Foosball.com Forums

Free play without having to open the table every time?

Free play without having to open the table every time?
« on: February 05, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »
Hi everybody,
  I just got a grey marble coin op, and I can't wait to get into the action. I have been reading about free play setups, and it seems as though the preferred method is to block the entry to the ball catcher and reach into the tables for balls every time you want to play.

Although this is very doable, I feel like it would start to get old. Has anybody ever attempted to block off the ball progression up at the goals? I was looking into how it might work, and there are little gaps between the sides of the ramp system and the side of the table. It seems like a paint stirring stick or something around that size might be able to be put in that gap, which I am hoping would allow me to keep reusing the same ball without opening the table every so often.

Does anybody else enable free play this way, or is there some reason that I shouldn't do it this way?

Re: Free play without having to open the table every time?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 05:47:08 PM »
Congratulations on your purchase! I think most people use these blanks in the coin-op mechanism to get free play.

http://tornadofoosb.powweb.com/store/page16.html

Kevin

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:01:12 PM »
neelshiv,
;
Standard quickest way to get freeplay on your Tornado coin-op is the same as at regionals or majors. You open the table, take off the easily removable ball tray in the middle by sliding it upwards.  You do this so you can easily reach inside to the ball return rail.  Otherwise you can't get to the rail without opening the table again.  Stop the balls from going through the hole in the wood back into the ball rail mechanism. You can do this with a little block of wood, 5-7 beer coasters, or even just stuffing it with napkins or a rag.. so the returning balls can only roll to the end of the rail and not into the ball rail mechanism.
;
You shouldn't be using only one ball if you can help it.. because for one, with 2-3 balls.. there's always one or more balls ready to pull out while the just-scored ball rolling back is still on its way.  Another reason is to prevent overuse and wear that comes with using only one ball.  This is a non-problem at tournaments, since even one ball won't wear enough in 2-5 days of a smaller to larger regional or major tourstop.  But for everyday practice, you'd like to rotate 3 or more balls.. this also helps with convenience when one or more balls indadvertently fall off the return rail to the sides because of spin or the table moving.
;
Of course the other way if you have the table in a den or home or garage room, never to be moved... is to use the blanks that should have come with your table.  Or easily orderable, too, although the plug blanks should already be in the coin mechanism when you open it.  Taking off the springs and simple screws from the top of the coin mechanism is pretty straightforward.  You insert the plugs to close all the quarter slots and bolt the top back.  Several other threads on here go through this in detail.
;
If you wish to practice on the black side, instead of the yellow, coin-op side... then your idea to block the balls at the goals before they even go into the ramps at all, becomes convenient, although you should still rotate the balls every so often, especially if you tend to play or practice for hours each day.  Simply stuffing the goals works, of course, but you lose the nice loud Tornado BLAM! sound and feedback eachtime you pound a ball into the goal.  Putting rags or duct-taping your paint stirring stick cut off to measure just out of sight of the goal but still easily retrievable by hand would then be most convenient.  Using rags or foam.. whether in back of the goal or just below goal height inside, works of course, but as I said.. no booming shots and even any rag or foam just below the goal where the ramp starts can alter the sound and feel of scored balls.  So the paint stirring stick, cut to the width of the ramp, then glued or duct taped to the end of the ramps, would be the best alternative... booming shot sounds, easy trap and easy recovery of the same ball.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:08:59 PM by foozkillah »

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 06:46:45 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I had heard that repeatedly using the coin mechanism was bad for the table, as they tend to wear out and are expensive to replace. For that reason, I was not sure if I wanted to use spacers (even though pumping the coin mech is really satisfying).

I had read about blocking the mechanism that receives the ball, but I either did not read the guide closely enough or it did not mention that you could remove the tray to make it easy to access the balls. I had assumed that people were repeatedly opening and closing their table.

Thanks again!

edit: Just got back to the house and lifted up the tray like you said. I'm definitely liking this solution. I still might get the little plugs for the coin slots, though. I think that could be a really cool way to do it if I am ever entertaining people.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:56:14 PM by neelshiv »

Offline Jeron

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:16:39 PM »
the best way i have found to block the balls is to put a golf ball on the track.... its big enough that it wont go through the hole into the ball mechanism but its small enough that it sits on the track really well and won't fall off... just make sure you don't grab the golf ball otherwise the rest will go into the ball mechanism and you will have to rack it to get them out...

Offline MR.STEVE

• slowhand
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 04:52:04 PM »
take out the ready ramp plug the hole with duck tape...easy as pie.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 08:34:21 PM »
I have modified my coin-op for free play in a more permanent, but still reversible way.

Insert a custom ramp from the goal with no ramp. The ramp extends from the goal to the middle of the factory ramp that runs from one goal. Both ramps now form a V-shape. The ball cannot roll down the factory ramp any further and can't roll on the rails. Make a hole in the ramp wall for the ball to drop on the ready ramp. A triangle block in the middle of the V can be  installed to ensure the ball deflects straight into the hole onto the ready ramp without rolling up and down the ramps before it slows down and goes into the whole.

Advantages:
    The time between a goal being scored and the same ball being available in the ball hole is less than for any other method. You can use one ball very comfortably without waiting for it to roll around the ramps.
    The ready ramp remains. This means no bending low and sticking half an arm into the table to retrieve the ball.
    Reversible

Disadvantages:
    DIY skills
    Experimenting. Angle of the ramp. Materials. Ready ramp may need a change (I used sheet metal instead of the thick MDF). Size of the whole. Size and shape of the deflector block.
    Reversing the changes to use the coin-op again is not as trivial as reversing the "stuffing a rag at the end of the rail and removing the ready ramp" solution
    Some may say it is not completely reversible. Functionality can be reversed, but it's likely modification efforts would be observable. If this is important to a buyer, it might lower the value of the table in their eyes.

I would be keen to hear of alternative free play adjustments to the Tornado coin-op table excluding the ones described:

Spacers to set coin-op mechanism to free play
    Plugging the hole at end of rail and removing ready ramp
    Custom ramp, whole and deflector method above

On a personal note, it would not be difficult for Tornado to have a convenient free play vs coin-op switch/lever/adjuster. I guess the logic is, if you have a coin-op, you want to charge for every game. This doesn't account for a lot of players purchasing coin-ops for their superior quality.

Alex

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 09:57:51 PM »
Just block the track like others suggested. Buy 7-8 balls. Put a container (I use a small cardboard box) on the flat part of the table near the yellow score posts. Pull out all the balls and put them in the container. Shoot them out, refill, repeat.

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 03:36:50 PM »
This is how you do it. A pic of one of Todd Loffredo's practice Tables.

http://s1065.photobucket.com/albums/u394/trevor_s/?action=view&current=LoffredosPracticeBalls.jpg

Offline foozkillah

• Sure Ain't A Livin'

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 02:34:29 PM »
If you take the coin-op mechanism out of the table and set it upside down you will see 4 catch hooks under a "U" shaped guard. If you run  quarters through you will notice how these catch hooks lift away from the slide as it is pushed forward. By using a paper clip cut into a long U you can slip it under the hook and tie it off on the U-guard. I imagine there are other ways to do this as I used a magnet to also lift and hold it but the magnet was the wrong shape to fit in the table. My table came with two mechanisms and one was set for free play but I never really looked to see how it was done, I just examined the other one to see what could be done.

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 03:25:30 PM »
I bought the plugs from Charles Mcintosh at Tornadofoosball put them in and no more quarters.   ;D