Foosball.com Forums

How much is a Whirlwind table worth?

How much is a Whirlwind table worth?
« on: November 15, 2006, 12:54:36 PM »
I am looking to buy a Whirlwind.  It is just under 2 years old and I want to make sure I am getting a good deal.  It does not have the metal sound when scoring and the men are not counterweighted.  The person said that he would take $300 for table.  Is that a good deal?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 12:58:05 PM by InetCarDude »

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
Re: How much is a Whirlwind table worth?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 03:36:27 PM »
Thats an ok deal if the table is in really good shape. This table is physically smaller than a regualtion table however. It's what i learned on. I bought a coin-op T2000 off ebay for $600.00 and it's indestructable. I like the weight and sturdiness of the table i have versus the whirlwind. But it is a good starting table..FYI you can purchase counter balanced men for this table to make it more playable.

Snake

Offline Carp

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 03:09:32 PM »
I personally would'nt buy most home models. ESPECIALLY the Whirlwind. DO NOT BUY A WHIRLWIND! It is terribly constructed. Cyclones are good. A coin op is really the best way to go. They hold up better and have a higher resale value. If you bought a coin op for $600 in couple years you could probably get that same amount back.

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 09:55:35 PM »
Hey guys,

I recently ordered a Tornado Whirlwind as my budget didn't really permit for the higher models. Is it really that bad?

I thought it being a Tornado it'd still be of decent quality and construction but without the fancy extras.

Should I spend the extra coin for a Cyclone or is the Whirlwind still a decent table for the price?

Offline Carp

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 07:54:25 AM »
I guess you could order counter balanced men for it.  The sidewalls are not as thick, so don't let anyone be banging them hard. As for the difference in weight, maybe you can add something that will beef it up. Did you order a brand new whirlwind?  My budget didn't allow for me to purchase new, but, I did some checking with the local vendors and found a coin op for $600.  It's in pretty good shape, came with two extra men per side, 6 extra rubber baby bumpers, about 5 roll pins, bearing wrench and I am picking up 4 spare rods and a few other unknown extras for it today. 

The deals are out there, as long as a good table is structually sound, one can replace any other part to make it right.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 08:30:25 AM »
I'm in Australia - there's not really many second hand ones on the market so I had to order one brand new. Does the Whirlwind still play relatively the same compared to a Cyclone/Storm II?

I know the Whirlwinds don't have as many features but as long as they still provide me hours of entertainment I'll be happy. I'm still a beginner so couldn't really justify the extra price for the Storm II... but you're starting to make me think otherwise.

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 12:24:00 PM »
If your skill level is beginner than your probly fine with the whirlwind. You will still get the fast play action of the Tornado tables, One thing that i didn't like as mentioned above was the non-counter balanced men that come standard on the whirlwind. This is extremely irritating when you are playing singles and it rolls back over when you shoot a hard shot from your back men, with that said if you do purchase a whirlwind be sure and order the counter balanced men and replace the stock ones. I learned the Snake shot on that table and we had it in our condo for at least 2 years of constant play with no problems. It is a lot lighter than my coin-op model so any way to get extra weight on the table will help considerably. Hope this helps.

Snake

Offline Carp

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 08:43:39 PM »
Ditto on what snake eyes said.  You can start with a Whirlwind, but keep your eyes open for a good deal on a better table in the future.  If you are really getting into the game, you will want something better in the future.  But, with counter balanced men, and a little weight added, it should allow you to practice any shot done on the better tables.  You might even consider building a table, and just ordering all the parts. 

Here are a couple of links to help./
http://www.foosball.com/tablebuildingguide.html
http://www.foosballstore.com/display/scat/price/373.cfm
http://www.tablefootball.com/Build_a_Foosball_Table.htm

Now, the prices listed in these are most likely very dated, but, it gives you what you need if you have the equipment and knowledge to take on such an endevor.
      I am personally going to build one for myself, using two Thicknesses of MDF for the sidewalls.  I plan to build the outside out of some rare hardwood and really trick it out with special trim and such. I am also thinking of mounting some UV LED lights in line with all the Playing field lines, scoring the flourescent men, and going Black light.  I also want to stick in a trigger behind each goal that takes a good shot to activate it, that turns on a digital recording of one of the announcers shouting..... GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAALLLLLL!    (hehee)
     Seriously, being down under, shipping would be insane, consider strongly looking into a home built unit.  I have the coin op to play on, now, to create a work of art that one could play on....That would be just great!

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 01:32:35 AM »
Thanks for the advice Carp and Snake.

Would you consider the Storm II as being a 'better' table?

The thing is that the tables are already on their way to Australia to a Australian distributor so I might as well get one. I'll probably go with the Storm II then.

Offline Carp

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 06:25:37 AM »
The Storm is step up for sure, but I have heard the Cyclone II plays exactly like a T-2,000.  Snakes advice on the Whirlwind is from first hand knowledge.  My earlier post about NOT buying a Whirlwind was copied from a personal e-mail that I received from a local Pro here in the Tulsa area.  He is also on the list of Official referrees for Tornado Tournaments and is the main organizer of such here in the Tulsa area.  So to be honest, I must recuse myself from any personal Whirlwind experience.  I haven't played competivley in over 25 years, but recently had the urge to start playing again.  I knew that if I was going to be competitve, I needed to practice on a tournament table.  If you plan to have a table for friends and family, to just have fun, the Whirlwind could be the ticket.  There is also the dreaded payment plan.  Perhaps you could take out a loan at a reasonable interest rate that is within your budget, that would allow you to purchase what you actually want.  I know that with all the online shopping for tables that I did.  The best deal overall were right here in the Tulsa area because shipping costs made all the others I looked at too much.  I did find a brand new coin op Tornado here for $1,595 US.  Which was a better price than anywhere online.  I chose a used coin op.  The table I bought has the counter still in it, and has 22,495 on the counter.  The table itself plays like new.  So, we get back to the same question, "How much is a Whirlwind worth"?
     Continue to shop, try all vending companies you can find in the phone book. (which is how I found mine)  Look in all the want ads of any publishing that sells things, call some bars/pubs that have foosball and ask them where they would suggest.  You've got the scent, now all you have to do is complete the hunt.
     Check your private messages here in this forum.  I sent you some info on a used coin op for less than $500 US.

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 06:45:00 PM »
I have to honest here, (nothing) really plays like a T-2000 coin-op. The Cyclone and the Storm are really good tables for the money but they do play a whole lot different than the tournament model. The first coin-op i owned had a very slick playing surface and metal side strips, the action was crazy but it really taught me control of the ball. When i would go to our local dyp it seemed like everything was alot easier with the new tables. Anyway it really depends on how serious you take your game, if it get in your blood like it did mine you will always want the best..Get your foos on..

Snake