Foosball.com Forums

Michigan

gunar

Michigan
« on: June 01, 2005, 08:47:47 AM »
I have only played the same 6 people, but have played each one of them probably 500 times easy....that was about 5 years ago...looking to get back into foosball.....only saw 3 league groups in michigan...bay city, harper woods, flint.....any others out there?

gunar

Re: Michigan
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 07:59:08 AM »
I have a few questions about league play...I have not been successful in getting a few of my calls returned (guessing some information about league play for michigan is outdated...)

does it cost anything to join up with a league?
do you just play against people, or as you play do you get instruction from the more experienced players?

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 12:16:06 PM »
I have a few questions about league play...I have not been successful in getting a few of my calls returned (guessing some information about league play for michigan is outdated...)

does it cost anything to join up with a league?
do you just play against people, or as you play do you get instruction from the more experienced players?

It costs money to play.  Some of the money goes to league overhead, a lot goes to the pot for the winning team.  How much depends on your local league.

By playing in league you qualify for the VIFA events at Vegas.

There are a few formats.  Most common:
You wind up on a team of 4 players, playing a bunch of different events including normal singles/doubles, roto-doubles (where you can only switch after scoring, and must do so), 4-on-4, goalie wars, forward shootout, etc.

The Michigan league has been historically very strong.

gunar

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 01:36:39 PM »
sorry for the additional questions....

USTSA is the place (for a membership fee) will keep offical scoring (done with points) for its members....

You can only earn those points at tournements like VIFA....you can't earn offical points for joining local leagues??

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 06:46:07 PM »
USTSA is the place (for a membership fee) will keep offical scoring (done with points) for its members....

You can only earn those points at tournements like VIFA....you can't earn offical points for joining local leagues??

World's, Vegas, and Nationals will earn official points.  VIFA doesn't count toward your official points.  Some of the regional tournaments (Texas states) are sanctioned USTSA events and do count toward your points.  I know some midwest tournaments (Minnesota?) do count.

Some really big tournaments don't count toward your points, and some (Kentucky) use different points entirely.

BUT, the point system is going through an overhaul and may change completely.

Local leagues do NOT count toward your points.

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 05:45:11 PM »
Here is a link for the .pdf file on Points Adjustments.
http://www.vifa.com/Points/PointsAdjustments.pdf

It does state that "Pro Tour Poster Tournament listings AND Pro Tour Major events are the only Tournaments that qualify for player points adjustments....

... then it lists the events at those tournaments that qualify.. and shows you the "math"

... note: there is a also a statement referring to a seldom used process...  "Promoters and VIFA Charter Holders also have the option of submitting adjustments to USTSA Headquarters for discussion.   

JimW

p.s.  e-mail me if you want to speak about what you are trying to do... i can maybe suggest some alternatives, or help you get on the "radar" of USTSA (VIFA) poiints system.   jim@foosball.com

robinser9

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 01:00:03 AM »

YES :D

Dispatch Lounge
Lansing, MI -Every Saturday Night, but call before Sept. to be sure.

Erik -517-484-6364

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 02:23:17 PM »
 ;Dyes there is a group in mt.clemens that's very experienced and the group in lansing, and the group from grand rapids are all excellent instructors. see you there

wittw

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 04:49:53 AM »
This is my first time contacting the site.  I've been an avid fan of foosball for the last year-and-a-half, having played competitively for about the same amount of time.  At 20, I am now starting a foosball club at Grand Valley State University in Michigan, and trying to set up intercollegiate matches between other nearby colleges and universities, such as Indiana University, and my Alma Mater, Southwestern Michigan College.  If it starts to take off, I’ll let you guys know.

As I said, this is my first time contacting you guys, so I have a few questions.  Bear with me if these questions seem dumb or redundant.

I had a question about training and practicing.  Other than just simple practice, are there any types of training equipment, such as weights for wrists, to help strengthen them at a faster pace?

I also had a question regarding shooting strategies.  I know shots like the rollover and such are very popular, and are great shots when executed well.  However, I've been steering away from that and have been focusing a lot of my practice time and game time working on the tic-tac series.  Would it be a good strategy to switch styles, or would it be safer to focus solely on one style or series of shots so that those become even better shots in the near future?

I also had a question in general about the tic-tac series.  I like to do this 3-pass shot between the #1 and #2 man on the forward rod, and then shoot with the #2 man, or a 1-2-1-2.  Some friends of mine used a stopwatch to see how fast I was getting off the passes and the shot, since all my buddies (whom I shut out quite regularly) say they can't see it, or at least can’t get there in time.
After doing a bunch of trials, I averaged about .6 seconds to get 3 passes and a shot from the #2 man.  My question is how fast can the "average joe" at the professional level do this, and other similar moves, such as a 2-1-3 Hack, etc.?  I imagine that some of the Pro Masters could rip this baby off in .3 sec or less.

