Foosball.com Forums

Question about Tornado snap-in bearings?

Question about Tornado snap-in bearings?
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:10:55 PM »
So I just upgraded from a sportcraft table to a used Whirlwind I got for $150. I'm a beginner, and although I know the Whirlwind isn't a great table, used Tornados are very rare here in southern ontario where everyone plays FABI.

Question: Are the 1" snap-in bearings actually ball-bearings? I ask because sometimes listed "bearings" are actually just plastic bushings that the rod slides in, rather than actual ball-bearings that are easily gunked up and cleaned with some soapy water. I don't have a pin punch yet (ordered), so was curious how much better these bearings/bushings can get if I actually take them off and soak them in hot water. I've already cleaned and lubed the rods, but if they're just plastic bushings, which it kind of feels like, then I suspect they won't improve too much more. I certainty can't hear any "rolling" sounds, much more like the sound of the rods quietly sliding over plastic...

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
Re: Question about Tornado snap-in bearings?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 12:20:21 PM »
They are plastic bushings, as you suspected.  But cleaning them with hot water and a mild detergent will help.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 12:27:21 PM »
Thanks! Are all foosball "bearings" actually plastic bushings, then? Or are the hexagonal bearings on the better Tornado tables actual ball bearings? Just curious...

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 01:48:03 PM »
Not all foosball "bearings" are actually "bushings".  However, on the higher end tables, that is the  case.  All of the Tornados use the plastic bushings.  In the higher end Tornado, it is a 3 piece bushing (the hexagonal pieces you mentioned is one of the three pieces).

Some of the lower end manufacturers do actually use bearing designs that have ball bearings in them.  But Tornado, Fireball, Warrior, and most other higher end tables use bushings.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 04:12:31 PM »
I can only think of one high end table that uses roller bearings. The Eurosport. Spin the rod and it spins forever. :)

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 04:46:08 PM »
Garlando tables also use ball bearings.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 04:53:02 PM »
I said high end.... Hehe , j/k

Offline PatRyan

• www.usatablesoccer.org
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 05:15:01 PM »
OK higher end tables readily available to the US Market, that people actually play here, and I did say MOST higher end tables  ;)

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 01:24:19 AM »
I said high end.... Hehe , j/k
;
Y'such a meanie Ezekiel!  ;D ;D ;D
;
I used to love playing on the old old Garlandos when I was in Europe!  Balls never ever stopped rolling away!