Foosball.com Forums

"Monzini"?

"Monzini"?
« on: August 24, 2012, 09:48:41 AM »
I recently ran across an advertisement for a late 60s "Monzini" foosball table. This is either a typo or perhaps it is a clone/copy of a real Bonzini? Does anyone know anything about these (quality, interchangeability of parts with Bonzini, etc.). Thanks!

Kevin

Offline Tyler Foos

• JacksonvilleTableSoccer.com
Re: "Monzini"?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:59:12 AM »
Kgstewar,

If memory serves me, the first Bonzinis hit the US in 1970 and I believe 400 tables was the quantity that arrived then. Those would likely have been produced in the late 60's-1970. I would bet it was a typo, in the late 60's there wouldn't have been any Bonzinis here to copy. How are you able to date the table to the late 60's? And of course, nothing beats a picture to get better feedback.

Tyler

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 11:25:05 AM »
The seller described it as late 60s, not sure what that estimate is based on. Here's a photo:

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6603/monzini.jpg

Offline Tyler Foos

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 11:28:04 AM »
Yup, Bonzini. They do hold up and stand the test of time. Hand crafted solid beechwood will do that!

Take care..................................Tyler

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:48:20 PM »
So check this out.

http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=599348

I think the table in the picture I posted above really is a "Monzini". Does anyone know anything about these tables? Quality, parts availability, etc.?

Offline Tyler Foos

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »
I stand corrected, and I am a bit surprised at how close it looks to a Bonzini. I know Bonzinis were originally an Italian table but moved their operation to France. Maybe they were Monzini when made in Italy? Hard to imagine that they were not connected, as similar as they appear to be. Alan - where are you?!!

Take care....................................Tyler

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 09:47:50 PM »
The Monzini is an almost exact copy of the Bonzini with one fatal flaw.  The men are the type where the entire back comes off and you clamp the man to the rod with 2 small bolts/nuts; the bolts are embedded into the upper body.   If/when you set up a pin shot and torque down on the ball with the rod, the men will come out of alignment pretty quickly.  People will then over-tighten the men and eventually strip the bolts.  You can see the bolts/nuts on the back of the men in the 3rd and 5th pictures in the above link. 

I've played on a one and the quality was very good.  I would dare say that most people wouldn't know the difference between Monzini and Bonzini until looking at the players.  No idea if the parts will interchange.

A friend of mine in Germany restores old tables for a living and says people are always looking for a set of men that aren't striped or missing the back pieces.  The Monzini must be popular among people looking to restore....

Sites like that listed above always sell those tables as antiques and ask $$$$ for them.

Here is a link to another that was for sale a bit ago: http://www.trocadero.com/williamsantiks/items/373197/item373197.html
Search that site for "baby foot" and a few other French tables show up.

John

Offline Tyler Foos

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 08:40:14 AM »
Jonzini,

A Monzini being a copy of a Bonzini should be purchased before it's Gonzini!

Tyler Tetrazini

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 01:20:55 PM »
Jonzini, thanks for the info. By any chance, do you know how much a good condition Monzini goes for? I have no idea where to start with an offer.

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »
Well said. However there is also a table from Italy named MONDIAL. Perhaps this manufacturer made the Monzini with the bolted men. The Mondial I have has a glass surface, telescoping rods and molded on the rod red and blue men. Lotta fun to play on these old tables with the "half moon" shaped goals. GM

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:31:05 PM »
kgstewar,

Places like the one listed in the link you provided see the table as an antique and are probably selling it at the antique price.  What they're asking, don't know, but I would guess that you can call Alan Cribbs and get an excellent condition, used Bonzini tournament table for much less. 

Seems like the one in the link I provided above was in the mid $3k range.

Good luck!

John

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 11:50:50 PM »
I will do a little research and request some information about the "Monzini".
As soon as I get the feedback, I'll pass it along.
Will also send out some information about the up coming NC State Foosball Championships in October.

Player attendance and product popularity have shown significant increase over the summer. Now focusing on increasing the fun factor of playing foosball for good causes.

Alan

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 10:47:18 PM »
Post script ; the Mondial I have has metal three into one tubular steel legs that are brazed to a small cylinder that has a metric threaded leg leveler similar to appliance levelers. GM