Foosball.com Forums

Replacement Bar

Replacement Bar
« on: April 20, 2016, 08:50:23 AM »
Just bought a used Harvard table for 50.00 and it had a broken man, or so I was told. The man isn't the issue, its the bar.
The men are counter balanced and installed on a solid 5/8 rod with pre-drilled & threaded holes.

The 2 man defensive/goalie rod has stripped holes in the rod, which will need replaced.
I can get the TS rod for $22.00 and shipping but I will also need the counter balance/screws as well.
Should I consider the thicker hollow 5/8 rod and buy new men just for that rod?
I'm not so sure I would like having different men on the one rod.

If there is anything I didn't think of, please feel free to advise.
Thanks in advance

Here is a link - couldnt insert the image...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1q7uU5-EMmuTS1jQTJTdWRnUlU/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 09:20:55 AM by purplenova »

Re: Replacement Bar
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 10:23:13 AM »
I honestly don't think you'll be doing yourself a favor in having two different types of Rods on your table. The feel is way too different. The hollow rods will be faster playing because they're lighter. If you're looking to keep you initial invest low until you can tell if Foosball is "your cup of tea", I would recommend getting the same solid type rod replaced.
If you've already been infected from Foosball fever however, and your table was "properly" used, aka lots of wear and tear, I would suggest replacing all of the rods, handles and players and of course new balls.

Hope this helps,

Joby

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 01:25:08 PM »
I honestly don't think you'll be doing yourself a favor in having two different types of Rods on your table. The feel is way too different. The hollow rods will be faster playing because they're lighter. If you're looking to keep you initial invest low until you can tell if Foosball is "your cup of tea", I would recommend getting the same solid type rod replaced.
If you've already been infected from Foosball fever however, and your table was "properly" used, aka lots of wear and tear, I would suggest replacing all of the rods, handles and players and of course new balls.

Hope this helps,

Joby

I played the game many moons ago and was somewhat good at it. Friend and I would play tournaments as doubles and placed 2nd and 3rd in several around the Dayton Oh area, in the late 70's very early 80's. All the tables back then TS Champion tables with the single goalie and the corner ramps. I haven't played since though. A lady I work with was selling this table and I figured 50.00 bucks, cant be too bad...  "Famous Last Words"

Seems like my table is a bit old. Even Escolade Sports, who made the table doesn't have the rods or the current men any longer. The rods they have are 9/16 and not 5/8. I will need to verify my rod size to make sure mine are 5/8.

Guess I will do some google/ebay searches to see what I find. May just buy the rod for a chest mount man and replace that one until I see where this goes.

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 03:27:06 AM »
don't spend too much... these harvard things are just large toys and people often give them away cause the men break too often... You can have some fun, but just don't get too invested;   It is a dead end. 

Any serious player will tell you to at least buy a shelti, tornado, fireball, dynamo, or even a TS if you are going to spend money.  On any table the rods need to be matched by the fastener type and size, rod length, men spacing, and rod diameter. This is beyond the basic 5/8" diameter, rod weight, and finish.

Have fun, but remember it is a fragile toy you have!!!

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 09:50:28 AM »
Hey hackjob, thanks for your input. Helps keep me grounded...lol

I have had some issues as you can tell. Main issue is, the rods are 5/8 and the mounting holes are threaded half way in. Those type men no longer exist, so im told.

My friend is going to see if he can drill out the threaded hole for me and then Im just going to buy some standard men (no balanced) to finish it out.

If he cant. I've found some hollow 5/8 rods for $70.00, guess I will buy them and the men and have about 100.00 in it and call it a day.

Just something to play with in the basement.....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 09:52:01 AM by purplenova »

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 09:14:01 AM »
Got my solid bars drilled out to accommodate the new men, that I was looking for.

Found a set of 26 Balanced Dynamo Squarebody men, to replace the old men. Also found 8 of the old men had stripped threads on the counter weight, so they had to be replaced anyway.

All done. Bars drilled and cleaned, surface cleaned new men on. Ready to play...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1q7uU5-EMmuV2FnaVpuS0FaODg/view?usp=sharing