Foosball.com Forums

The Garlando G-5000

The Garlando G-5000
« on: May 27, 2014, 03:33:56 PM »
Hello,

I am a casual foosball player interested in purchasing my own table.  I don't think I'll ever be a tournament player or anything, but I'm interested in having a table that plays well where I can at least improve my game and pick up aspects of "real" foosball.  Based on internet research, it looks as though tornado and dynamo are two of the most well known names in the game, especially Tornado.  However, those tables are really expensive, and while looks aren't my primary concern, I'd slightly prefer a table that is a little prettier.  I happen to have an opportunity right near where I live to purchase a garlando g-5000.  However, some of the materials seem non-standard (the playing surface is glass?).  I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about garlando in general and this table in particular, or if there is anything else from these listings that jumps out.

edit: I know the tornado coin op is the best value and everything, but I'm having trouble finding one.  Another question is will this table be so dramatically different htat skills won't transfer from one table to the other?

Thanks for your time!

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/tag/4488645315.html

http://www.mastersgames.com/cat/table-football/foosball-garlando-g5000-football-table.htm

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:08:03 PM by sasin »

Re: The Garlando G-5000
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 04:07:17 PM »
I've never played on one, but it looks like a Bonzini clone. The angled corners can be annoying (the ball shoots off of them like a ramp). I'm not sure about the glass surface, but I would be concerned about durability.

Having looked at the craigslist link you provided, I feel safe in saying you could get a nice coin-op Tornado for the same money. They key is patience and latitude in your area search.

Of course, Tornado's aren't known for being the best looking tables; but, in my opinion, playability trumps aesthetics.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 04:09:31 PM »
Thanks Denver!  Do you have any recommendations for search terms or anything?  I'm looking on craigslist and I find tornados but I'm not sure they're the correct model (I'm pretty sure they aren't).  I try "tornado" "coin-op" and "tornado" "marble" and can't find anything either!

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 04:19:31 PM »
Also, I just found this thread which is useful for table buying in general:

http://foosball.com/forum/index.php?topic=2704.0

But I'd still like to leave my current thread open in case anyone has experience with this garlando!  Looking on youtube, it does seem that there are garlando tournaments with a table that look similar.  Pros/cons and differences between this and a tornado, aside from durability and the 1 vs. 3 goalie would be appreciated!  Like I said, I'm trying to learn on whatever table I get and I want one that will be friendly to newer/more casual players if possible.  If it's easier to control the ball etc. that'd be a plus, but obviously my number one priority is the playing surface being level etc.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 04:53:14 PM »
I found mine by using an app on my smartphone which gave me a notification any time a Tornado came up in a predefined search area. They were mostly home models, but every once in a while a coin-op would pop up.

I was quick to respond and got the table. The guy who sold it to me said he had 8 would-be purchasers by 8am the next morning!

As far as differences are concerned, I can tell you right off the bat that the men are very different. It looks like the Garlando men employ a shorter, smaller, squared foot. These are useful for a variety of shots (back-pins, banks, etc...). It's more of an old-school style. To me, the squared feet yield a more frantic playstyle. The ball is harder to control. It may just be due to lack of experience, however.

The Tornado men have a long, wide, pointed foot which seems to grant more a supple control over the ball as well as the famed Snake Shot.

I think the main benefit to buying a Tornado in the U.S.A. is that they are very common amongst foos enthusiasts - thus allowing you to use your specific skillset outside of your home.

Offline FOOZUL

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 06:57:58 PM »
Buy a new Warrior table!!!

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 09:57:45 AM »
I found mine by using an app on my smartphone which gave me a notification any time a Tornado came up in a predefined search area. They were mostly home models, but every once in a while a coin-op would pop up.

I was quick to respond and got the table. The guy who sold it to me said he had 8 would-be purchasers by 8am the next morning!

As far as differences are concerned, I can tell you right off the bat that the men are very different. It looks like the Garlando men employ a shorter, smaller, squared foot. These are useful for a variety of shots (back-pins, banks, etc...). It's more of an old-school style. To me, the squared feet yield a more frantic playstyle. The ball is harder to control. It may just be due to lack of experience, however.

