Foosball.com Forums

Tornado Storm a good buy?

Tornado Storm a good buy?
« on: December 04, 2007, 12:57:30 PM »
Hello. I am new to this forum and had a quick question. I am at the point with foosball where I beat all my friends and most people I run into at the bar. I also get smoked anytime I play someone that is into the game and plays in tournaments.

I am looking to buy my first table(not counting one that cost $100). I have been told by some that the storm is a decent table, but I will want to upgrade soon so I should just start out buying a nicer table. A friend of mine has a storm he is willing to sell for $500. It is in good shape. That seems like a good price to me?

If I want to start playing tournaments eventually, should I go for this table, or buy a nicer one right off the bat. Thanks for any feedback.

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
Re: Tornado Storm a good buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 04:06:32 PM »
$500 is too much for a Storm...depending on how much you have to spend will make a difference on approach but better to save and not buy twice in my opinion...so the goal would be to get you a clean used last generation Grey Marble coin-op...if you can't swing that, $1150 for tournament used, like new, plus shipping or you may be able to pick one up and save shipping

there have been a bunch of threads on buying a table...I may make a document one of these days...here is part of one thread...I have provided a link to the thread and another I thought was helpful

this was my response to GCP...he ended up buying a Cyclone which he is returning and is now getting the grey marble...I can help with details on finding and buying a grey marble but there are things you need to know...some of this can be read in the links below...feel free to contact me at the contact information below if you want to discuss details

-----------to GCP from ,  Foosball in the 70's « 1 2 » ------------

don't worry about how much time it takes...don't let your impluse keep you from buying the right table...buy a used coin op...if you don't have enough money now, wait, if you do have enough money and we will talk about you finding a good deal...I would buy either the last grey marble model and there will be plenty of those still around from pomoters or the old brown marble...if you can, do the grey marble...I will tell you more later but for now I just wanted to stop you from buying the Cyclone or Storm

gotta run for now, I will check again later or you can email me anytime or call my cell phone after work hours

bbtuna
bbt
charles
backpinrules@yahoo.com
816-665-7798

other link
How to evaluate a used Tornado coin-op before purchasing it

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 04:22:28 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I will get in contact for more info. I tried to do a search for other threads on this. From what I've read I thought $500 was reasonable, but I guess not. Thanks.

Offline grandmaster

• Any table, any time.
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 06:04:42 PM »
$300 is reasonable, besides you need to buy a used coin op like bb said. The play is better and they are more easily moved becaus of the two piece construction. Nothing plays like a Tornado coin op. It is the "Standard".

Offline gcp

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 06:21:10 AM »
Well my table football friends, the month old pealing rods Cyclone was returned to Rodney about a week ago, and a gray marble coin op (through Charles Macintosh) has arrived at a friend's store and is awaiting my pick-up upon my return home from Kauai on the 21st. To bbtuna and the rest of you experts, thank you very much for steering me in the right direction. And thank you to Rodney for standing behind his defective product. No doubt Tornado has issues with the chrome plated rods, lets hope my new coin-op proves every bit as good as people say it is.

Funny thing about all this is that my wife, who has never played the game before, and who has been learning the past month, is now in absolute love with the game. While this transaction was going on she kept reminding me that "...I don't want to be left without a table ok? Get it ordered so it'll be here by the time we come back home....".  Guess that's how a man gets what he wants without any home issues, he convinces his wife that what he wants is what she wants. Guess I'll be putting a table together in short order upon my arrival. A man just can't get a break around here ;)

Offline gcp

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 08:12:25 AM »
Gang here's my update. I picked up my coin-op on Thursday and brought it home. When I unpacked it I noticed a bit of damage in one of the hinges of the lower base. It was bent a bit and there where a couple of cracks on the mdf but at the very edge so they proved to be of no structural significance. So I removed the bracket and straightened it out, plus used super-glue on the cracks to help fill them in and further solidify them. I put it all back together, assembled/got the coin mechanism to operate, and then mounted the table on top of the base. The top is still not perfectly square to the base but it does close if one corner is pushed a bit so I'll have to work on it a bit more over the holidays. The table is much more substantial than the Cyclone but I can't say that it plays better. Matter of fact I kind of liked the Cyclone's playability better but maybe it's a matter of getting used to the coin-op and/or cleaning and oiling the rods a few more times. They just don't seem to be as smooth as the Cyclone's but I'll continue to work on them (there was a bit of surface rust on a couple of the rods so I used a bit of oil and 0000 steel wool to polish them to appropriate slickness).  All in all I guess I am happy enough but I also need to work on the sound of a scoring ball a bit, this table doesn't sound as intoxicating as it should so any suggestions to amplify the scoring sound will be appreciated. Also there was discussion on how to disconnect the coin-op mechanism a while back but I can't seem to find it. Can someone describe how it's done? Actually I don't mind feeding coins but there's gotta be a better way.....I also stained and sealed the grips for better look/longevity.

Here's a few pics http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/0703/George/Table%20football/?action-tageditmany&fromupload=1

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 10:27:15 AM »
you wanted advise on how to make the goals louder...HIT THE BALL HARDER!

