Foosball.com Forums

mental attitude

Offline bbtuna

• TS, Dynamo, Tornado, Warrior, & Fireball
Re: mental attitude
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2009, 11:44:43 AM »
OM,

I agree but that is because I am the kind of person who likes and can relate to this.  As zeek said early on, not everyone responds to this sort of thing.  I have 3 foos friends who are working on their game and I collected all zeeks stuff and put it into one document (with a little formatting and editing) and sent it as a training document.  One of them for sure will benefit because he is for sure wired like that, one I am not certain but if he can tap in it will push his game to the next level, and the last one I wonder why I sent it because I don't think he will even read it and if he did I just don't think he will connect.

this isn't an intellect thing either because all of them are above average smarts and the one I don't think will connect has a genius IQ was in Mensa but despite that, he is a "natural" player.  He plays a very intellegent/tricky game, as you would expect, but I really don't think he connects with or needs this so much.  I think he is one of the people Zeek talks about who do this naturally and for those kind of people this might actually hurt making them consider things they don't need to.

I don't know for sure because I don't have enough experience with it but we will see.  I know this should be able to help a ton of people though and I am certain it will help me.

either way, it is the as good as anything else I have read on the boards and for sure the most detailed.  I hope John will keep going.

« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2009, 03:20:18 PM »
I once tried to pick the brain of a kid who was on top of the archery heap, just a wonderful world class shooter. I asked him about his mental process, did he do this or that and he looked at me like I was nuts. He said if he thought about that stuff he'd never hit anything. A few years later a friend of mine won every pro discipline that year in three different world championships, indoors, outdoor target, and field. In short he was the best shooter in the world hands down. And yes he worked on his mental game and could relate perfectly. Like I said, there are two types. Those who execute on the conscious level and those who execute on the subconscious level. I would suspect that you, like me, are the latter just by your preference for the backpin game. Who has time to think, just act. I'm sure John know's who the golfer was back when. He, again, was THE guy and after winning everything there was to win was asked if he would write a How-to book. Apparently he never thought about how he did it, he just did it but he gave it his best shot. So in an effort to identify what he did he paid attention to everything he did and in the process he ruined his game. He never won again. Scary huh? Some can execute while controlling everything, some execute while being what we called brain dead. Flow is what works for that type, fun fits in nicely for that to happen. If there is anything that will mess up my game it is when my partner tells me to slow down as I'm seeking that "flow" and slow isn't it and that other game(deliberate set ups) isn't it. I am not saying I'm on par with these guys but Spree and Freddy seem to play "in flow". Do you think their partners would tell them to slow down? I guess that is a whole other discussion,,,

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2009, 05:05:02 PM »
I used to hate getting beat by people like that. The common belief was that you were born with the ability. Either you had it or you were screwed. Lucky for me they were wrong.

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2009, 05:30:04 PM »
Lucky for us

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2009, 07:14:26 PM »
tuna
  i tried to send you a pm but your inbox was full. if you could pm me your email, i have a few questions.
zeek

« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2009, 01:05:26 AM »
You still hitting the locals John?

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2009, 05:24:29 PM »
As you have probably figured out, I believe in concepts. Remember that concepts are ways of thinking about things. They are simply useful information and cannot in them selves do anything. Some are useful, but there are other concpts that are not useful. Ultimately, you place the meaning on them, based on your beliefs and values (ill get into beliefs and values a little later).

So here is another of my favorite resourceful concepts. The last one before I get into the nuts and bolts of HOW we create our reality.

REALITY

"Nothing is real, but words make it so"

Meatball, finals match, national championship. Forward gets the ball, sets it up, and strokes a long pull for the win. The forwaqrd is extatic. His reality is that this is the best thing that has ever happened. The goaly is devastated. His reality is that this is the worst thing that has ever happened. One event, two completely different realities. Which one is right? Your saying both. And your right. But how could that be?

First lets look at what really, really hapened.