Also, I was considering trying out foosball at the professional level sometime next year.  All of my friends and colleagues at GVSU say that I’m the best fooser they’ve ever seen, and some of these people say they know guys that make tutorial videos for the sport, and some even say they’ve played alongside pros before.  I was wondering if there are certain things I need to look for as indicators as to when would be the right time to join the USTSA.  How fast and accurate do I need to be able to pass and shoot?  Should I be able to stop the ball at defense 9 out of 10 times, or better?  What do I need to be able to do to win games at the professional level, and if I’m not there yet, what can I do to get there?

Thanks a bunch, and Happy Foosin'.

Mick Witt

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 01:49:52 PM »
I also had a question regarding shooting strategies.  I know shots like the rollover and such are very popular, and are great shots when executed well.  However, I've been steering away from that and have been focusing a lot of my practice time and game time working on the tic-tac series.  Would it be a good strategy to switch styles, or would it be safer to focus solely on one style or series of shots so that those become even better shots in the near future?

I would strongly recommend against using a tic-tac as your primary shot series if you're looking to score consistently on good goalies.  It can be highly effective against beginners.

There are only 2 pro-masters (of 200) who shoot this series regularly.  Lazlo Teke does, but he switches to a front-pin against good goalies.  John Zoller shoots it almost exclusively, but he has trouble scoring on pros (and has never won a major open title, or even really gotten close).

It's incredibly hard to execute consistently, day in and day out.  Even when it's on, it has the same problems that push-kick and pull-kick series have (including being somewhat raceable).  If goalies are buying your fakes, shifting out of the motion, failing to follow you, leaving dinks open, etc then you can score--but good goalies won't bite often, and your percentages will drop.

But if you find you can score effectively on top goalies, may as well stick with what works.

Also, I was considering trying out foosball at the professional level sometime next year.  All of my friends and colleagues at GVSU say that I’m the best fooser they’ve ever seen, and some of these people say they know guys that make tutorial videos for the sport, and some even say they’ve played alongside pros before.  I was wondering if there are certain things I need to look for as indicators as to when would be the right time to join the USTSA.

Join whenever you feel like going to a major tournament.  There are different divisions (amateur, semipro, pro, open) and you'd start off as an amateur (meaning that you can play the amateur events and higher level events as well).  It's well worth going to a local weekly tournament to see what the tournament players are like (Michigan has some great players), but even just jumpin in at a major can be a fun experience.

How fast and accurate do I need to be able to pass and shoot?  Should I be able to stop the ball at defense 9 out of 10 times, or better?  What do I need to be able to do to win games at the professional level, and if I’m not there yet, what can I do to get there?

If you can stop 50% of a good pro's shots then you're doing well.  If you can stop 30% of his passes that's respectable.

To win a major title at the amateur level, you should be familiar with the rules (at least know and recognize stopped ball passes/adjustments/2-wall violations, jars/resets, and other common violations) and be able to:

1. Pass effectively from the 5-bar to the 3-bar against players with a good 5-bar defense.  This means passing 90% or better against non-tournament players, and at least 60% against tournament-caliber players.
2. Score effectively; you should be scoring close to 100% (say 95%) against non-tournament players who are trying to race you around and you should be able to read a good motion defense and pick the holes to score at least half the time on good tournament goalies.  You should have some experience blocking people who shoot less common shots (push, push/pull kick, tic-tac, front-pin) and you should have played enough to shut down gimmicks like texas T, scorpion, etc (which amateurs will go to).
3. Play effective defense: you should have a good 5-bar defense especially, and know how to block shooters who have a rollover or pull shot that you can't race.  You should know at least a couple effective zone defenses to use in singles, and a couple to use in doubles.  In singles, you should be comfortable defending against a 2-to-5 passing series without opening up a lot of shooting holes, and in doubles you should be able to stop 2-to-3 passing while maintaining your zone.  In singles, you should be able to play 5-bar defense with your right hand to cut off the shooting options from the 5-bar.
4. Clear and shoot effectively from goal against a wide variety of defenses.
5. Control the ball; you should be good at catching loose balls, preventing hard shots from bouncing out of goal back to the opponent, be able to reign in those balls that are nearly out of reach, etc.
6. Shut down sloppy banks and angles to prevent easy junk from scoring.
7. Be able to adjust; have backup options for passing and shooting (this doesn't mean a second crappy shot; it usually means having enough options with your primary shot/pass so that  you can try some new stuff).
8. In singles, at least be able to stop players with a very fast transition game (being able to play that style can wait).