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 10:33:59 AM »
clean the rod and bearings, get all old dirt and substances used for "lubing"  use only silicone on the rods don't "polish" them

make sure the tightness of the bearings is right...as tight as possible without pinching the rod

on the damage, you need to tell Charles Macintosh about that and I will be very surprised and disappointed if he doesn't give you some credit for that...if it was damaged in shipping you should be able to collect something (likely more than Charles will give you) from the Carrier

great table, you will grow to love it...now start adding extra weight inside...I have started putting 25 lb bags of lead shot and I will do that until I have about 200 lbs extra...helps the stability and therefore aggresive play

I have to run right now so here is one thing on the coin op...didn't Charles supply slugs?...I will write more later

CONGRATULATIONS!

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 11:48:12 AM »
i wouldn't have recommended sanding the handles or sealing them...but thats just me...they will wear in due time, plus the new handles help build callus' on your hand...i think thats how you spell it?  I would definately try to get some credit for the damaged cabinet......Im a picky s.o.b.    I would have hit the ceiling if my table was damaged....but you seem handy and the fix looks good.....As far as the noise in the goal box......The rods on your new table are a little lighter and the feel isn't there yet...as my friends would say quit hitting that limp wristed shot and man up.....

Offline gcp

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 01:21:27 PM »
Now hold it a minute guys, I slap the bejesus out of the balls, no weak wristed shots here. A man's man don't ya know  8) 8) Maybe the 3 weeks off made me lose my touch a bit but it's coming back....

All kidding aside, maybe the goal plates were a bit looser on the Cyclone, who knows. I did take the bearings off and cleaned them, and by doing so, and using silicon it now plays much better.  Gotta get used to it I guess. BTW, why do they calls these two plastic inserts bearings? That's a misnomer!

I did talk to Charles and he told me to get in touch with the carrier. I wrote him back and said you guys help me collect at least the shipping cost. His wife wrote back and reported they'd help me collect but it might be after XMAS. It's wait and see for now. Truth is I too am one picky SOB, and if things don't go my way, when I'm right, I can become a royal SOB but this was not structural, plus not cosmetic on the out side, and since I was able to practically correct this minor problem, I'll just wait for the shipping refund. No need, at this stage, to be demanding a pick-up and a new table delivery, unless of course the shipper starts tap dancing at which point all bets will be off. But I don't believe we'll come to that, Charles seems to be a straight shooter. BTW he did not supply me with slugs, don't even know what these are....I assume coin replacements?

I did not sand the handles, but I did stain (golden oak) and sealed them (one light coat of rub-on polyurethane), cause I can't stand the dirty handles look. This table was used  at a tournament you see....I also loaded it up with two 45lbs dumbbells, a bag of lead shot I had laying around from my shotgun reloading days, and I included a couple of sand bags I had in the garage for good measure. Also stored the spare parts the came with the table for easy access if/when I need them. The whole package feels good! Came with a promotional DVD but is there anything else out there of benefit to a midrange player other than practice, practice, practice?

Thank you for your help, you're a great bunch of guys, I am very happy to be part of your group.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 02:47:45 PM by gcp »

Offline Rios

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 05:09:39 PM »
DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL ON THE RODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You will scratch the hell out of them, and ruin them!!!! 
I wouldnt have stained or sealed the handles eaither... it just makes them slippery when your hands sweat.  You should just ALWAYS keep all of the rods wrapped.  It will make your handles last forever.
As far as training aids, get some of the Inside Foos DVD's.  I watch them and learn from the best... singles zones, passing techniques, shot mechanics... etc.

Also, you cant beat actual tournament experience, and getting to see the big dogs play in person. Go to as many tournaments as you can and just play and play and play... and learn...

Offline gcp

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 06:49:25 PM »
OK guys, the black goal sounds muffled while the other sounds as it should. How do I go about adjusting it?

Thanks,
gcp

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 08:41:07 PM »
I agree about the handles...it isn't cool especially if you are OCD that the handles get dirty over time when used without wraps but varnish and laquer are not the answer

I agree with the wraps...I bought my table brand new and haven't played 5 min in 3 years without wraps and so the handles are like brand new

if you want to fix all the little imperfections on your table you will want to get a hold of Mark Murrell in Wichita KS...you can reach at the other foosball board...you can see by these video's and his talk that he isn't the best communicator but he is a great engineer and he can do a number of things to tweak your table to better the tollerances and play

The Board
http://foosballboard.com/phpBB/index.php?sid=2e7be5a1114b57bda432ead7b99ed162

well, i went to look for those threads thinking I knew right where they would be but I will have to search some more...

bearings, side strip, goal mouth reinforcement, maximizing rod movement (long explanation I won't get into now), tighter men and a bunch of comsemtic things if you are handy which it appears you are...

In the past, I have not pursued this because I didn't want to make my practice table the best table I play on so that every time I went to another table, I was constantly disappointed and needing to adjust...I am beginning to change my mind...I am old enough now and given my available time and money, I will never get to the level I would like so if I practice and play, it is for my enjoyement and I spend more time on my table than any other and I want to make that as good an experience as I can...I will worry about adjustments and expectations later...

right now, I am thinking of creating, as much as possible, the best tournament table I can

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 08:42:46 PM »
on the goal...don't know, never heard (excuse the pun) of this issue...you will need to study the differences and figure out what is muffling the one and do some reverse engineering

Offline bbtuna

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 08:44:24 PM »
on learning...Inside Foos video will show how the game is played today at the highest levels and you can study your favorite players