Foosball.com Forums

Which gloves?

Which gloves?
« on: August 18, 2011, 06:25:19 PM »
I ordered the P4P gloves from foosball.com and they are literally falling apart after just a week of play.
I'm going to get something more heavy duty this time. I'm thinking maybe golfing gloves or tennis gloves.

Has anyone tried any that are particularly durable and offer superior grip without being too bulky?
It'd be nice if they could grip well on the old wooden handles, without tape.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:39:53 PM by snafu »

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
Re: Which gloves?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 07:37:44 PM »
If you can find a light-enough set of today's new hi-tech gardening and/or workshop/toolshop gloves, which are typically a knit stretchable fabric, but have hundreds of those rubberized friction dots on the palm-side.. those work much better than the cabretta and other calfskin  or synthetic leather gloves I've tried over the years.  They also breath through the knit very well, not only wicking or soaking up most sweat to let it evaporate away from the palm-side.
;
The trick is to find those light enough, similar to ladies' light winter wool gloves, so you still look like you're playing bebefoot and not working on the garden, overhauling your car, or cooking chicken in a pot.  Get a color or 2-color combo that you can live with, too... Or you might have to live with your friends' pics of you in pink gloves on Facebook or Friendster forever.  Unless pink is your color, of course.

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »
I have been using Footjoy raingrip gloves. I get one size smaller than I would normally wear so they won't get loose if they stretch out.

They are made to get tackier if they get wet.

$20/pair on-line...also found them at Golf Galaxy for the same price.

I throw mine in the wash after an event and they last a long time. I usually take one pair for each event I'll play that day...works pretty good.

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 09:27:53 AM »
I have actually tried the P4P gloves, as well as DOZENS of other styles as well.  The P4P didn't last as long as some, but lasted longer than others.  BUT, I am using them with a wrap on the handles as well, not on the plain wooden handles.  I liked the P4P gloves for the feel, But I also didn't find them to last as long as I would like.  Right now, I am currently using golf gloves made by Nike.  Nike Dura-Feel, work well for me, and are usually available at larger sporting goods stores at a reasonable price (10-15 bucks), but you can probably find them online for about $9-10.  I find that using gloves with the wrap on the handles improves my grip.  VERY positive feel between my hand and the handle.

Hope that helps.  The other styles of glove (for me) are too bulky.  I like to be able to feel the handle (as in feel the ridges of the handle) when I am playing.  Golf gloves are the only ones thin enough yet still durable enough to play with.  That said, a good pair of gloves usually only lasts about 2-3 tournaments for me.  But they last for about 6 months worth of practice at home and at local weekly events.

Hope that helps,

Pat

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 11:21:36 PM »
 So far I like Golf Gloves by Foot-Joy, Nike Dura-Flex, Snake eyes, & Golden Bear (good & economical). Somtime on left,right, both or neither, whatever feels good at the time. Back in the olden days I liked a fingerless Golf Glove( as they were made in the 70s) on the left & ample amout of baseball pitcher's Rosin bag dust (now outlawed) on the right.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 01:04:34 AM »
My favorite golfs are given below.

Snak eyes
Nike Dura flex
Foot joy
Golden Bear

Cuban cigars > Cuban cigars online
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:52:58 AM by Agnes »

Offline alaris

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 12:58:45 PM »
Foot Joy

sirflair

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 09:12:59 AM »
Might I suggest the Warrior Golf-foosball gloves. I don't know what the suggested retail is but they will be available to foosers for 11.95. I ordered extra right handed for foosnall. Most golfers use left and sometimes right hard to find. They are good quality golf gloves and I will send one free to the 1st 5 foosers who email email removed. sorry. a glove and copy this txt in there email. all i ask is an evaluation on the glove.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 05:24:53 PM by macfoos »

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 11:42:59 AM »
back in TS days you had to wear a glove unless you had no sweat because handles were plastic and wraps hadn't been invented or discovered yet...tried tons of things at the time and then when I came back to foos 7 years ago after a 20+ year lay off, I tried everything i could find wraps, tubes, powders, sticky crap, and of course gloves...

