Foosball.com Forums

Is a Tornado Storm II for $175 worth it?

Is a Tornado Storm II for $175 worth it?
« on: April 25, 2015, 07:07:20 PM »
Hey guys. I like foosball and have played on some nice coin op tables, but I just don't want to spend that kind of money.

Found a storm II for $175...I'm told no bent rods, no warped table, no busted in goal, no broken men. Is this a good deal? I know non-coin ops aren't the best, but is this good enough for home play/practice, and a good deal?

I do want to play casual local tournaments, but I don't see myself doing this any more than an occasional hobby thing so I don't really want to spend $500+

Let me know if you guys think I'm an idiot or not. Its also about a 2 hour drive away so take that into consideration.

http://imgur.com/NBVgDly,AfmLZ8G,KFbrHwh,21mIzlP,RNW81c5,0S462BP,RkLHPV6,z4aivlC#0

Here are the pics. Seller included pics of broken/rusted areas.

Re: Is a Tornado Storm II for $175 worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 03:31:06 AM »
This is a better than most starter table... likely needs better rods and counter bal figures to feel  and act anything like a tor. coin op or tp.  Repairs can be difficult on that.  It may also have smaller diam rods and figures... check into it 5/8" or 9/16". Could be a good stop gap and can get you started but those pictures like most are a bit vague to comment on condition or value.  I would not get too excited over it or make a special trip.  The most important part of starting foos is foos friends   this table will present limitations beyond that but could be a comprimise  starting point and stop gap... I personally would look for a brown marble  /cyclone2 /coin or similar for $300 -600... this is a base price range  you should expect if tournament practice is a consideration.  Warrior could be considered... but it is still an emerging standard.  Remember time is also money.  Do your homework then do some math on any table.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:52:05 AM »
The Storm II  has the same cabinet as Cyclone II the difference between them are rods and bearings. The rods have same outside diameter but metal is thinner on Storm II  therefore lighter rod. The Cyclone II has split bearings like Coin-op and the Storm II has a snap in bearing(the hole drilled in cabinet is smaller than for split bearing so no easy upgrade).  Both tables have the counter balanced men.

A Storm II in good condition will play consistent and at $175 I think you can have many hours of foos fun. If options are no table or this one for $175  I would buy this one.  I bought one a few years back and that is what got me back into playing foos.  I have since upgraded to coin-op but never regretted purchasing Storm II and at $175 I don't think you will lose money if you resell at a later date.

Offline alaskan thunder

• https://www.facebook.com/groups/firstcoastfoosball
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 09:26:53 PM »
Yes, it's worth it. You may want/need to upgrade down the road, but for the time being it will play better than 95% of other tables out there.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 10:54:42 PM »
My mistake, I am corrected...these guys are right it is a midrange tornado... I was thinking twister/whirlwind/sport for some reason... likely that price.