Foosball.com Forums

Why exactly is coin-op better?

Why exactly is coin-op better?
« on: December 31, 2013, 10:22:14 PM »
Hello all,

First post on the forum. I got a foosball table for Christmas from Sears and quickly realized that it was not of the quality that I had come to expect in a foosball table.  I returned it, and began researching quality foosball tables.  I'm definitely convinced that a tornado table would be the best option for me, but I've read on these forums that coin operated tables are far superior to home models.  They're also more expensive, and harder to find on craigslist. I guess what I'm wondering is why are they so much better? I searched around on the forums but wasn't able to find any solid answers. Thanks in advance for your responses!

Sincerely,
Brian

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
Re: Why exactly is coin-op better?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 11:11:06 AM »
Coin ops retain their resale value best.  If you can get a coin op Tornado around the 500-600 range and keep it maintained, it will still be worth 500-600 ten years later.  That's just generally speaking.

If you think you might like to try the tournament scene, the coin op has a "better" feel.  You'll just have to experience this for yourself because it's difficult to explain to non tournament players.

If you don't think you'll ever be interested in tournament play, then the higher end Tornado home models will probably work just fine.  However, you can eventually find a used coin op for the price of most upper end home models.  If you think you might buy a new one, try hitting one of the regional tournaments.  You can usually pick one up for about 1395 that has been used only in the tournaments and never in a retail scene.

I recommend you hold out for a coin op Tornado, but I'm a Tornado player.  Tornado is much more common in the tournament scene.  Other options might be Fireball, Warrior, or if you live in the SE USA, maybe Bonzini.  Fireball plays well but I've heard horror stories about getting parts.  Warrior has improved their quality over previous models.  Neither has the track or service record of Tornado.  Bonzini is a different animal.  Try it before you buy it blindly.  If it fits your style and you're in the right area, it may work well for you.

Find some of your local hard-core players.  They may be able to point you in the right direction.  Let us know what part of the country you're in and maybe someone here will chime in.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 12:28:10 PM »
Thanks for the great feedback!  I guess I never really considered the resale value of a good table, but that makes a lot of sense.

I haven't considered getting into tournaments really at this point, but I do enjoy some competitive play.  I'm really imagining the table being used to entertain guests for the most part, but I want something that I'll actually be able to improve my skills on.

I'm pretty set on getting a Tornado table, as that's the brand I've had most experience with in bars.  As mentioned, I'm not really thinking about taking it up competitively at this time, but I would like a table that doesn't feel "not as good".  Does that make sense?

I'm trying to keep my budget under $500 for the table, and I've been looking around extensively on Craigslist for a good used table.  I don't plan on buying a brand new table.  I've found a few interesting offers including a Storm II for $450, and a coin-op for $800 (I offered $500.  I hope he doesn't get offended!)

Anyway, I'm in the Tampa Bay area, so if anyone has any leads within a 2 hour drive or so, please send them my way.  Thanks again!

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 01:00:52 PM »
PM me. I live in Florida and Im good buddies w/ Rob Kadle, the guy that runs Tampas tournaments. Hes a good dude and he can probably hook you up. Also, if you live near Tampa you should play some tournaments as they have one of the strongest tournament scenes in the country. Multiple world champions live there including Tony Spredeman, Tom Yore, Bob Diaz, etc. I make the 4 hour drive quite regularly just to play against the best.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 02:34:19 PM »
Anyway, I'm in the Tampa Bay area, so if anyone has any leads within a 2 hour drive or so, please send them my way.  Thanks again!

http://orlando.craigslist.org/spo/4236982202.html

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 03:19:51 PM »
Ahh I saw that one!  Sound almost too good to be true!  I contacted the seller, but haven't heard anything back yet.  ~fingers crossed~

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 08:54:25 PM »
At that price, I'd check it out in person.  If all the parts are there and in good shape, that's a parts price even if it's not playable.  It could also be a glass top which would be a good collector table.  There's just not enough info in the ad.

Try to get the guy to send you some pictures, then re-post them here where we either scare you out of it or question your sanity for not having it already loaded in your truck.

And if you're in Tampa, definitely check out Spredeman.  He's probably the most entertaining player to watch and a nice kid to boot.  Download some videos to play when your friends come over.  Who knows?  Maybe some of you will be inspired to become serious players.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 08:59:32 PM by papafoos »

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 01:22:29 PM »
Yes so far I haven't heard any reply on that table, so I'm guessing it's already been snatched up and the seller hasn't taken down the post yet. 

I DID find a coin-op Tornado for sale on CL for $800, I offered him $500, and he called me back and left a message.  Before I call him back, I was hoping you guys would take a look at the auction and let me know if you think $500 is a good deal for this one:

http://lakeland.craigslist.org/tag/4265885741.html

It looks like the Brown Marble model?  If so, I've read that those used should be in the $300-$400 range. Thoughts?

Thanks!

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 03:43:31 PM »
Yep, brown marble. $500 for a brown marble is on the high side, so at that price it should be in excellent condition. From the pictures, it looks to be in pretty good condition although the wear on the handles indicates it's had a bit of use. Seems clean, etc. I would certainly go no higher than $500 but I would offer that ONLY if:

1. No broken men, bearings, etc.
2. No damage to the cabinet like water damage, warping, swelling, blown out goals, etc.
3. No bent rods.

Problem 1 can usually be fixed cheaply so long as there are not too many of them; problem 2 is a deal killer; and problem 3 is an expensive fix (figure $45 per rod, with shipping). Subtract the cost of all potential fixes from $500 and that would be an ok offer. If you can be patient you WILL find a used coin-op at a fair price.

Good luck!

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 05:50:02 PM »
That makes a lot of sense. It doesn't look to be in bad shape, but yeah maybe I'll find a better deal if I'm patient.  Thanks for the advise!