A thing (the man) pulled another thing (the ball) a few inches, and then hit it into a place (hole). In the real world, thats all that happened!

The world is one big happening. Billions, trillions of happenings going on constantly every minute of every day. We place meaning on these happenings, based on the programming in our minds received from previous life experience, thus creating our reality.

And we can choose what meaning we place on these hapenings, if we know HOW.

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2009, 05:32:10 PM »
Hey Ice
  Been playing at Clicks in arlington. I like those t3000s. Bankable. Havent seen you there lately. I actually won one the other night.

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2009, 06:06:06 PM »
As you have probably figured out, I believe in concepts. Remember that concepts are ways of thinking about things. They are simply useful information and cannot in them selves do anything. Some are useful, but there are other concpts that are not useful. Ultimately, you place the meaning on them, based on your beliefs and values (ill get into beliefs and values a little later).

So here is another of my favorite resourceful concepts. The last one before I get into the nuts and bolts of HOW we create our reality.

REALITY

"Nothing is real, but words make it so"

Meatball, finals match, national championship. Forward gets the ball, sets it up, and strokes a long pull for the win. The forwaqrd is extatic. His reality is that this is the best thing that has ever happened. The goaly is devastated. His reality is that this is the worst thing that has ever happened. One event, two completely different realities. Which one is right? Your saying both. And your right. But how could that be?

First lets look at what really, really hapened.

A thing (the man) pulled another thing (the ball) a few inches, and then hit it into a place (hole). In the real world, thats all that happened!

The world is one big happening. Billions, trillions of happenings going on constantly every minute of every day. We place meaning on these happenings, based on the programming in our minds received from previous life experience, thus creating our reality.

And we can choose what meaning we place on these hapenings, if we know HOW.
I like where you're going . I'll just sit back and take it in as I think I post too much of what I think, it's a Norwegian thing,,,

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2009, 06:11:29 PM »
I, for one, am totally digging this.  Keep it up, it's been giving me a lot to think about and I'm looking forward to keeping this in mind tonight as I practice.  A big thank you to all of you who have added to this thread.

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2009, 06:54:34 PM »
I know what you mean Big Brew, I just found myself in practice  looking for the 'right picture'. Hey, it's true, that's how it works. Play the right video and you're smoking,, :D

« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2009, 07:53:26 PM »
you just hit the nail on the head meister

« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2009, 08:35:25 PM »
OK Zeek/John, at the risk of being too 'Norwegian" is it incomplete "pictures" that allow us to fall short or what? I can see where practice gives us reinforcement on our visuals. I'm not trying to put you on the spot because I know certainly that we have to strive for improvement and that improvement comes from practicing in the right way. But is it the ability to identify those visuals and ascertain whether they are complete and positive or incomplete thus less positive, thus needing more attention and honesty?

« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2009, 10:38:59 PM »
Your forcing me to get ahead of myself here, but this goes to the heart of what i have learned.

Meister
We all have millions of videos/pictures stored in our amazing computer. Every event since the day we were born. Both positive and negative. When an event happens, we assign its priority, its strength, by how much emotion we ad to the event. The stronger the emotion, the more powerful the event is registered in your subconscious mind. This applies to both positive and negitive events. When you encounter another event of the same nature, your subconscious mind searches for simular events and calls up the recorded response. If this was an event of an unwanted outcome, and you reacted with strong negative emotion, your unconscious mind will reproduce this reaction. It thinks that is what you want! And if you allow this to happen unconsciously, you just reinforce the negative reaction and experience all the negative emotions. So not only do you reinforce the negative event, you get to suffer as well.

As for your question, you dont make incomplete pictures. You have many pictures of your shot, both positive and negative. If you have empowered the negative results more than the positive, you will get more negative results. Unless you understand this, and know how to program your machine. Im getting to that.

BigJ
The key to getting the most out of practice is to empower the positive results, and give no emotion to the unwanted results. I will be getting into how to do this. But for now, here are some suggestions.

