Foosball.com Forums

Table ID

Table ID
« on: June 08, 2012, 05:03:52 PM »
New to the forums, former diehard college player...20 years ago!  I have recently purchased a table for $35, mainly for the kids but am now finding it might have been for me instead.  Anyway, I would like to find out if anybody has info on it.  I believe it is a Great American but cannot be certain.  So far I enjoy playing but would like to replace the grips, which are rubber.  Would I be able to add wood grips or do I need to stick with something that is also rubber?

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 05:20:34 PM by ttvFoos »

Re: Table ID
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 05:18:51 AM »
35$ for that table?  That's a pretty good buy.  Congrats.  I'm not familiar with the table, but I think I can offer some advice on how to get a better game out of it. 

If you plan on going the wooden handle path there are some things to keep in mind.  Wooden handles are ok and are usually cheaper than their 'new' rubber counterparts, but you will need a hole in the rod in order to install them.  Wooden handles usually come with a hole in them where a pin is inserted in order to keep them firmly held to the rod.  Thus the rod will also require a hole of similar diameter, which, if it does not already exist, will obviously need to be drilled in.  Also, most players who play on tables with wooden handles will eventually wrap them in some type of wrap (like those applied to the handles of tennis raquets).  This allows for better grip (which is what the rubber handles are suppose to do) and reduces slippage of the handle and also reduces sweat.  In my opinion, I would go for a set of updated rubber handles (like fireball's) or a set of Garlando handles (which can be wrapped and work well) like listed here:

http://www.tischfussballshop.at/Spare-Parts/Handles/?XTCsid=6e2ef2bbcf94449a295352dbbfd88ebb

Make sure you check that the diameter of the rod confirms with the diameter of the hanlde.  If, when taking off your handles, you find that your rods have splines to keep your current handles on the rods, then the Garlando handles listed above may be your best bet.

Also, to make your table sturdier, I would add some weight to it (like weighlifting plates or somthing similar) to the underside of the cabinet.  The better you get, the less likely you will tolerate it moving when playing a spirited game.

Lastly, go for a better ball.  For your table, I would recommend a 'gummier' ball, like an older Barenherz Magic ball (if you can find one - if not, a newer one is also ok) or one like the Leonhart table players use (can also be found in the site above).  No need to have more than three (two is enough, but you're bound to lose one eventually).  The reason I say 'for your table' is because of the rounded toes on the men.  This allows you to 'pin' the ball with the player's foot.  In order to do this readily, a gummier ball will be required.  I find larger, harder balls (like what Tornado tables use) are not the best suited for that type of table.

Good luck

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:33:19 PM »
Instead of buying new handles, just get wraps for your current ones.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 04:43:05 PM »
Thanks SS and jagiar for the replies.  This was a craigslist buy and I was weary by the picture but decided to check it out anyway.  When I saw the table first hand, I could not get the money out fast enough because I knew it was an unbelievable price. 

I will do some checking on the wraps but if I do decide to change out the grips, I think I will stick with updated rubber.  Our old college table had wooden handles and I really liked the feel of those.  However, I am not sure I want to mess with drilling the rods and then making sure that the grips are tight.  As for the weight, this table is actually pretty heavy.  I have been giving it a good amount of action and I don't notice any movement...it is pretty solid.

Any advice on removing the old grips?

Thanks again.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 04:09:33 AM »
Instead of buying new handles, just get wraps for your current ones.

I think wrapping the ones currently on it would make the handles excessively thick (from what I can see from the pictures) and not accomodating to a controlled style of play.

I will do some checking on the wraps but if I do decide to change out the grips, I think I will stick with updated rubber.  Our old college table had wooden handles and I really liked the feel of those.  However, I am not sure I want to mess with drilling the rods and then making sure that the grips are tight.  As for the weight, this table is actually pretty heavy.  I have been giving it a good amount of action and I don't notice any movement...it is pretty solid.

Any advice on removing the old grips?

Thanks again.

