Foosball.com Forums

Purchasing Advice / Table Recognition Help

Purchasing Advice / Table Recognition Help
« on: April 28, 2016, 05:02:59 AM »
Hi Guys,

I've had my eye on a table nearby that a guy is advertising as a Tornado T-2000 table from ~2000 -- obviously this isn't a thing; it appears to be a classic brown marble coin-op from late in its era (split cabinet, side return, wooden score markers, plastic feet).  He claims he is the second owner, both in private residences, and as a result the play surface and most other parts have been well maintained.  From what I can tell this looks like probably as good a deal as I'm likely to get for $750, as a brown marble in this condition is at this point difficult to find.  Does anyone have any input, or anything I should look out for if I make the 1.5 hour trip out to look at it?  Photos below.

Any insight is appreciated.  Thank you!

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
Re: Purchasing Advice / Table Recognition Help
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 08:38:25 AM »
My favorite Tornado coin-op the brown marble, yep that's a T2000 and could be real close to the year he claims. It looks to be in killer condition although  $750 is really high, make sure that the playing surface is not warped or separating anywhere. And check the goals for chip's. Retail on that table in that condition should not be above $500 in my opinion. Good luck, put on your negotiating hat and talk him down. Hope this helps-Snake

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 04:38:52 PM »
Thank you!  Pretty much the exact sanity check I was looking for.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 12:31:00 AM »
That table looks perfect. It even has the updated side strips. I'd say $750 is a steal.

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 08:12:51 AM »
Then you might as well wait for a T3000 from a tour stop near you for another $250. I have a grey marble I paid $600 for that was mint. 

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 06:06:31 PM »
How does one go about buying tournament-used tables?  Contact the organizer?  (For example, I noticed the flyer for the Warrior tournament in Cathedral City in June advertises the tables for $499 but does not mention how to go about making arrangements.)

Offline papafoos

• Good luck reaching me IM, I usually keep them off.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 09:49:51 AM »
Contact the tournament director or one of the people helping.  One of the best things about buying a tournament-used table is that you can actually try it before you buy it.  You'll have an opportunity to see if it has issues.  You could probably even get a couple of the more experienced players to help look for issues.  If possible, provide your own transportation to save on shipping fees.

Keep in mind, the brand of table will be whatever they are using at the tournament.  If it's a Warrior tournament, it will be Warrior.  If it's a Tornado tournament, it will be Tornado.  The Warrior will probably be a home model and the Tornado will probably be a coin-op.

I'm a Tornado player, but in the last couple of years Warrior has finally gotten their playing characteristics right.  They have a good entry price-point.  My biggest question on Warrior would be longevity.  In a home setting, I don't think it would be a problem.  In a commericial or high-use setting, the Tornado has the reputation of holding up even against abuse.  That's not to say it can't be destroyed by idiots.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the quality and playing characteristics of the tables that the department stores sell.  They do a disservice to serious foosball.  I can picture a person, who doesn't know what to expect from a car, going out and buying a Yugo,  then vowing to never buy a car again.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 11:40:34 AM »
Thanks for your input, everyone.  I cut my teeth on Tornado tables (though not tournament grade) and agree with the sentiment regarding any of the store brands; I feel fortunate to have started right.

I ended up talking to the guys at Warrior, as they are close to my work and were offering blemished tables at a discount.  Part of me feels as though it is a step down, but at the same time I went under budget, bought new, and I won't freak out as much if the kids bend the rods or break the guys.  By the time they're old enough to know better, I'll probably have lurked up a decent deal on a Tornado table, but in the meantime this is enough to get them a start and get the bad habits out of the way early.

Fairly certain I met the entire Warrior roster while I was there, they are definitely dedicated to the craft and seem like a reasonable bunch of dudes.