The Tornado men have a long, wide, pointed foot which seems to grant more a supple control over the ball as well as the famed Snake Shot.

I think the main benefit to buying a Tornado in the U.S.A. is that they are very common amongst foos enthusiasts - thus allowing you to use your specific skillset outside of your home.

Thanks Denver!  I appreciate the advice and that makes a lot of sense.  I still have my eye on this garlando but I'll keep an eye out for other tables.  If I can get a good price (sub 250), I may just buy the garlando because it's cool and then keep looking for the tornado... in a perfect world, if my house can fit both, I could have the two tables, they seem pretty complementary.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 01:13:58 AM »
If you can fit two tables, I'd maybe pick it up.  It plays a lot different than Tornado  Have a buddy that can't stand the Tornado style of play.  Been looking for a decent Italian style table. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:58:21 AM by Nosorog »

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 03:32:12 PM »
The G-5000 is fairly similar to the Garlando WC, which is a tournament table used in Europe.

It's a decent table. You'll want to upgrade the balls to ones that are gripper. The ball used for tournament play is the High Control Kicker Ball, but any decent ball (the Warrior ones are nice) will do.

How much is it offered for? Ideally you don't want to pay more than $400.

Edit: I see that it's $400, that's a decent price.

Also, someone mentioned the blocky feet. The G-5000 doesn't have the block style foot, it has the pinny feet, which are good for pins / snake shots etc.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 03:34:30 PM by SilentSam »

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 01:10:15 PM »
The G-5000 is fairly similar to the Garlando WC, which is a tournament table used in Europe.

It's a decent table. You'll want to upgrade the balls to ones that are gripper. The ball used for tournament play is the High Control Kicker Ball, but any decent ball (the Warrior ones are nice) will do.

How much is it offered for? Ideally you don't want to pay more than $400.

Edit: I see that it's $400, that's a decent price.

Also, someone mentioned the blocky feet. The G-5000 doesn't have the block style foot, it has the pinny feet, which are good for pins / snake shots etc.

Thanks Sam!  I was planning on trying to barter the price down around the $250 mark, do you think that'd be too low?  I'll invest in grippier balls for sure!  Do you think the pin feet are more difficult for very new foosball players, or about the same?

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 01:22:05 PM »
Also, here's the first t3000 I've seen and it's $1000...

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/spo/4499978074.html

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 06:04:25 PM »
Thanks Sam!  I was planning on trying to barter the price down around the $250 mark, do you think that'd be too low?  I'll invest in grippier balls for sure!  Do you think the pin feet are more difficult for very new foosball players, or about the same?

You can go for $250, but these things new are well over $1000, so that may be hard to do. Try it out, it probably wouldn't hurt.

As for the feet, it depends on how you're used to playing...

Block feet are actually better for fast tic tacs, push kicks, pull kicks, etc... A lot of new players enjoy block feet because it makes standard tournament play stuff like brush passing and pinning the ball really difficult. This narrows down skill gaps between tournament style players and casual players.

I prefer pin feet (due to the fact that I play tournament). You can do anything using pin feet that you can do with block feet, plus brush passing and pinning are much, much easier.

I'd say go for the pin style and don't look back.

Edit:
Pin Style:

Block Style:

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:10:29 PM by SilentSam »

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 06:38:09 PM »
sasin, i'm a fellow casual player but love foosball,you must too or i don't think you would be on the forumn. I have a table built in in 2000 with a glass playing surface so i wouldn't worry about durability. i wouldn't want to test it with a hard heavy ball though, i think you would want to stick with the cork balls. i know what your saying about used tornado coin ops being hard to find. most of the ones iv'e seen in my parts 'south central pa' have been non coin op going for 500$ plus, although there was a lady selling one in philly over the memorial day weekend for 60$!! . thats  over an hour drive away for me but  i'm still regreting not going for it. i'm still hoping to find one closer for cheap. if you dont bite on the garlando keep looking and skip over the junk.