Foosball.com Forums

Think I've found a table. Transportation tips?

Think I've found a table. Transportation tips?
« on: February 02, 2012, 10:01:16 PM »
So I have been keeping an eye out for tables for my new place, and I have found somebody with a grey marble coin op table. They are asking $500, but I think I can get them down a bit. The only concern that I have is transportation.

I drive an 05 4runner, and I am not sure if it will just fit in my car. I would prefer not to have to disassemble it, only because I don't know how. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I don't want to sit around at their house while trying to do so. Do you guys have any tips on transporting a coin op table? I read another thread that suggested that a table, when disassembled, could easily fit into a rav 4. I know I can get the table, I'm just not sure about what I'll have to do to move it back to my place.

Thanks,
  Neel

Re: Think I've found a table. Transportation tips?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 10:13:14 AM »
Hi, I just went through this a few weeks ago and thanks to advice from the experienced folks on this board I was able to fit a coin-op into my Jetta wagon with plenty of room to spare. It required disassembly, so you may or may not want to follow the plan I've outlined below. That said, the disassembly was pretty quick and easy.

1. Remove handles by punching out the roll pins. To do this, slide the rod so the handles are as close to the cabinet as possible. That way there is less chance of bending the rods. Tap tap tap with the roll pin punch and a hammer until the pins come out. Handles then slide off easily.

2. Remove scoring beads. Phillips head screw holds on each post, just unscrew these and each scoring unit can be removed, intact.

3. Remove bearing hex nuts with a Tornado wrench. These come off easily. If you don't have the bearing wrench, channel locks will work fine, just be gentle.

4. Remove split bearings.

5. Now the rods are loosey goosey. Slide the rod until the bumper on the end of the rod slips into the bearing hole. Once you do this the end of the rod will be JUST inside the cabinet and you can lift it up and out. This method allows you to remove the rods without removing the men.

6. On the hinges holding the top half to the bottom half is a small acorn nut. Remove those.

7. Lift top (with help) and slide the top unit off the hinge.

8. Unscrew the nuts holding the legs on. 2 nuts per leg, and I believe they are 9/16".

9. Again with help, lift the bottom half off the legs.

Now you have the legs, bottom half, top half, scoring units, and rods all separate. Will fit into even a small car like mine.

Hope that helps!

Kevin
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:47:20 AM by kgstewar »

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 10:17:02 AM »
The rods are the biggest problem. The 2 bars are probably too long to fit in an SUV. If you have  decent size truck you can just take the legs off, but if not you are going to need to take it apart. KG gave a good run down of how to disassemble a table so just follow those and take it apart. It's good to know the workings anyways because at some point you will need to replace things on the table.

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 10:27:20 AM »
And one more reason to do a complete disassembly is that it is easy to clean everything when it's apart, especially the playfield. Then when you put it all back together, it will look and play like new!

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »
Thanks, guys.

Once a roll pin has been punched out, is it no longer usable? It sounds like I would have to buy a roll pin punch and several additional roll pins to move the table in my own car. I am not sure if I will be able to get those by Sunday, and the deal is kind of dependent on picking the table up by then (got them down to $450 to $600).

kgstewar, did you already have the punch, or do you know where to get one on short notice?

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:41:05 AM »
I would include a step 1.5 to kgstewar instructions...take off scoring pegs on each end of the table.

In the vast majority of cases you can reuse punch pins.  Since you will be punching out only the 8 pins in the handle, you could improvise a bit with the roll pin punch...possibly a nail that is the same diameter as the pin???  I've found the pins in the handles come out a lot easier than the ones in the men.  I would also suggest you using a wood block to place under the rod when pounding out the pin.  I've seen many a damaged bearing by pounding directly on the rod which is then putting stress on the plastic bearing...just my $.02.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 02:04:29 PM by jinhopark »

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 10:45:01 AM »
There is a good chance that there is a roll pin punch and bearing wrench inside the cabinet of the table. Ask the sellers. If not, I got mine from Charles Mckintosh (336-210-1194). He also has a website (www.tornadofoosball.com). I'm in NC and so is he, so I was able to get my tools in one day. Give him a call, he may have a solution for you. Great guy and very knowledgeable and helpful.

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 10:45:36 AM »
Jinho, yes!!!  I forgot that step. Going to edit my instructions to include that. Thanks!

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:57:59 AM »
One more thought neelshiv...the cabinets on these tables lock. Make sure the sellers have the key(s), and if not, make sure the cabinet is unlocked! If it is locked and there are no keys, you will only be able to remove the rods. Charles Mckintosh has keys, if necessary.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 02:22:38 PM »
Thanks for the tips, guys. I sent the owner an email asking if t here is a punch inside of the cabinet (with a picture of one). If there isn't, I might just rent/borrow a truck. It might be more appropriate to learn how to disassemble a foosball table on my own time.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2019, 12:56:56 PM »
Re:  6. On the hinges holding the top half to the bottom half is a small acorn nut. Remove those.

Perhaps mine is different for some reason.  On my coin-op, they don't look like there's anything like a acorn nut that can be unscrewed and removed.  There is a round part/tip on one end of the threaded screw, but looks almost soldered to me.  There isn't much there to grab on to twist off.  I have pics to share, wish I could easily attach here. 

If that is the case, I must then unscrew the hinges to separate top and bottom half?  Or can I use a hammer to pound out the screw?  Please advise.  My goal is to move it to upstairs room from garage.