam for finding this site AND for all of the help you folks are giving me.  I must have got lucky, usually I would have bought the table THEN found this site to find out that I bought a inferior table!

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 05:00:01 PM »
Scoob-

I know I am being a hog of this post but here is my thoughts. Brown Marble coin-op's $300-500 depending on quality, chipped formica, rusted bars, watch the playing surface and make sure it's not warped!! and the goal to make sure it's not chipped in the corners!! Gray Marbles $600.00-$800 same things to look for. do not buy any Wal-Mart or Target brand table your on the right track, I suggest finding a bar close to you and asking who vends it or maintains it, ask them if they have any used brown marble's they want to sell...Thats how I got mine for $250.00. Or just keep checking craigslist even if it's a couple hours drive if the price is right. $650 is too high for that brown listed keep looking, should be able to get one like that for around $400.00.

Snake

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 05:54:38 PM »
OK I will keep looking, I sent a email to the coin op guy...............we will see.  Are there any other options to look for in the $300.00 to $400.00 range?  The only things that worry me about the coin op is the price and then my ability to know what kind of condition it is in considering that Iam really new to this and I have no idea what the parts would cost if I could identify the parts that it would need anyway.  I guess that is why Iam wondering if there are any other options in my price range.  Like I said we just want to have some fun on a quality table and not break the bank.  If I hold out for a coin op I may be too old to play by the time I find one!

Thanks again.

Offline JnK

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 11:39:24 PM »

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/tag/2029607971.html

This is the one that has responded, we agreed on $375.00 on the phone if it passes inspection.

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/tag/2023495935.html

there rite both these tables u should not buy,  they both dont have the dual bearings that make the table so smooth,

both these home version u will find the bars will bend alot the table is so much lighter, in the end its not worth it,

the cost of these tables if it was not the marble finnish but the normal table its self was selling for 600 bucks down here in cannada, i would not buy them unless they ere 300 dollars or less, not more

This is another one that looks the same, but they have not called back yet.

Thanks again!
Scooby
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:41:38 PM by JnK »

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 03:18:41 PM »
A different opinion......I recently bought a Storm II table off craigslist for $400 it was in excellent condition. While the bearings are cheaper 1.5 inch snap in  it is not like it requires extra effort to move the rods when well lubed...the move fine and smooth. The rods are thinner -though the outside diameter is the same, again not like they are fragile...if not abused they should  last on a home table for a long time. The men are the same counter balanced as on the other tables(though not to be confused with the new men). From what I see the playing surface is the same as the other more expensive tables. The biggest factor is the weight, at 225 lbs it is a 100 less than coin op.  Before I bought this table I had not played in about 10 years. I have had no problem improving my game and then playing at the local pub on the coin op.

In conclusion I just don't see coin ops-or any tornado table for that matter- up for sale in my area(northern Vermont) and am happy to have found this one. Certainly my preference would be a coin op table but financial considerations have to be taken into account. Having said all this I should now point out the the tables in the pictures look different then my Storm II.  The table I have has the ball return on the yellow side   not the ends.