Foosball.com Forums

Foosball Basketball?

Foosball Basketball?
« on: December 01, 2015, 10:23:19 AM »
Hello,

I have my Dad's old Foosball game, or at least I believe it is a foosball game.

Description:
It has these magnetic "players" that have a magnet on each end and kind of cups the metal game ball. There is a blue team and a red team. each team has a goalie the defends their basket.
At each end of the table behind the baskets is a metal cage like thing that curves up to help prevent any of shots from going outside of the game. The table or playing ground has waves in it that provide low spots and high spots in between the players.

I have never seen a Foosball table like this before and was wondering what the game was actually called.

Does anyone have any ideas what this is?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Foosball Basketball?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 08:03:09 AM »
Here is a link to pictures I took of it...... https://www.flickr.com/photos/125714376@N02/shares/R4p8MQ

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 10:02:52 AM »
In my opinion, it is more intended to be a basketball game.  I don't think foosball players in general would be interested in this.  However, someone who is interested in nostalgic arcade games might find this intriguing.  (Think: American Pickers)

Check to see if there is a nameplate on or under the table or cabinet.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 10:07:58 AM »
Thank you very much!

I did email American Pickers as well and am waiting to hear back from them.

I didnt think to look under the table....i will do that tonight.

Thanks again for your help.....my goal is to track down the name and origin of this game.

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 08:00:32 PM »
I agree with papafoos in that I believe it's intended to be some kind of basketball game.  The fencing above the goals is probably a backstop to keep the ball from flying across the room after each missed shot.

Looking at the design of the rods, bearings and handles... my guess is the table is French or inspired by some French table.  I have a few foosball men with magnets in the foot but they look nothing like those in your pictures.  Look closely at the players, lots of old French table manufacturers hid a makers mark on them somewhere, usually on the chest.

A place to find out more information (maybe): http://www.stella-loisirs.com/
Not sure if the same person (whose name I forget) is still running the place but he has a good knowledge of most things antique foosball.  He does some restorations of old tables as well.

Good luck and post back with any findings!
John

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 07:22:05 AM »
Thanks John.... I will contact them today and will post what I find out!

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 10:07:36 AM »
This is a hard subject to google search. I hope you can find out more info, because this game looks really cool.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 11:20:25 AM »
What a cool game! I think I need one of these...

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 12:08:35 PM »
Thanks....but so far my searches have turned up empty..... No one seems to have any idea

This is a cool game to play..... I remember have tournaments with my brother back when we were younger.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 03:07:47 PM »
Update.... Ok, after speaking to my Dad and Grandfather this weekend I found out that this "foosball" table was actually a gift to my Grandfather from a Sicilian family that my Grandfather did book keeping for back in the 1960's. This was part of his payment he accepted from the family. Apparently this game came from Sicily, so I contacted a Sicilian news paper this morning and emailed them photos of the table in question...... The News paper got back to me and told me it was called "Calcio Balilla" which translates into "Table Football" or Foosball. If this is the case then why can I not find any pictures of similar tables out there? I am not 100% satisfied with this information so I will continue my search....just wanted to give you all an update.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 03:25:09 PM by MikeJH1979 »

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 04:50:19 PM »
I'm thinking the Sicilian newspaper didn't look closely at the photo and just assumed it was an old foosball table. No manufacturer's name or manufacturing marks anywhere? Bottom? Inside? On the men?

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 04:59:57 PM »
None what so ever..... I searched this table inside and out and cannot find any markings at all.