1) Quality practice is more important than quantity practice.
2) Take the time to visualize what you want on every shot. Jack Nicklaus said "i never hit a shot without giving it my complete attention and intintion". Make this a part of your preshot routine.
3) When you achieve the shot you are looking for, take the time to relish the results. Add positive emotion. Pump your fist. Tiger does. (this is called anchoring)
4) When you get unwanted results, take the time to notice the negative emotions. Dont resist them. Just notice them with curiosity (this is important) and wait them out They will just fall away. You can learn to do this, and this sends a signal to your unconscious mind that you dont really want this reaction. I will show you a method for doing this.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 10:46:28 PM by zeek mullins »

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2009, 01:30:18 PM »
Well it's taking a little time to put together the next bit on "focusing mechanics". I want to make sure i can get it across and still keep it interesting. It involves a lot of detail. It will take a few days to get together. In the mean time, here's some interesting information I learned during my journey.

PERSONALITY TYPES   

I attended several training seminars where they stress the importance of understanding the four basic personalities. The trainer I learned from teaches the personalities as precious gems, because all personalities are precious.

The Sapphire Personality.
  This personality is motivated by fun. They are the life of any party.
-   Trend Setters
-   Trendy jewelry and bright hair colors
-   Very expressive
-   Very optimistic
-   Positive thinkers
-   Risk takers
-   Tend to be disorganized
-   Not timely (generally late to appointments)
-   Love surprises
-   Hate silence
-   Don’t do things alone
-   In their language…”rules are made to be BROKEN.”

The Sapphire’s gifts are…
1)   Faith walkers
2)   Dreamers
3)   To encourage and motivate

The Sapphire needs to learn…
1)   To stay focused and stay with a project
2)   To become organized

The Second Personality is the Pearl Personality:
  This personality is motivated by a cause. They love to help people
-   Dress comfortably
-   They like a natural look
-   Love easy listening music
-   Very spiritual – they love to help and serve
-   Very loyal and encouraging
-   Non-demanding and non-confrontational
-   Enjoy routine
-   Peacemakers
-   Passionate people – they must have a cause
-   Long term thinkers

The Pearl’s have the gift of…
1)   To help and serve
2)   Planners
3)   Making a difference

The Pearl needs to learn…
1)   Wisdom
2)   Stop letting people take advantage of you
3)   Stop giving without expecting a return. This leads to being hurt.

The Third Personality is the Emerald Personality:
  This personality is motivated by facts and figures. They are very orderly and analytical.
-   Large vocabulary
-   Enjoy instruction
-   Only personality that is on time
-   They want the truth
-   Predictable – very scheduled
-   Perfectionists
-   Well planned – No waste
-   In their language…”rules are made to be FOLLOWED.”

The Emerald’s have the gift of…
1)   Teaching
2)   Wisdom
3)   Order

The Emerald needs to learn…
1)   It is not about being perfect, it is about getting the job done WITH results.

The Fourth Personality is the Ruby Personality:
  This personality is motivated by a challenge. They are very goal oriented
-   Intense
-   Strong desire
-   Focused
-   Hate failure – very competitive
-   Confident
-   They want to be the best and are always sizing up their competition.
-   Tend to be over committed
-   They say yes to everything and have difficulty delegating

The Ruby Personality has the gift of…
1)   Being open to being trained so they can be the best.

The Ruby Personality needs to learn…
1)   Humble your confidence
2)   Stop settling for peanuts
3)   Remain teachable
4)   Never stop setting goals
5)   Find the best use of your time
6)   Compete against personal best/Look in the mirror
7)   List priorities

Understanding this information has come in handy for sizing up and deciding how to deal with people. Each personality has its place in certain situations, and the goal is to be able to put your self in the proper personality for the situation at hand. Plus its fun to try to determine a particular persons personality type. For example, what do you think is the best personality for a forward, goalie etc.