I have tried some Foot Joy and the Duraflex of the ones mentioned and it really depends on you...I want a very thin glove which adds no "thickness" to the already too thick handles (IMO) and I don't like scratchy surfaces, I love the feel of real subtle golf glove leather...man that stuff is the best and if you find the glove which really fits you, in my case it is cadet med, then the experience is worth the cost whatever that is...I just chalk it up to the cost of doing business

the duraflex is not 100% leather and so I am not a fan...you can get a 100% leather FootJoy and its good but the best past and present all leather, thin, high end, and as tough as I can expect from that is the Nike Elite....it will take a little looking online to find them because this kind of glove is slowly going the way of the dinasour, no comments from the peanut gallery

now if you want a glove that will last and don't care about thickness or the custom feel of leather all over your hand, you ought to look at batting gloves and the "all the rage" Football reciever gloves...you get tons of sticky, you probably would never wear a pair out playing foosball...these are pretty darned expensive

all that said, wraps are a better value and you never have to worry about the perfect fit on your hand...the only advantage the glove has is that its much quicker getting ready for a game but, if you are playing on old Tornado, meaning wood handles, gloves aren't really made to work with wood so you don't get the best grip possible unless you wrap like Fred does but heck, he wraps and uses finger cots with the glove...man, talk about time getting ready to play

I have tried it Freds way and you definately get the most grip much like gloves with the old plastic TS handles...maybe better with the finger cot and all leather glove

the Nike Elite can be had for about $12-$14 and less for left handed but again they take a little work to find

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:17:02 PM »
;............
all that said, wraps are a better value and you never have to worry about the perfect fit on your hand...the only advantage the glove has is that its much quicker getting ready for a game but, if you are playing on old Tornado, meaning wood handles, gloves aren't really made to work with wood so you don't get the best grip possible unless you wrap like Fred does but heck, he wraps and uses finger cots with the glove...man, talk about time getting ready to play...............
;
Uhhh .. I agree for the most part, but uhh ... nice leather batting gloves (no probs getting a pair) are MADE TO GRIP WOOD,  and many Franklins, Nikes, and Spauldings and Wilsons even extend up your forearm enough to create a grippy contact for even rollovers and extreme open-hand palm roll shots.  And yes, they're designed to work with the tape that half of pro league wooden bats come with, and the tape used for hockey sticks.  No problem working with wraps. they work splendidly.
;
Just don't get those gloves big enough for hockey, LMAO!  Get the ones configured for baseball....  Another plus is that they're configured to deal with more weathering, more sweating and don't dry-rot and fall apart  for a lot longer than those calfskin or cabretta golf gloves, which are of course designed for the rubberized/synthetic golf club grips.  I had the best experience with golf gloves on the old Dynamo tables with the duhhhhh.... thinner golf-club-like handles.
;
Pick the equipment from the more similar application, is all I can say...

Offline wildcard

• Bing-Bing-BING-G-G-G-G! Ricochet Rabbit!
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 06:45:34 PM »
Might I suggest the Warrior Golf-foosball gloves. I don't know what the suggested retail is but they will be available to foosers for 11.95. I ordered extra right handed for foosnall. Most golfers use left and sometimes right hard to find. They are good quality golf gloves and I will send one free to the 1st 5 foosers who email cobra@warriortablesoccer.com a glove and copy this txt in there email. all i ask is an evaluation on the glove.

SirFlair and Cobra,

Just wanted to give you a GREAT BIG THANKS for the Warrior Glove you sent me. I can't speak yet for its longevity because I've only used it for about 3 weeks but I can say that it works GREAT with the yellow coated Tornado handles, I don't even have to use a wrap at all. Closed-hand shots are way easier now that my 50-year-old skin isn't taking the brunt of the force when I torque up or stub a shot. It even works good for rollovers and also open-handed shots. I have average to small hands and I found that the medium suited me perfectly. I heartily endorse the Warrior Golf gloves! Definitely worth the money.

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 07:17:21 PM »
I would like to second the quality and joy of play with the Warrior Glove.

My biggest suprize was that the Rollover shot worked so well with this glove....the construction of the wrist materials is very minimal which is nice because it does not cause an interference with the seams that are typically thicker and "beadier" like i have seen on other gloves I have tried.

This glove is excellent!

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 09:56:08 AM »
Don't forget that gloves work best with "condoms" on the handles:

That's what Rico uses. With this, the grip is absolutely insane.

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 06:28:47 PM »
Don't forget that gloves work best with "condoms" on the handles:

That's what Rico uses. With this, the grip is absolutely insane. .
;
Before or AFTER they've been USED?
;
 ::) :P :-X :-* 8)

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 09:24:35 AM »
*LOL* I'd like to see you using them for THAT...