I have a Tornado table with wooden handles which I have wrapepd and I must admit, I really dislike them when compared to my Garlando table with the wrapped wooden/plastic inlaid handles.  The Tornado handles are just too thick when wrapped and they also have a little play in them due to the pin system of installment.  It's very bothersome when you're trying to execute a pinpoint placement of the ball to have the handle play slightly in your hand when exectuting the shot/pass.   I can't wait to upgrade them to Tornado's new rubber handles.  As for taking yours off, it really depends on how they are currently applied (which, of course, you can only tell when you get them off).  Your table looks like an older Garlando (or at least Garlando parts), which means they're probably held on with splines.  In which case, pull each handled rod out all the way towards you.  Have a sturdy pal grip the rod firmly against the outside of the cabinet (pressing his hand against the outside of the cabinet).  This will stop the rod from vibrating for the next step. Get a stout priece of wood (a 2x2 or 2x4 is best) and but it up against the inside of the handle.  Next, hammer the peice of wood with a rubber mallet to get the handle to come off all the while your pal tries to hold the rod stout to stop it from moving as you hammer off the handle.  This will also stop the rod from unneccessarily banging agianst the cabinet while you're hammering which may damage the table.  You don't need to hammer too hard.  Just a few sound taps will do.  That's how I get my Garlando handles off when I need to transport my table for tournaments.  If, in the worst case scenario, they're glued on, you can just cut the off the handle with a blade and clean up the remains off the rod with silicone remover.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »
If you switch out the current handles for something else that is rubber, you're probably going to get something similar to the 'fat handles' used by the tournament soccer brown top, which in my opinion are the worst handles in foosball:

You can try to pull off a handle on your rod, and if it has a hole drilled into the end to support a wooden handle, then go for it.

I still stand by my advice of simply using wraps.

Offline FOOZUL

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 12:06:01 PM »

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 02:19:36 PM »
I don't think I would switch them out with those SS, simply because I would like to go with something that is non-ribbed.  I like the octagon shaped handles, because that is what I had with my previous table, which looks like the ones on the ebay sale...thanks FOOZUL (is that your listing?).

Offline FOOZUL

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 03:45:53 PM »
No not my listing, it's just a listing on ebay...I ordered it before from them and I'm very happy with them.

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 06:28:40 PM »
Just curious...seems like a good price so I am going to give them a try.  jagiar pretty much confirmed what my hesitation was for changing to wood, and that was trying to get them tight.

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 03:03:14 AM »
Just curious...seems like a good price so I am going to give them a try.  jagiar pretty much confirmed what my hesitation was for changing to wood, and that was trying to get them tight.

For the price, those handles are a good buy.  From what I know of those handles, you shouldn't have any issues with fit (from what I can see of your pictures you have 16mm rods. You might want to confirm with a caliper before buying though).  The only issue I can see is that you might have a problem depending on how much you sweat.  But if do and you wrap those handles you'll have a good set up.  As for wraps, I recommend 'pro's pro' wraps.  They can be found on ebay and they last long.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 03:13:55 PM »
I'll let you know about the fit, as I ordered them yesterday.  And thanks for the tutorial on removing the old ones.

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 07:12:48 PM »
Yeah, let us know how it goes.

No problem. You're welcome.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 09:07:10 PM »
Yeah, let us know how it goes.

No problem. You're welcome.

The new handles arrived and are now on the table.  Thanks a bunch jagiar for the tutorial, your method worked perfectly...although it took more than a few hits with the mallet.  I did learn that my rods do have the pin holes so I could have gone with wooden handles.  I have only played a few games with these but I really like the feel of them, as they are shaped the same as I remember from the olden days.  The only thing I noticed is that a few of them are a bit wobbly when you spin them but I don't notice it when playing.

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 03:27:19 AM »
Great to hear ttv.  As they say, 'happy foosin'.

By the way, if they're a bit wobbly, it could be that they're not all the way in on the rod.  So try pushing in all the rods on a side of the table and see if the distance from the edge of the table to the inner edge of the handle are the same.  If not, try pushing in a little bit more those handles that are sticking out a little bit further.  But, if doesn't bother you, great.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:40:52 AM by jagiar »