Foosball.com Forums

Storage environment question.

Storage environment question.
« on: April 13, 2014, 10:59:07 PM »
So I just bought a nice Storm II that I got for $175 and simply couldn't pass up. The only problem is, I don't have any room in my home for it so it is setup in my storage unit and I go there to play when I can.

My question: Is being in storage a problem? Is there issues with the temperature fluctuation throughout the night/year, or anything else?

One of my concerns is repeated expansion and contraction of the materials may cause some of the corners to pull away.

Has anyone done anything like this and seen or not seen problems?

Re: Storage environment question.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 02:28:49 PM »
The temperature fluctuations should be no big deal although if it gets super hot, that might cause the glue to fail. Bigger concern is humidity. These tables are made of MDF which soaks up water like a sponge, but unlike a sponge, MDF does not shrink back down when it dries out.

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 06:16:56 PM »
I live in Utah, so the humidity is usually 15%-30% unless it is winter, then like 60.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 07:23:19 PM »
You should be fine. The coefficient of thermal expansion for MDF is 12 micrometers/ meter - degree K (thanks google), so let's say you have an extreme day, where it starts at freezing and ends at 100F, that is a swing of about 40 Kelvins. Your table is about a meter long, so we are talking about a length change of 480 micrometers. That translates to a lengthening of less than half of a millimeter (0.48 mm). If the temp swing is that much every day, you might start to see some joint loosening. But I suspect that your dark storage unit is rarely if ever going to have that big of a diurnal temp change, more like 10K on the hottest summer days, so now we are looking at 0.12 mm. This is on the order of human-hair thickness. The glues and screws should handle that with no problem.

Your humidity is a non-issue :-)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:40:50 PM by kgstewar »

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:57:03 PM »
Thank you for your insightful input.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 04:34:46 PM »
personnally i wouldn't take any chances. there has to be  a way to make room in the home.get rid of the kitchen or dining room table ,washer and dryer ,one of the kids.. something not absolutely necessary. seriously i don't think its a problem, make sure the rods and other metal have a light coating of silicone oil and maybe elevate the legs in case water gets on the floor.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 04:38:35 PM »
Not too worried about water, the unit itself has good external drainage and there is a lip going into the unit. Beyond that the adjustable feet are only plastic and metal for the first 4+ inches so it should be ok. So long as 120ish in the summer is ok. The door faces the sun so it wil probably get beyond ambient during the summer. Ambient peaking routinely 90-104 in the summer.  Still low humidity. And nights at about 65-75.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 06:26:12 AM »
Humidity is not a problem; thermal expansion and contraction is not a problem; flooding is not a problem. Will 120 degrees cause problems? Maybe. Why don't you try it out, keep an eye on the table, if problems arise, go to Plan B (whatever that is). Your monetary investment at this point is not huge.

Good luck!