And you need to be able to do all of the above for a couple days straight, consistently, and manage your sleep and endurance (don't shoot your arm out on day one).

To get there, you need both practice and tournament experience (playing weekly tournaments or other live-game experience against good tournament players).

Practice should be focused, and at the amateur level should center almost exclusively around ball control and passing.  If you practice passing, then in your live play you'll get to pass against live opponents and then when you're successful you'll get to shoot against live opponents.  If you practice shooting, then in the live play you'll never have the ball and you'll never get to practice passing or shooting.  Just practice moving the ball back and forth across the 5-bar between all the men at first, and your passing will get a lot better just from being able to set the ball up and being comfortable with it.

I'm a fairly successful amateur (I've won MD States, Philly championship, just won the Maryland Classic amateur doubles this weekend, a few top-10 finishes at majors) and I've never practiced my shooting.  Just shooting in games is plenty, and the solo table-time spent working on passing and ball control is a much better time investment.

wittw

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 04:00:02 AM »
I have a question about finding tournaments.

First, other than at bars, how do you find a tounrament?  Are there specific sites that have a bunch of info on them, or is there a newsletter that anounces specific tounreys and majors?  Do you have to be a member of the USTSA to be in these tournaments?

Also, it seems that there arent many pro-tournaments in Michigan/Northern Indiana.  Is this because I'm not looking in the right place, or is it that there really aren't that many tourneys held here?

There are sites, such as the Michigan Foosball Registry (a link is at foosball.com), and I registered my name there, too, just to let others know I'm here, but there has to be more.  I mean, it doesn't make sense that a person would go pro in Michigan if there were no pro-tournaments held in the state.

Who do I contact (or what site should I check out) to find information on upcoming foosball tournaments and events close to me?

Thanks again, and Foos on!

Mick Witt

P.S.

The GVSU Foosball Club is up and running, and, after just three days of sign-ups, there are already over 30 people in the club!  We're also going to get funding by the school, which we'll use to get new tables, extra equipment, and run tournaments and road trips to other colleges! Go Laker Foos!

Offline snake eyes

• Carpe De Foos
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 02:55:38 PM »
I am respectfully leaving this website due to no response to questions i had for the pro's. It seems you have to be a full fledged member to get any feedback here.
Happy Foosing.

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 03:16:15 PM »
I have a question about finding tournaments.

First, other than at bars, how do you find a tounrament?  Are there specific sites that have a bunch of info on them, or is there a newsletter that anounces specific tounreys and majors?  Do you have to be a member of the USTSA to be in these tournaments?

Weekly tournaments happen in a lot of areas (usually in bars).  I usually google for things like "virginia foosball" or whatever.  "michigan foosball" turns up:
http://www.geocities.com/wilson_works/tournaments.html

Once you find a local player they can usually fill you in on other tournaments in the area.

Also, it seems that there arent many pro-tournaments in Michigan/Northern Indiana.  Is this because I'm not looking in the right place, or is it that there really aren't that many tourneys held here?

There are sites, such as the Michigan Foosball Registry (a link is at foosball.com), and I registered my name there, too, just to let others know I'm here, but there has to be more.  I mean, it doesn't make sense that a person would go pro in Michigan if there were no pro-tournaments held in the state.

Usually one state championship and a bunch of weekly tournaments is standard unless you're in a big foosball haven (Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kentucky).

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 04:50:32 PM »
I am respectfully leaving this website due to no response to questions i had for the pro's. It seems you have to be a full fledged member to get any feedback here.

I don't think there are any pros that post on here.  I try to answer questions if I know the answers, but your questions were all regional things I didn't know or one about wrist strengthening/snake that I have no answer for--I'm a pull shooter, and I've never tried to do any foos-specific excercises.

I've known some people who put that lead golf tape on the rods during practice but it doesn't seem too helpful to me.

Offline SumnerH

• No spinning, have fun!
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 04:53:42 PM »

Oh: all the majors get announced at www.vifa.com.

For the past several years there have been 3 each year (Vegas "tour kick-off/hall of fame classic/international championship", Nationals, and Worlds).  Worlds has been in Dallas but will move to Vegas next year.  Nationals floats around (it's been in Chicago and Minneapolis recently).

Rumor is that next year will be the old Vegas (in Vegas), Worlds (in Vegas), US Open (in Colorado) and a Nationals replacement (in North Carolina), and possibly a 5th major in Europe.

You have to be in USTSA to play them, but you can join on-site if you show up (it's $20 a year fee).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 04:55:15 PM by SumnerH »